Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2003, 09:09 PM   #31
dobrock
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
dobrock: unfortunately in north america we dont even have 6 throttle bodies like the m3 would overseas so we couldn't ever use a nice airbox like that
do you know how much european m3 are at your side of the sea?

dob
dobrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #32
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Well, I also have a 328 and have been thinking a lot about mods....

I'm at the point where all my mods I have, and will get, will all bolt on to any M50/2 engine. That way I can still swap in a US M3 engine and have all my mods carry over to the new engine (minus software). I have also considered just going an ODB-1 conversion, as previously started, it is illegal, but as long as you pass emissions no one is going to care/know until you try to sell the car.

Keeping in mind hp numbers alone don't make your car faster. Reducing weight in key areas can make a huge difference (wheels, flywheel) in more then just acceleration.

My list of mods that I'd do to a naturally aspirated 328 (in no particular order)
-fan delete mod
-software
-higher geared (numericaly) differential with limited slip
-a decent cat-back exhaust
-intake
-M50 intake manifold
-cams
-pulleys
-lightweight flywheel
-lightweight wheels/tires

There are other mods also but they usually require some significant investment (internal engine mods)

Also, don't forget about safety either, once your car goes faster you'll want to stop can handle better. Don't neglect brakes and suspension, invest in stages.

Also, installing a new M3 engine (S54) or new M5 engine is not worth the cost. It'd probably be cheaper to get like 6 turbos going on your current engine then getting an S54 in and working.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-05-2003 at 10:14 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:49 AM   #33
Alan
1st Gear Newbie

Thinair: what are the pulleys and flywheel and what do they do?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 AM   #34
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
go for the chip!

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:02 AM   #35
Alan
1st Gear Newbie

///milk which one?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:54 AM   #36
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
///milk which one?
Yopu can only get one for your car, its called the Shark Injector by Jim Conforti, and it doesnt do much. 10 hp and 10 tq if your lucky. Ask MP328, he has one and says it doesnt do anything and its $350 US!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 AM   #37
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
yup the shark injector is wasted money.

the only good thing might be if u get a higher diferential it takes of the top speed governer and raises the rev limiter so maybe a bit speed on the top.

again just buy a s/c
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:59 AM   #38
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Thinair: what are the pulleys and flywheel and what do they do?
Well, the general idea behind pullies is to make the power steering pump, alternator, and water pump spin slower, freeing up some horsepower. This is done by either replacing the crank pulley with a smaller one, or replacing all the accessory pullies with larger ones. Also the lightening of the pullies helps the engine spool/rev a little quicker too.

A lightweight flywheel doesn't actually give you any extra horsepower, but gives you a lot quicker engine response. The engine spools/revs a lot quicker, and the acceleration is pretty noticable within the first two gears. The lighter flywheel also assists in rev-matched downshifts because you can get the engine to the drivetrain/gear speed alot quicker before releasing the clutch.

The only real problem is that both the stock flywheel and the stock crank pullies have vibration dampers, so one of them should remain attached to the crank. If you want to run pullies and a lightened flywheel, get the pullies that replace the accessory pullies only.

Also, I plan on getting software (Shark Injector) for the sheer fact that it removes the speed governer (and raises the redline to 7000rpm), not that I ever planm on going that fast.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-06-2003 at 07:01 AM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:10 PM   #39
Alan
1st Gear Newbie

thanx alot thinair I am learning a lot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: