Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #136
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_Fury View Post
Well, having just picked this 325 up last week, I'm getting about 13L/100km on 92octane in the city.
-TMS chip
-Schrick performance intake cam
-Supersprint tubular header, and full cat-less exhaust
-K&N air intake
-Electric fan conversion (& upgraded water pump)

It's been idling weird, weirder than the cam should cause, as well as throwing a check engine light. Next couple weeks I'm going to replace all 6 coils & plugs, clean the idle air control valve, and do a full synthetic drive line fluid replace... maybe check on the O2 sensors too, and see how mileage is from there. Would like to see it below 10L/100km.

Coolant needs replace before winter as well, it's getting pretty weak. Bah, money pit xD

may as well do the fuel filter as well. Coils+ o2 sensors are not cheap. but 13/100km is pretty back in a 2.5..

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #137
RG_Fury
1st Gear Newbie

Yea, 13L/100km isn't bad, but I'm sure it can do better. Though My occasional heavy foot probably doesnt help things xD I just checked the price of coils today... errrgh..
I DID pick up a fuel filter though today =) as well as 6 new NGK G-Power plugs, just waiting for it all to cool down before throwing them in. Anyone know of an easy way to test the coils? Is letting it run and unplugging each coil 1 by 1 and seeing if any of them DONT effect the idle safe with these cars? I am admittedly a new BMW owner, but working in a Toyota dealership, popping the wires off each individual cylinder while idling was the easiest way to find a find a dead coil/plug...

I picked up some rubbing alcohol and am going to clean the idle air control valve, as well as do the plugs and fuel filter before I look at the coils any further. Maybe even buy an OBD-1 code reader first too to see what exactly is throwing the 'check engine' light, who knows, maybe its an O2 sensor :/
Drivetrain: -Schrick Performance Intake Cam -M3 Engine Mounts -K&N Air Intake -Supersprint Exhaust Header -Cat Delete -Metal Water Pump -Fan Delete -SPAL High Flow Electric Fan -75C Thermostat -TMS Performance Chip -Weighted Selector Rod (easier Shifting) -M3 Trans Mounts

Suspension: -Bilstein Sport Struts -H & R Lowering Springs -Offset Solid M3 Control Arm Bushings -M3 Rear Trailing Arm Bushings w/ Poly Shims
RG_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #138
sproule905
6th Gear Member

switch coil bank 2 with 4, 1 with 3 and so on and see if the fault code persists. that's the easiest way to diasnose the fault.

Also, ECS tuning may have cheaper coils online. but heard of their UPS duty making up for the savings..

Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #139
RG_Fury
1st Gear Newbie

thanks Spoule905, I'll give that a shot. The check engine light seems not to come on as frequently ever since I switched from 91 to 92 octane, still on most of the time though, I'll swap the coils around anyway and try it out.
Drivetrain: -Schrick Performance Intake Cam -M3 Engine Mounts -K&N Air Intake -Supersprint Exhaust Header -Cat Delete -Metal Water Pump -Fan Delete -SPAL High Flow Electric Fan -75C Thermostat -TMS Performance Chip -Weighted Selector Rod (easier Shifting) -M3 Trans Mounts

Suspension: -Bilstein Sport Struts -H & R Lowering Springs -Offset Solid M3 Control Arm Bushings -M3 Rear Trailing Arm Bushings w/ Poly Shims
Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #140
yellowfever3
2nd Gear Member

592 km was the highest i got on a full tank. highway driving and city driving. 98 m3. these cars are really efficient if you keep them burning clean, and just drive it like a normal car. of course you've gotta give it some rpms once in a while. But even after a track day a shannonville, i still squeezed 513 km to the full thank which i believe is pretty crazy. commuting from markham to scarborough everyday. The fuel economy gauge on the cluster really helps
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #141
RG_Fury
1st Gear Newbie

Its impossible to drive like a 'normal' car with my exhaust note though =(
I reset my consumption last week when I filled up and have been getting 11.8L/100km in the city, (consum2 still reading 13.9) even with a few sprints at the local track... not a whole lot of idling was done though, been getting in the habit of turning the car off if I'm going to be sitting for more than 1~2 minutes..

Picked up some Lucas injector cleaner, I'm going to mix in when I fill up with gas tomorrow. My attention has turned away from worrying about the intermittent check engine light, and is now into the nasty power steering leak I seem to have developed. Guess the ol' power steering hoses didn't like me revving the p/s pump at 7000rpm all day? Gah, gonna spray it all down tomorrow underneath and hopefully I can pinpoint the leak. Feeding it Lucas P/S fix to slow it down until then, the existing fluid looked pretty nasty in there too, will probably flush it out once I got this leak nailed down.
*sigh* now to find a p/s leak thread...

Last edited by RG_Fury; 10-10-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #142
sproule905
6th Gear Member

^^ better off jjust replacing the PS lineds and what not. you'll thank me later than the Lucas or any other 'fix' kits..

Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #143
RG_Fury
1st Gear Newbie

Without going too far off topic here:
Yea, I did some looking around and it looks like the two low psi hoses going into the reservoir are the most likely culprits... I'm definitely not relying on the Lucas or any 'fix kit' I just have it in to slow things down until I can get some parts in to do a proper repair. Think I'll switch back to adding regular ATF though, that thick Lucas stuff is making my steering a bit stiff :/

Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #144
jeffrie
Addict

lol I do 4-6l per KPH with my supercharged 4 pot on the hyway at about 120 KPH, normal tank is 650-700 kilomiters pounding the piss out of it,... not sure the other way but not a drastic difference I am sure.
I did loose fuel milage going from a 3:21 diff ratio to a 3:91, only ended yp with about 600-610 kilometers per tank with the 3:91 change over, SC changed that back to stock about 700- 790 KPH per tank even on hard driving thanks to the E30 gear box.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 10-12-2011 at 02:54 AM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #145
jeffrie
Addict

Sure I could get the 800K mark er 60l tank of gasoline but still yet just can't... Go pedal just too easy to hit.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #146
sproule905
6th Gear Member

^^ you have an E36 318i? I had years ago an 84 318i and I swear that engine was too small for the body. BUt I see yours is SC.. hmm

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #147
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

lets all get civics. lol..

man im seeing all these commercials for new cars.... such as ford fiesta, honda civic, hyundai etc..

they all say their compact cars now days can get 4.9L/100km?? is this REEEAAALLY true?

and ford has this flap that opens and closes on their grill to reduce drag...lol i can see that going really wrong in winter weather.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #148
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
they all say their compact cars now days can get 4.9L/100km?? is this REEEAAALLY true?
Probably. My girlfriend's 2001 Civic gets 7.5L/100km if I ream it out for the whole tank. It could easily do better.

I just had my best tank yet, 8.1L/100km which is 29.03 MPG. I did 645km on 52.3L of gas (89 octane). It was almost all highway cruising at 120kph with cruise control on. The EPA rating on my car is 20 MPG combined, (26 MPG highway), so I think that my 29 MPG is pretty good

I'm running NGK Iridium plugs that the P/O installed, so I'm not sure of their age. I've had the car for 14 months now. Tires were at 31 PSI front, 34 PSI rear. Air filter was cleaned last month (K&N).
tehskeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #149
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
..lol i can see that going really wrong in winter weather.
why?

and yes there has been another small leap in mpg improvements with recent cars.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #150
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

its a cool idea. but another thing to go wrong in the winter , when slush / snow gets in there and when u drive, it will freeze up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it3-0...eature=related

they say it reduces drag by 7 percent.

when i used to work at a chevy dealership, i used to see cars with huge chunks of ice in their grill / inside the bumper, making their bump sag and rip the clips / bolts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: