Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
any decent cable/eletronic shops?

I forgot my cam recorder cable in my garage back home. So it was in my tool box and the moise had a bite on the cable. Now I need to get a new cable to charge it. So I went to future shop and they want 80 bucks to 110. Are they crazy? I paid like 5 bills for the cam. Is there a place where I can purchase it for a reasonable price? How about tigerdirect or audio 2000 ?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

What kind of camera?
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Fel
Not Banned

Try looking on www.monoprice.com

They are a cable wholesaler, no-name stuff, but it all works well. I don't know what you're after specifically, but they have tons of stuff... worth a look.

If anyone needs a cheap HDMI cable, that's the place to go. I paid $7 shipped for my 6-footer
Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

is there a difference in the hdmi cables from Futureshop(ie, monster, rockerfish)
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
LikesToDrive
2nd Gear Member

Name brand cables are a total rip off i.e. monster etc. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Fel
Not Banned

Well, to be fair, that's not entirely true....

I'll explain it this way... With something like component cables, there is a quality difference between brands. Since the signal is analogue, there is the possibility of it degrading along the way. If the cable isn't shielded, electrical interference can distort the signal, and it won't be "perfect" when it comes out the other end into your TV. Most of the time, you won't even notice this degradation, but in some cases, specifically with long cables (where it has longer time in transit to break down), you might notice a loss in quality. Getting properly shielded cables should take care of this, whether they are mid-range or top-of-the-line brands.

With HDMI, the story is different. The signal sent is digital, it's all 1s and 0s. So if something goes wrong along the way, it jsut won't work at all. There's no break down of the end result.... it'll either work, or it won't. Therefore, there is absolutely no point in shelling out over $100 at Best Buy (those ****ers) for an HDMI cable when the job can be done just as well by a $6 one from the website above. It's the biggest scam going... people don't know any better so when they've just bought a high end tv and surround sound system, of course they're gonna feel pressured into getting the "good" HDMI cable. It's nonsense.

As a footnote, one factor that does matter with HDMI is length. If you get something too long, it may not work as reliably as a shorter cable.

/thread hijack. Sorry Ivan
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
LikesToDrive
2nd Gear Member

Good points, I should have specified HDMI cables. Those $100 ones (monster etc) are a total rip of.

Obviously longer cables require better quality though (e.g. I have a good quality co-ax cable as the socket is miles away from my receiver), you are right. But the average system rarely needs anything over 6 ft, and usually 3ft will do.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Thank you guys.

sam, it's canon hr10. nothing crazy just to film some fishing habbits when i am getting the fish tired.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: