Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Bangle View Post
BMW claims that what they produce is the 'ultimate driving machine'.The Elise was brought into the argument as a point of reference of what an ultimate driving machine (in terms of involvement is).
I did not drive the 2002 but I doubt the driving experience is as un involving as the 135i (which given the lack of proper cars gets most automotive writers to go gaga). Same goes for the E30 M3 and the new one, if we take both cars in basic trim there is a 400kg weight difference and a big difference in feel.
The mission has changed, as the accountant/marketer has taken over from the ethos of the driver/engineer. Why would the introduce harmful maintenance schedules, uses cheaper materials, stop putting lsd on ‘driver’s car’, etc.
This is not a reflection solely on BMW, not was this anything but an inevitability.
This is all getting a bit of topic. I am sure the next M5 will be welcomed with open arms by it's target market. I personally liked BMW sticking with the high revving NA engines but I am sure that building a turbo engine is allot cheaper and enables better gas milage.
What you're not understanding is that everything is relative. In 1987, the M3 was a quiet, comfortable, full loaded luxury sports sedan, just like a new one is today. Compared to the 1602 it was a bloated and overpowered missile that is infinitely more capable than the old model in every way....just like an E92 M3 versus an E30 M3.

Nothing has changed.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #32
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

We disagree on some things, which is fine.

Last edited by Chris_Bangle; 07-11-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: