Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Cool E36 subwoofer setup

Hey guys,

I have a four door E36 with no fold down seats and the skibag passthrough behind the armrest in the rear.
I was just wondering if anyone has pics of a subwoofer setup behind the armrest, pretty much eliminating the skibag especially since my ass doesn't ski.

If you know how the setup is done and you can educate me on it, that would be helpful as well.

Would be great if someone has this setup locally

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Build a box to match the slope behind the rear seat............... stick a 12" in it ......... sealed box.............. carpet or rocker guard the box............ get an amp that has high level inputs ............. ground, power, speaker wire.......... tap in off the rear speakers............. DONE.

Sorry, no pictures
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Damn!!! You're making it sound easier that it probably is lol.. I'll have to look into that though. You're saying the power from the rear speakers should be suffice? Why do people normally hookup their power source right from the battery, any benefits?

Sorry if i sound like a noob. I'm a bit new to audio setups.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

No........ no.

Two things. The sub needs to be fed the signal (music). That comes from the head unit through the speaker wires ............ which you tap into to feed an amplifier to amplify the signal. The existing system doesn't have enough juice to power a sub....... thus why you add an amp.

The OEM speaker lines can be tapped into to feed high level inputs to an amp (signal/music to the amp). Sorrry if that sounds confusing, but some amps have both low level inputs (RCA's) and high level inputs (speaker wire). RCA's run directly from the deck. If you don't want to run RCA's through your car, you can use the existing speaker wires. But the amp must have high level inputs.

The amp also need to have power run to it......... just like in a home system where you plug it into the wall.

How that clarifies this a bit !!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

as a reference high level inputs are also called speaker level input
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

Here's a pic of the setup in my car. The sub is facing back because I have folding seats with no ski hole, along with the rear speakers being totally taken out. Same thing should work nice in your car with the sub facing forward. And it's a 15 inch.

Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
...... get an amp that has high level inputs
Or you can use a regular amp but you need to buy a line output converter (~$25) to drop the signal the same level that the deck would output to an amp for a sub.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
No........ no.

Two things. The sub needs to be fed the signal (music). That comes from the head unit through the speaker wires ............ which you tap into to feed an amplifier to amplify the signal. The existing system doesn't have enough juice to power a sub....... thus why you add an amp.

The OEM speaker lines can be tapped into to feed high level inputs to an amp (signal/music to the amp). Sorrry if that sounds confusing, but some amps have both low level inputs (RCA's) and high level inputs (speaker wire). RCA's run directly from the deck. If you don't want to run RCA's through your car, you can use the existing speaker wires. But the amp must have high level inputs.

The amp also need to have power run to it......... just like in a home system where you plug it into the wall.

How that clarifies this a bit !!
That does help to clarify it... I just wanted to make sure i wasn't entirely lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Here's a pic of the setup in my car. The sub is facing back because I have folding seats with no ski hole, along with the rear speakers being totally taken out. Same thing should work nice in your car with the sub facing forward. And it's a 15 inch.

That's a nice sub... I had two 15's before, got rid of them, then I had 2 12's now I'm just going to go with one 12. I think it's decent enough without taking up trunk space.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 View Post
Or you can use a regular amp but you need to buy a line output converter (~$25) to drop the signal the same level that the deck would output to an amp for a sub.
I'm assuming I can just grab that at any electronics store, or at least any future shop or best buy right?

Quote:
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunzieB View Post
I'm assuming I can just grab that at any electronics store, or at least any future shop or best buy right?
I don't know specifically if futureshop sells that item on their shelves, but i assume that there are people that get sub boxes installed there that don't get there stock deck upgraded. So you can talk to one of their techs to find out what they do. If you already have an amp (that doesn't have high level inputs like tominizer mentioned) then you need the LOC, if you still need to buy an amp, it would be easier for you to get an amp that has highlevel inputs.

....or you can upgrade from your stock deck

best thing to do is call up a local car audio installer and tell them what you have and what you want. Then ask them what you need and where you can get it.

Cheers.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
$500bimmer
6th Gear Member

i have one.....pm me for more info

$500bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Agreed............ also, if you have some wood skillz, you can always design the box and have it cut up at Home Depot............ on 3/4 MDF........ take it home......... assemble it, sand it nice-nice........... Canadian Tire for rocker guard to paint it.

Some more thoughts........ for the DIY-er

Or if you have some real jig-saw talent, you can actually cut the whole thing using a jig saw. Trick for getting straight lines is using a guide clamped down to the sheet of wood to guide the jig-saw along. When it comes time to cut the hole for the sub, draw it out on cardboard and cut with a knife to test fit. You want a nice snug fit. Then transfer your cardboard template to the wood................ drill a 3/4" hole and jig-saw out the template hole for the sub.

Min. 1.5" drywall screws and lotsa glue. The glue is actually the most important bonding agent in the long run. Pre-drill all your holes......lotsa screws ....... also counter sink them into the wood using a large diameter bit.

For the speaker wire, it comes with two strands in each cable....... if that makes sense....... a left and a right. I like to cut and pull those two strands apart and then drill two holes side by side into the box so the wire fit is nice and tight at the box wall.

Oh, and always think safety first. Especially safety glasses. Only takes a second to loose an eye. And measure twice, cut only once.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
kikibike
1st Gear Newbie

bazooka tube, done
kikibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #14
1992e36is
1st Gear Newbie

lol bazooka tube... please dont put that in
1992e36is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #15