Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
maroli
6th Gear Member

Insurance Question, help a brotha out...

hi.

So if any of you have been following my car woes, we were rear-ended and the guy drove off. We weren't able to get the plates of the guy or anything, but we were def not at fault. If we claim the damage, do our premiums go up? We JUST got the insurance too.
maroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long

depends on the insurance company .. I know statefarms wouldn't raise your insurance for that.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
maroli
6th Gear Member

we are with belair. what do I call and tell them? all I know is a green cherokee rear ended me. Its obvious I didn't back into anything cause the damage is up higher than the bumper-it had to be an SUV that hit me
Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
Firstly, get a QUOTE on the repair bill. If it's below your deductible, or within' a reasonable price range just beyond your deductible you have two options.

1. Just get it repaired and don't even bother notifying your insurance company.
2. File a police report and notify your insurance company.

They will not likely increase your premium, but they may classify the accident as partially at-fault. That could potentially increase your premiums down the road, but would not increase it right away. At least it shouldn't.

I'm currently with Belair as well. I had a collision (not at fault) that ended up being dropped and converted into Vandilism. The guy who hit me didn't want to make the repairs (even though he offered ahead of time) once I got a quote so he decided to get some people to just smash my car. They ended up merging the collision claim (so nothing is on his record now, that PoS!) into a vandilism claim since the car was written off. Needless to say, I was not very pleased.
BenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
maroli
6th Gear Member

I was quoted for 1000 bucks, nothing major, but if I can get this done by insurance without a resulting increase in premiums that would exceed 1000 dollars eventually, than I'd like to do so.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Boots R
Boots, not boost

What is your deductable? if it's $1000.00 there's no point in telling your insurance company.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

If no one is charged you're premiums will def go up, you will have an at-fault or partial-fault claim.

Something similar happened to me except I got the license # and he took off, reported it to the police and the person tried denying... it was a hassle dealing with the insurance and they did their own investigation and eventually found me not at fault, but it was a battle
Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

I would call Belair direct, from a different (public) phone, and explain the situation. Don't give them your name or details. Just say, you are a belair customer, and wanted to know what would happen in this situation (premium increase etc).

I don't remember exactly what you posted before, but it sounded like you didn't really take it seriously when the accident happened. There was no police report filed right???

Since it is a hit and run, and you have no idea who it is, it is probably hard to go through the insurance. Looking at the pictures, there is quite a bit of rust on the car (not mint). I would say, get the car fixed else where and cheaply as possible.

You should be able to fix the dent, align the bumper, and get both rusty rear fenders fixed for $1000.00. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my winter beater. A guy hit me and turned right. I however, wiped around and chased him. I got the license plate number. I called the cops, and they found him. He was charged with Hit and Run, No Insurance, Suspended Drivers License. Over $5000 worth of charges were laid; all for $500 worth of damage caused to my car.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
I would call Belair direct, from a different (public) phone, and explain the situation. Don't give them your name or details. Just say, you are a belair customer, and wanted to know what would happen in this situation (premium increase etc).

I don't remember exactly what you posted before, but it sounded like you didn't really take it seriously when the accident happened. There was no police report filed right???

Since it is a hit and run, and you have no idea who it is, it is probably hard to go through the insurance. Looking at the pictures, there is quite a bit of rust on the car (not mint). I would say, get the car fixed else where and cheaply as possible.

You should be able to fix the dent, align the bumper, and get both rusty rear fenders fixed for $1000.00. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my winter beater. A guy hit me and turned right. I however, wiped around and chased him. I got the license plate number. I called the cops, and they found him. He was charged with Hit and Run, No Insurance, Suspended Drivers License. Over $5000 worth of charges were laid; all for $500 worth of damage caused to my car.
+99999999999999999

That's what that SoB gets! Damn HnR people!
BenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
maroli
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post

thanks for your sympathies man! I console myself with the fact that I have a bimmer, albeit a rusted one, whereas he has an american car....
looking at the dent, I see that the crease where the metal meets the bootlid has been pushed up...someone told me that if a crease is affected then it can't be fixed unless the whole part is taken out and rewelded. true?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

I was just trying to point out that your car is not a brand new e90, so you don't have to take it to the best body shop in town. A okay one will do for now.

I would touch up edge of the trunk (if it is scratched) to prevent rust. It looks like it came in contact with the metal strip below it.

Is your trunk damaged? Is that a paint scuff or is it a dent/crease on the trunk?
A body shop should be able to pull and straighten that lower piece. If they drop the bumper, it should be much easier to straighten it up. They will body filler it, but it’s just a cosmetic piece. It should look perfect once done. No need to cut and weld.

For now, just touch up the exposed metal to prevent further rust until you decide what to do.

I know a few shops that would fix the mental strip, and straighten the bumper for $300 or so.

It sucks what happened with you. Call it a bad day, get it fixed and move on. I hope you can find a cheaper place to get it fixed.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
maroli
6th Gear Member

thanks brotha
Old 06-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
Qube
5th Gear Member

"If no one is charged you're premiums will def go up, you will have an at-fault or partial-fault claim."

Not always true. My HnR was counted as a not at fault. Was hit in the rear.

Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #14
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

My car was hit while in a parking lot. So no way it was my fault. My premium did not go up. See if you're not even in the car when it gets hit, there's no way they can find you at fault. So.... you could report it that way...

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

belaire blows
dont even deal with them
just get your car fixed yourself.

thats the price you pay for having cheap insurance.
belaire couldn't fight for your life...they say im at fault 100% because i did a completely LEGAL left turn onto a road (not at a traffic light intersection) from a private driveway.
as i make a left turn, this dumbass mother ****er zooms right past me DRIVING in the wrong lane, and turns into my car and mashed up the front. he was cutting around cars that had stopped for me so he can make the left turn lane at the lights...

...and im at fault. belaire direct for the win -_-
very nice rates though...but cant fight for you at all....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: