Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Revise Ontario Street Racing Legislation - Petition

Hi Guys - please look at this and sign if you agree.
http://www.petitiononline.com/civil013/
Thanks.
enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

did any body sign it?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
ZHP_Bimmer05
Photographer/DJ/Engineer

Send a message via MSN to ZHP_Bimmer05
im 3932nd person who signed

2004 Mazda RX8 GT: 6spd VR
ZHP_Bimmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
coolhand
Banned

Driving is a privlage and those who abuse that privlage should suffer harsh consiquences.

If you want to speed or drive dangerously don't do it on public roads.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Driving is a privlage and those who abuse that privlage should suffer harsh consiquences.

You are absolutely right about that. However, this petition is about "due process" and not about letting people drive dangerously. In a free and democratic society we should follow the rule of law and the law should follow "due process" because that is the law of the land.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Very true, but with the accused has rights which should always be honored.

Even guilty drunk drivers who have killed are still inocent untill proven guilty and free to do as they will till convicted.

This "street racing" is way too open for curruption and simply allow abuse to anyones Civil rights if the police officer (Judge & Jury thanks to this law) is having a bad day.

Super bikes have been outrunning cops for years now just to avoid the old fines, now OPP are told not to presue bikes.

If this bill sticks I'd hope you Ontarians retaliate in the same manner again.
999666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Whip_lash
3rd Gear Member

I dont know why people create these petitions, they never do anything. You woulf need huge protests infront of city hall every day for them to even consider getting rid of this law, theyre just making way too much damn money to even slightly consider it.
Whip_lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I think that this petition is a very good point, cause there are a lot of flaws with this law. However, has an internet petition EVER had any sucess?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
Signed: 3945

I feel that a lot of people view speeding & street racing as a bad thing. Well, let's talk about this some more.

First off, from strickly an economical view point, speeding & street racing is VERY good for Ontario. The province receives millions of $'s each year from speeding related tickets. The money collected from these infractions are more then likely incorporated into the provincial budget. Which gives you a good indication on just how much money they are collecting.

On another note, there is a HUGE difference between speeding on a busy freeway & speeding on an open freeway. Excessive speeding on a busy freeway is just plain dumb. The main reason is because you're probably weaving in and out of traffic. This creates a lot of danger to other drivers. Why? Simply put, there are a lot of terrible drivers on the road. I have no idea how they even got licensed! Many people do not know how to react to a lot of situations on the road. Which is the reason a lot of accidents happen.

A fair number of "street racing" tickets are probably given out later at night, when there is hardly any traffic (if any) on the freeway. To me, if you're the ONLY one on the freeway I see no reason why it should be viewed as a bad thing to speed. If you want to put your self at risk, well then that's your choice. If you are approaching someone then you simply slow down until you pass them and proceed to speed up once clear.

There is a lot of open space on a freeway so nothing should jump out at you to make you crash. City streets and highways are a difference as well. Excessive speeding on City Streets & Highways are more or less stupid. There are numerous points where problems can arise. People jumping onto the road, parked cars, etc.

Also, there is a different between speeding and street racing. I hope I don't have to go into detail about this. It's fairly logical.

A few last things, if you hate people who speed then go hate yourself. Everyone speeds! If you're constantly doing the the speed limit or below then you're a hazard on the road.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the subject.
BenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

well

if at night the highways were empty and you let your throttle loose
you're gonna have a bunch of other people who want to do it too
so then you'll have a lot of other cars ripping the gas aswell.

...assuming you can do that legally, or in the event of.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
Yes, a lot of cars will want to do it. However, we simply go back the point if you're the only one around why does it matter really? Look at the autobaum (or however you spell it) for instance. If there is a lot of traffic you're probably not going to be topping out at 240 KM/H, if your car can do that. You'll just cruise at a nice, faster pace. If there is very little traffic, you'll probably go faster because it's a nice rush.

If you're weaving in and out of traffic, then you're creating a lot of danger points. If you're in one lane, it's not that big of a problem. I think legally you should be able to speed if there is next to no traffic. Others will disagree. To each his or her own.
BenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip_lash View Post
I dont know why people create these petitions, they never do anything. You woulf need huge protests infront of city hall every day for them to even consider getting rid of this law, theyre just making way too much damn money to even slightly consider it.
You make a good point. I really do not know if such petitions change anything. As I see it - there are 2 options. Option 1 is do nothing and let the Government do as they please. Option 2 is to do something.

Now - a petition is part of Option 2. It may not do much good in the long term but it is a starting point. It needs to be built upon. By itself it does not change much.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip_lash View Post
I dont know why people create these petitions, they never do anything.
Tell that to France.

The Only country I know of were the public is in actual control of their government.

Reason being majority of the population actualy do protest laws they dislike instead of bending over and let themselves get raped by the government like us Canadians.
999666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

I say all car enthusiasts and/or people who are fed up with the bullshit, do what the truckers did...and have a huge convoy blocking all the roads. At the same time, its not the cops...its the people who control their job, the cop having a bad day...same rule is for the person whos making your food at a resteraunt.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBMW View Post
Yes, a lot of cars will want to do it. However, we simply go back the point if you're the only one around why does it matter really? Look at the autobaum (or however you spell it) for instance. If there is a lot of traffic you're probably not going to be topping out at 240 KM/H, if your car can do that. You'll just cruise at a nice, faster pace. If there is very little traffic, you'll probably go faster because it's a nice rush.

If you're weaving in and out of traffic, then you're creating a lot of danger points. If you're in one lane, it's not that big of a problem. I think legally you should be able to speed if there is next to no traffic. Others will disagree. To each his or her own.
That will never work in North America, people here drive tottaly diffrent. Like the douches I see on a daily basis driving in the passing lane and don't ever have the ediqute(sp?) to move over. I was in the Neatherlands last week, did about 1,000km. I didn't encounter 1 person who just drove in the passing lane. EVERYONE there moves over that's why it works so well. Maybe they should make the 'driving in the passing lane' law harsher.

One more thing, soon trucks won't be able to past 105 so if your going 150 ur 45+ them within a couple feet of them. Now normally a 45km difffrence is no big deal but if somone swerves that can easily become fatal especially if there is no room or ability to recover.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: