Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

Flywheel T60 removal tool needed over the Easter weekend

Hey everyone,
I know this might be a long shot but I drove my 2001 540i all the way from Detroit back home to Gatineau/Ottawa to removed the transmission and fix a coolant leak AND I don't have the flywheel T60 removal tool. Does anyone in the area have one or know where I can find a T60 tool?!
kaiser16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Canadian tire sells a impact torx kit, you'll have to whittle down the shaft of the bit to make it fit in the offset hole. Got mine 2 years go and used it several times, works great for me.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...l#.VvWB7uIrKHs
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
blk3
5th Gear Member

I think Home Depot sell a torn set as well
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks! I picked up a set today, hopefully it fits okay!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
doogee
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Unfortunately you're going to need a specialty tool to get the flywheel off like this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/83300491018/

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

I bought the T60 from Canadian tire and ground down the shaft of the tool to make it fit in the offset hole. What a strange and heavy flywheel! I was able to fix the coolant leak, changed the main seal, replaced the rear coolant manifold gaskets at the same time. I also replaced the clutch. Everything fit and installed easily although I did not have the alignment tool for the clutch. All I did was have the pressure plate bolts hand tightened and aligned the clutch with a socket and extension and then pop off the pressure plate pretension "thing". Now everything is back together and finished but the clutch won't disengage! How does that tool work and is that the problem!?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser16 View Post
I bought the T60 from Canadian tire and ground down the shaft of the tool to make it fit in the offset hole. What a strange and heavy flywheel! I was able to fix the coolant leak, changed the main seal, replaced the rear coolant manifold gaskets at the same time. I also replaced the clutch. Everything fit and installed easily although I did not have the alignment tool for the clutch. All I did was have the pressure plate bolts hand tightened and aligned the clutch with a socket and extension and then pop off the pressure plate pretension "thing". Now everything is back together and finished but the clutch won't disengage! How does that tool work and is that the problem!?
Did you put a new pressure plate in? Your car has a self adjusting clutch.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

Yes! I had a new pressure plate, throw out bearing and pressure plate with the self adjusting clutch. So I am wondering if during the installation it is possible to install the clutch in a way that it will not disengage if I didn't have that special clutch tool and alignment tool
Old 03-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

How is the self adjusting clutch different from the 2 other BMW pressure plates I installed on my 2 e30's?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
doogee
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser16 View Post
How is the self adjusting clutch different from the 2 other BMW pressure plates I installed on my 2 e30's?
I hope you didn't install the clutch backwards.

With a self adjusting clutch, can't just install the pressure plate and call it a day.

You must remove the retaining clip from the pressure plate AFTER the pressure plate is installed and torqued.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11334/bmw-se...ow-to-replace/

Last edited by doogee; 03-30-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
kaiser16
1st Gear Newbie

Okay, that's definitely the problem. Thanks for the education! Clutch was installed in the correct orientation but I didn't not follow the specific installation process for the self adjusting clutch. Since the clutch is not correctly set, isn't there a tool that can reset an already installed clutch? Are there any issues with that?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: