Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
RobY330i
2nd Gear Member
 
RobY330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Britannia Beach, Ottawa
Posts: 191
Any advice for a newbie changing the fuel line?

Got an 87 325e and the fuel line near the fuel filter is leaking bad.

I guess I need to replace the lines around it. Any advice such as what size fuel line do I need? etc.

Thanks in advance.
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member
 
ecuconnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,018
I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!

Last edited by ecuconnection; 07-03-2008 at 11:12 PM.
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
RobY330i
2nd Gear Member
 
RobY330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Britannia Beach, Ottawa
Posts: 191
Thanks!
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Philboski
3rd Gear Member
 
Philboski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Barrhaven
Posts: 437
Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR
 
DANIMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 938
From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, the fuel pump in the E30 uses a gravity fed system. Just be sure not to park on a slope with the rear of the car facing upwards. And if you do don't smoke.
__________________
DANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
carjoe
6th Gear Member
 
carjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsBmr View Post
I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!
Would you need to flare the line before?
__________________

93 325is - sold!


2000 540ia- sold!


carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member
 
ecuconnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,018
when this happend to me I broke a hose clamp and I drove too CT with the line purely hand fited with no clamp and it didnt even drip or leak I was amazed... I knew at that point a rubber hose could easly hold 50 psi and the clamp was just insurance...goodluck!
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member
 
ecuconnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Would you need to flare the line before?

Mine are not flared, but it would not hurt that's for sure... if you have any doubts use 2 clamps for each end
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsBmr View Post
OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!
Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around

Quote:
Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.
Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

The hose clamps don't have to be anything special though, any will work.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

The hose clamps don't have to be anything special though, any will work.
Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.
Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.
I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.
Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member
 
ecuconnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around



Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

The hose clamps don't have to be anything special though, any will work.
oh yes I forgot that gas will burn on top of water oops hehe
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.
JFYI my crappy tire fuel hoses say 12 bar.
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.