Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

E36 tire fit

So I need to fit summers to my car for a safety, and I am a little stumped. It's funny, as I'm very good at finding efficient solutions for people.

On to the issue: e36 M3 that I just picked up. It has 17x8" wheels at 38P offset. Currently running 225/45s all around. This tire choice is only for street use. I will be installing coilovers but don't plan on running the car too low. The 225s seem pretty close to touching now.

I planned on running 225/45s all around or staggered 225/45 front and 245/40 rear, but then I thought maybe 245/40R17 all around.

So that's the question - will 245/40R17s fit in the front with the combo I have? Under no circumstances will I tolerate a tire touching the body.

Thanks
markertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Go with the 245s, you'll need spacers for the front once you install coilovers. You'll have plenty of room with no rubbing.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Go with the 245s, you'll need spacers for the front once you install coilovers. You'll have plenty of room with no rubbing.
Is this becaus of the tire to spring perch clearance? Or is there some other reason for the spacers? I don't plan on running too much camber.

Thanks, I will just get the 245s, and they will be a fine fit on the 8" wheels.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Yup they will work fine on 8" wheels. My best handling setup on my old e36 were my square 245 star specs, perfection IMO.

Correct tire will hit the perches with most coilovers setups, even with stock camber. Most coils tend to have less clearance than stock struts, unless you run a much shorter spring.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
2bmwguy
4 door killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Yup they will work fine on 8" wheels. My best handling setup on my old e36 were my square 245 star specs, perfection IMO.

Correct tire will hit the perches with most coilovers setups, even with stock camber. Most coils tend to have less clearance than stock struts, unless you run a much shorter spring.
Merry Xmas t.dot . And thanks for all the infractions this year hope to get some more in the new year.your the man.

Last edited by 2bmwguy; 12-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.
2bmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

So, I wanted to update. I went with 4 x 245/40R17 Continental Sport Contact DW tires on the 17x8s all around.

The front is very close to the stock strut tube, but it does clear.
The front right fender liner must not be mounted properly, as the tire does touch occasionally.
On big undulations, both rear tires touch the fender lips. I have not jacked the car up to see where exactly, but I will, once it's nicer out.

Thanks for input.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I have a feeling your rear camber is not in spec. There's no way a 245/40 17x8 +38 should rub, even on a dramatically lowered car. That's almost identical to stock staggered E36 M3 fitment.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
I have a feeling your rear camber is not in spec. There's no way a 245/40 17x8 +38 should rub, even on a dramatically lowered car. That's almost identical to stock staggered E36 M3 fitment.
Well, that is what I thought, going in. I was a bit concerned with the front tire fitment to the inside - clearance to the strut tube.

It was close before, but I figured the OE staggered setup used the same tire, but with a WIDER wheel, 17x8.5s. I think that the 17x8.5 has an offset of 41P, so it would move the tire in 3mm from my setup. Whoopee.

It definitely has some camber out back. I will pull out my camber gauge and check it later this week. I had figured I was going to put full negative camber in it, anyways. (I haven't changed the rear arms yet)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: