Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #31
bart320i
6th Gear Member

this will seriously kill the resale value of our car too. I have a feeling this move will back fire on bmw. The exclusivity will be tarnished. Like come one this 90hp compact will not even compete with a VW Golf 2.0. "A BMW below a VW Golf 2.0". This is not gonna look good. A ****ing Kia Spectra will eat this thing. Then an M version will compete with a VR6 and SIR. This is really hurting.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #32
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I still don't know if the 1-series will be below the Mini price point.....
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #33
Marecar
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Marecar
Guys, your forgetting that mentality in europe is way different than in North America. If you ever went ther you would see how tough it is on the pocket to drive a large engine car because of gasoline prices. (Italy 2 summers ago 1L was 2.2$ can) and secondly there are almost no parking laws in europe so smaller the car in more places you can park it.
Also dont forget the famous 316 that doesnot exist in NA and they had 96 horses (E36)
I think BMW with 1 series will be competing with many carmakers like VW, Audi, Mercedes, Opel, Ford, Peugeot, Citroen... and the list goes on
Old 02-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #34
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marecar
Guys, your forgetting that mentality in europe is way different than in North America. If you ever went ther you would see how tough it is on the pocket to drive a large engine car because of gasoline prices. (Italy 2 summers ago 1L was 2.2$ can) and secondly there are almost no parking laws in europe so smaller the car in more places you can park it.
Also dont forget the famous 316 that doesnot exist in NA and they had 96 horses (E36)
I think BMW with 1 series will be competing with many carmakers like VW, Audi, Mercedes, Opel, Ford, Peugeot, Citroen... and the list goes on
very true
in europe this car is gonna be a GOLDMINE and its EXACTLY what BMW needs, since in europe they're more about LOOKIN GOOD while being ECONOMIC, however, IF BMW were to in fact bring over the new 1 series it would not be good for BMW NA, but i doubt they will just like how they never brought over the 316 or even KEPT the compact here in NA!!!
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #35
22b
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 22b
that is true marecar but they should keep the 1 series a BMW quality car. it cant be that low of a price with the bmw quality into it. they should keep them in europe to save us bmw fans from being miserable everytime we see a 1 series thats all riced out. the M1 however would be a fun car in RWD because after market compaines are going to make upgrades for the 1series because they will sell. people will get them for the BMW name no matter how junky they are!!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #36
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Exclamation More power

1.6 Liter engine is quite small, and I hope itís not the Neon motor. There are so many good cars out there that have good handling AND much more horsepower. I canít see it doing well if it only has a 1.6L engine.

On that note, I think the 2002 e46 2.5L should become the base motor on the 3 Series (price drop from current), the 3.0L become the more the standard car ($44K-$49K) range, and then need a new bigger motor for the top of the line 3 Series. You canít increase the price, but they need to start having more power.

Then move the 2.0L 2002 e46 Motor into the 1 or the 2 Series they are coming out with.

If the 6 Cycl 2.0L engine isnít cost effective, put in a 1.9L 4 Cylinder (perhaps double vanos it). You have to admit, it would do quite well in a smaller car.

Iím sorry, but BMW has become underpowered compared to a lot of cars. They need to step up. They still remain well balanced and fun to drive, but come on.. more power please.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:57 PM   #37
SickFinga

Man BMW is a european car.
They had low pavered cars from the begining.
I bet you won't see 116i in canada.
If 1 series will come here the lowest will be 118i.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:59 AM   #38
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Last time I checked...the Mini's price tag was in the $30,000 out the door range. Not a good starting price on a car that doesn't have it's name established here. I would doubt that the new 1-series will be lower than that...and if i'm gonna pay more than $30,000, I better GET $30,000 worth of car...my ti was $34,000 base price.
In my opinion...the Mini should be a stripper car with a killer engine...given it's size...the Mini in my mind is a $20,000 car...considering you can get a Toyota Matrix for that price.
I've seen the E46 Compact...they shouldn't have changed the front lights...they should have kept it regular E46, and they should bring THAT over before they bring the 1-series.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:00 AM   #39
Marecar
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Marecar
dtthiaga

If you want a muscle car get a mustang or a camaro. I am happy with my 2.2 L 320 and 170 HP. Engine size is not everything. As SickFinga said BMW is a European car and since obviously you havent been there you wouldnt know the gass prices and laws regarding aftermarket parts. In Germany there are SOO many parts you can buy BUT maby 5 or 10 % are Atested and legal to put on the car, for everything else you get a FAT ticket.
Personally i love small cars Like Peugeot 206 and i cant wait for 1 series to come out. I am shur that BMW will not skimp on quolity to save money 22b and i agree it sucks when we see a riced up 1 series with wings west spoiler at the back
Old 02-06-2003, 12:29 AM   #40
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
the 1 series may not come to the US or North America from what i have heard.
there will be a 2 series also which is almost the same from what i have heard.......found out on www.BMWinfo.com

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #41
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
it is a pretty good 1st car if you think of it! NEW!
because the 3 series may be a little bit too much.....you can always go with a used car anyways.
the 1 series should come out by the time i may start getting a permit or later (2004/5)

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 02:12 AM   #42
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
Last time I checked...the Mini's price tag was in the $30,000 out the door range. Not a good starting price on a car that doesn't have it's name established here. I would doubt that the new 1-series will be lower than that...and if i'm gonna pay more than $30,000, I better GET $30,000 worth of car...my ti was $34,000 base price.
In my opinion...the Mini should be a stripper car with a killer engine...given it's size...the Mini in my mind is a $20,000 car...considering you can get a Toyota Matrix for that price.
I've seen the E46 Compact...they shouldn't have changed the front lights...they should have kept it regular E46, and they should bring THAT over before they bring the 1-series.
BUT TAKE A LOOK AT OTHER THINGS!!!!
i mean can ANY of the cars in the minis price range HANDLE as well as the MINI, NO, thats what i thought!!
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 02:18 AM   #43
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Marecar

I have absolutely no interest in a muscle car. I want something that handles well; a well balanced car. I donít think Iíd ever buy a V8. Thereís ample power to be had from a 6Cycl engine. I drive a lot and a V8 would kill me in gas costs.

However, Iím not happy with the power from my 2.5L motor. I like my car a lot, but it needs more power. I have to admit, the sound from an inline 6 is amazing.

I was just making a point that in light of the competition, a 2003 184HP 325i for $52,000 is a bit much.

92HP engine is just wrong in a BMW. If thatís the case, Iíd buy a loaded Jetta 1.8T or Acura TSX. The hatchback version of the 1 Series probably wonít be able to keep up with the Civic SIR. I want a car to drive, not the name or emblem on the hood so it can look pretty on my driveway.

A manufacturer has to adapt to the market they are selling in! There is a reason why a 316 and 318 exits.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 02:25 AM   #44
v.b.
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to v.b.
that's my friend's c-coupe, what is it doing in here??? you know her?

v.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #45
NickP

Everything I've read about the 1 series says it will be RWD... SickFinga where did you hear it will be FWD? Tim Purves also said that the 1 series is still 3 years away from production.

Also I'm all for a smaller more affordable BMW - I don't think it will cheapen the marque at all - and it won't be that cheap - they're supposed to start at around $26,000 US and that's for the 1.8 which will be the base model in North America.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: