Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
noid
5th Gear Member

Car painting

Theres some rust on the e30 and was thinking of getting it reparied then painted.

Not looking for something superdopper crazy ass good paintjob thats 5k. More or less just fix the rust then paint it black.

Could macco do this? I heard they were cheap.

How much am i looking at as far as price?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
maroli
6th Gear Member

you're prob referring to the Maaco ambassador paint job or economy or whatever its called. I hear its terrible

hope that helps
maroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I have heard that if you do the prep Maaco is ok at best. Otherwise the shit just chips off.

I don't know of any max members who have been resprayed at Maaco.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

I know it's a little late, but proper maintenance will prevent rust from occurring. I normally deal with the high end of the market so I can only guide you to places that charge premium prices for premium work. FWIW Maaco may be one of the cheapest.
HoldenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Paint

For what you are describing depending on where it is...how extensive it is etc...and what steps you want to take to replace it then you will control your own costs...if you do the prep work yourself you will save lots of cash...for example you can wire wheel the rust out completely spray it with some rust stop let it dry, cover it with some body filler and get a smooth paintable surface then remove all the trim off the entire panel and mask it off then take it to Maaco...the cost will drop A LOT.
Adrenalin540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

if you do the prep work yourself, you might as well go all the way and spray it yourself, expresspaint.com sells bmw color in rattle cans.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Mickey

My experience with rattle cans isn't as good as a bad job from Maaco...somehow you can never get the same clear coat shinel...then again it may be the way I use the rattle can...
Adrenalin540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

i beg to differ, i did my door jamb yesterday, with primer color and clear and it looks a lot better than a single stage butcher job from maaco. the quality lies mostly in the prep work, spraying it is 10 minutes at the most, then cans come with a decent nozzle that gives a good spray pattern. I ended up ****ing with the tape too early and made some other patience realted mistakes, but neither where the fault of the rattlers. when i do the drivers side i will post pics of how it looks. If i correct my mistakes from the passenger side i can gurantee you, you will have a hard time seeing where i sprayed.

anyways i will post it up in a few weeks, i need to do my trunk lid too.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

^^ Hey Mickey - really looking forward to those pics!

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
woofster
3rd Gear Member

I've done rattle can paint jobs on sectional parts of a car body before and it does turn out alright. No, it's not a professional finish but for the most part, most people can't tell unless they're looking at it carefully. The key is definitely the prep work. For your E30, I'd suggest going this route.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

also depends on where the spots are. if its the common ones, bottom of the fedner well etc. thats not too hard to doo and is mostly dirty during use anyways, just thinking practical. it also depends on what you want, if you just want to keep it from rusting and not get noticed right away, DIY should do. again, proper sanding, cleaning and taping is essential. i sandblasted my door jambs then primed, then took all the tape off and evened out the edge of the primer to level with the original paint, also scuffing some of the old paint job. cleaned and retaped the section slightly larger and sprayed the color and clear.

the express paint rattle can nozzle makes a nice 3 or 4 inch line spray pattern.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamus View Post
^^ Hey Mickey - really looking forward to those pics!

i few more days and i can wetsand the first door jamb, the one i really messed up after i was done , i think it should look alright, clearcoated door jambs look really good on a e36, dunno if its standard, but mine where deffo not clearcoated and looked more like overspray onto primer than an actual full coat of paint. i can post pics of that when its done and look sdecent, the other jamb has to wait a few weeks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: