Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,368
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Angry Did my dad get bs-ed by a cop?



He came home last night with 2 tickets.

1) Failure to stop at a stopsign
2) Expired insurance slip.

I know 2 is a no-issue. Now on to the story.

He was coming down Wilmington Ave from Finch toward Sheppard. On Wilmington, there is just one stop sign, at the first full intersection just south of Finch. A cop stops him, close to Sheppard ave, a distance of 1.4km from the street with the stop sign to where he got stopped. Cop says he was doing 80 in a 40 and didn't stop at a stop sign. My dad's like what are you talking about I wasn't doing 80 and he just forgets about the speeding (probably didn't have a reading) and proceeds to give him the 2 tickets above.

Question is, how far from the "ran intersection" can a cop stop you? Also, he said he didn't stop at Purdon ave. when it is in fact Purdon dr. Is this enough to drop it?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Cop can follow you as long as he wants, there is nothing unusual about this it happens all the time
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,368
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Umm, alright, but it's not like the cop was behind him right away, he took time to catch up, and most likely lost sight of him...I thought they couldn't stop you after they lost sight.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Umm, alright, but it's not like the cop was behind him right away, he took time to catch up, and most likely lost sight of him...I thought they couldn't stop you after they lost sight.
Not sure how that matters... When cops standing on the shoulder with the radar nab you, they can't exactly stop you on the spot, right?
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,539
that distance agrument won't hold up in court.

I suggest you get someone to fight it for you.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,368
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
What about the fact the street doesn't exist?

All I gotta do is find out what the pros say. I'm going to court one day this summer and just gonna sit there all day watching how people win. Would they let me in with a laptop? (So I can record audio)
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
that distance agrument won't hold up in court.

I suggest you get someone to fight it for you.
+1.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post

Question is, how far from the "ran intersection" can a cop stop you? Also, he said he didn't stop at Purdon ave. when it is in fact Purdon dr. Is this enough to drop it?
Is it actually written that way on the ticket? Even if it is, they don't throw out tickets on minor mistakes like that anymore
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane
 
slemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Missed in 'sauga
Posts: 3,002
Don't think you'll get off on a Freudian slip up. Whether it's an ave/dr/rd, etc. as long as the main street was mentioned that would be good enough.
__________________

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!
 
SeRb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Umm, alright, but it's not like the cop was behind him right away, he took time to catch up, and most likely lost sight of him...I thought they couldn't stop you after they lost sight.
when he caught up to your dad he prob ran the plates, checked his record etc which can take a little bit of time...

he mightve also been following your dad to see if he was going to do anything else that he could write him up for

fight all tickets regardless, good luck
SeRb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
BennyL
7th Gear Member
 
BennyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,652
ya, there's nothing wrong with what the cop did. in fact, purdon is a favourite location for cops in that area. i see them nabbing people for failure to stop at a stop sign ALL the time. and i mean all the time. i have friends who got busted there even at 1:00 or 2:00 AM.

the cop is allowed to follow you for as long as he wants and write you up for anything you did in that time. in fact, they can even give you multiple speeding tickets at once, if you speed in separate limit zones. i have a friend who's mom got 2 speeding tickets. one was for 80 in a 60 and one was for 75 in a 50, because the cop followed her through a 50 zone that became a 60 zone.

as for your argument about losing sight... not gonna hold. unless you dad can PROVE the cop lost sight of him. which he can't.

best and only option... go in to fight it. plead not guilty and hope for a lower charge. or get a paralegal to do it for you. but its basically a waste of money.
__________________

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Castel
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 519
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Don't think you'll get off on a Freudian slip up. Whether it's an ave/dr/rd, etc. as long as the main street was mentioned that would be good enough.
Don't use phrases which you don't understand.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,368
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Alright, got it. It's not that the cop followed my dad the whole way...or maybe he did, but as he said the cop just showed up a km down the road...

My dad probably did make the mistake, due to a bus, BUT, basically based on what you guys have said, any cop can show up on my ass and claim I didn't stop at a stop sign. Neither of us can prove otherwise so the cop is believed? Don't they have video footage you can request?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
My dad probably did make the mistake, due to a bus, BUT, basically based on what you guys have said, any cop can show up on my ass and claim I didn't stop at a stop sign. Neither of us can prove otherwise so the cop is believed? Don't they have video footage you can request?
No video footage.

They can pull you over and ticket you for anything, even if you didn't do it. They have been given that power, because they have been TRAINED to use that power to their discretion.

If you go into court, and say one thing, and the cop says another... the cop will win because he has been "trained" to be "smarter" than you.





Unless you're Mystikal, then you can get off unwarranted tickets with your superb legal skillz.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool
 
Dr. Flyview's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,368
Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
What about all those threads of running away from the cops, and if they lose sight and never got your plates, they got nothing!?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015