Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
WillieE30
2nd Gear Member

Bad mid driveshaft bearing repair, I have a question

Does the exhaust have to be dropped?...It is pretty cramped in there I know but it seems to me that I read somewhere that it doesn't???.....That being said I have a driveshaft that has a vibration dampener as well at the guibo. I am having a problem dropping the exhaust at the manifold. I have all but one nut off and it is coming out stud and all, a real bugger...any suggestions as to what to do..should I continue to remove it or turn it back in???...thanks... Bill
BTW...89 325Ic

Last edited by WillieE30; 05-19-2008 at 10:21 PM.
WillieE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
Its loose now, get it out and put it in after the exhaust is out or turn it back in and use a nutsplitter. With a splitter you might run the risk of damaging the stud but that risk is slight.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

if the stud is coming out with the nut, thats not a problem.

Then problem comes when you brake a stud in there, or round the nut, so if your not doing either, i'd continue.

Also you can remove the driveshalf without removing the exhaust, but it's every crammed in there and you have to seperate it and really force it out i think. I remember deuon (e30_kid) telling me he got his out.

I always found it easier to drop the whole exhaust.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
WillieE30
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys...I am worried about breaking the stud. It seems to be getting harder to remove. I guess the last guy in there crossthreaded the nut making it near impossible to remove. I'll give it a shot of penetrating oil and let it sit a day or so to see if it becomes easier. This particular one is difficult to reach and I have to use a 15mm wrench vs a socket....it kind of sucks as there is very little room.....thanks again Bill
WillieE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

No prob.

Try spraying the threads from both sides and if it gets tighter coming out, turn it back in a little bit, spray it and try again.

If you feel ambitious, heat up the exhaust manifold around the stud with a torch. Heat makes anything easier to come out.

Also the best way to reach the studs is with a long extention and a swivel socket from underneat. Got all of mine out that way.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
InfiniteDice
12 Years with the E30

And for the love of (choose something) use all new nuts/bolts when you reassemble. They are kinda expensive, but most exhaust stuff that's been around more than 5 years is crap.

If it takes me more than a few minutes to remove, I cut it off... at that point the nut/bolt is so sad anyways it needs replacing.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
And for the love of (choose something) use all new nuts/bolts when you reassemble. They are kinda expensive, but most exhaust stuff that's been around more than 5 years is crap.

If it takes me more than a few minutes to remove, I cut it off... at that point the nut/bolt is so sad anyways it needs replacing.

+1 and amen to that one. i am doing my flex disc next week, i have all new hardware for everything that comes off, inluding exhaust bolts, gaskets and hangers, makes the whole thing more pricey, but i hate nothing more than doing a job and then finding out you have a crack in a 8 dollar dust cover or some crap.

also, this way destruction is a viable option for removal.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: