Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Gamite

Rumor: Next M5 going Turbo

4.4L TT from X6 will be stroked to 4.8L (600hp?)

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/07/n...twin-turbo-v8/

Quote:
BMW may begin straying from its long held tradition of equipping its M models with rev-happy, naturally aspirated engines. According to a source speaking with Automotive News, the twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 currently equipped on the new X6, could be stroked out to 4.8-liters and fitted on future Ms, including the new M5, due out in 2011. The twin-turbo'd 3.0-liter inline six found in the 335i, 535i and entry-level X6 proved that BMW has the chops to create highly efficient and eminently entertaining blown mills, and there's no doubt that significant tweaks to the turbocharged V8 could boost power levels over the stock mill's claimed 407 hp, to take take serious aim at Audi's 572 hp RS6.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I would LOVE to see what the aftermarket would do with it.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Gamite

Probably nothing much. M department has the tendancy to max out the engine within reasonable limits. The 335 doesn't count because they wanted to keep the power under the 333hp E46 M3. But with the M5 the sky will be the limit.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost

It was inevitable.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

A sad day for BMW Motorsports. Anyone that frequents the track will agree that N/A is always best.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Gamite

I'm sure BMW will "try" to keep the responsiveness of the NA engine. But seeing that M5's aren't as frequent to the track as the M3, I don't see this as much of a bad thing.

BMW is obviously losing the HP war to the other european giants so they have to do something about it.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

Randy: A sad day for BMW Motorsport was the year the stopped making the E30 M3 The rest is just an inevitable progression from ultimate driving machine to ultimate posing machine. Who cares if a car has 1000bhp if it weight 2 tons and is as thrilling to drive as an AMG Benz.
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
BMW is obviously losing the HP war to the other european giants so they have to do something about it.
Yeah, put their ///M cars on a serious diet, work on keeping power:weight high. I see what you're saying about the largest ///M of them all... you have a point, but there are other ways to go about making a fast car. Eventually one manufacturer will have to start giving in and using inovative design (flux capacitor?) and exotic materials to offset the rising HP numbers. At this rate, the 2014 M5 will have a quad-turbo 16cyl 1001bhp & (read) ethenol will be $4.52/L

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
why do they need a new M5 in 2011??? This seems like an awfully short time that the current generation is out... I've just started to get used to the e60 design. Whenever I see it on the street it's still very much futuristic.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
Yeah, put their ///M cars on a serious diet, work on keeping power:weight high. I see what you're saying about the largest ///M of them all... you have a point, but there are other ways to go about making a fast car. Eventually one manufacturer will have to start giving in and using inovative design (flux capacitor?) and exotic materials to offset the rising HP numbers. At this rate, the 2014 M5 will have a quad-turbo 16cyl 1001bhp & (read) ethenol will be $4.52/L
Yea, the problem with the M5 is that most of the buyers are balding middle to late aged men. Who don't care much about tracking their cars, but who do care a lot about luxury. So dieting the M5 wouldn't make much business sense.

M3 is another story of course, which is probably why the CSL line was made. I think the E92 CSL will be hugely successful.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Bangle View Post
Randy: A sad day for BMW Motorsport was the year the stopped making the E30 M3 The rest is just an inevitable progression from ultimate driving machine to ultimate posing machine. Who cares if a car has 1000bhp if it weight 2 tons and is as thrilling to drive as an AMG Benz.
Remember that BMW is a car company first, they have to appeal to the consumer. Their first objective is to sell.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post

M3 is another story of course, which is probably why the CSL line was made. I think the E92 CSL will be hugely successful.

I think BMW stated that there will be no E92 CSL.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Gamite

Really? I was sure I read that they would be producing a CSL M6 and M3. (I guess M6 is out of the question)

Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Gamite

BTW, look what I just found.

E92 CSL Spyshots?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

There will be an M3 CSL but it will not make it to North America, given the weak dollar etc. Source: Roundel
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: