Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #31
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONKA View Post
How many of u here have lost someone close because some punk racing, speeding or aggressive driving lost control and ended everything. Nothing in the past has been done and the punk is out free enjoying his life. Speeding tickets were a joke to fight with a good lawyer and the accused are set free.
Actually - I do not know a single person who has been killed by a street racer. Were there 2 deaths last year in Ontario? I suspect liver failure caused by drinking alcohol caused many more than 2 deaths last year. Ontario's population is 12,800,000 (est) as of 2007/07/01. Chances of being killed by a speed racer is 1 in 6,400,000. Chances of being killed by lightning is 1 out of 6,061,000(http://hazmat.dot.gov/riskmgmt/riskcompare.htm). Lightning kills more people than speed racers.... By the way - I do not know a single soul killed by lightning either.
enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #32
TONKA
1st Gear Newbie

Aggressive driving or street racing or impulsive behavior on a motor vehicle are in the same category, don't know why you all young drivers feel you need to drive 50K over the limit because you are in rush. May be some should come out to the accident scene and you will be surprised the number of casualties related to the above. Don't just argue because you feel like a victim and need to defend your selves, may be next time consider you privileges for driving not abusing keeping in mind these are public roads not your private property.
TONKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #33
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
But why does your private property have to be seized?

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #34
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Aggressive driving or street racing or impulsive behavior on a motor vehicle are in the same category, don't know why you all young drivers feel you need to drive 50K over the limit because you are in rush. May be some should come out to the accident scene and you will be surprised the number of casualties related to the above. Don't just argue because you feel like a victim and need to defend your selves, may be next time consider you privileges for driving not abusing keeping in mind these are public roads not your private property.

I hope you don't have Good listener on your resume!

Look at what people are posting. Nobody is saying that people SHOULD drive 50km over the limit. In Canada, the way the law is SUPPOSED to work is you are Innocent until proven guilty. This is not the case with the street racing law. It is the opposite.

Lets say you were driving on the highway, going 99km/h (since you OBVIOUSLY don't speed, cause it's wrong! ). Some punk whizzes past you. A cop pulls YOU over, and charges YOU cause it was the same car, and the cop just confused you with the other car. Now your car gets impounded right away and you loose your licence for a week, no questions asked. You pay to get your car removed from the impound lot as well as the tow truck to the impound. You must pay to reinstate your licence as well. Thats a lot of money to fork over considering you were innocent. Now, you go to court, fight the ticket and you WERE in fact found INNOCENT, you don't get ANY of the money back, and you still lost your licence car for that week when it happened (which could cost you a lot more if you can't get to work as you have no other means of transportation.)

This law is a cash crop and nothing more. The media/government put a spin on it and try to create as much of a buzz as they can, and as tragic as ANY accident is, i'm sure theres a lot more deaths from paper cuts than there is from street racing.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #35
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Are you incoherent? or just ignorant?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #36
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
I hope you don't have Good listener on your resume!

Look at what people are posting. Nobody is saying that people SHOULD drive 50km over the limit. In Canada, the way the law is SUPPOSED to work is you are Innocent until proven guilty. This is not the case with the street racing law. It is the opposite.

Lets say you were driving on the highway, going 99km/h (since you OBVIOUSLY don't speed, cause it's wrong! ). Some punk whizzes past you. A cop pulls YOU over, and charges YOU cause it was the same car, and the cop just confused you with the other car. Now your car gets impounded right away and you loose your licence for a week, no questions asked. You pay to get your car removed from the impound lot as well as the tow truck to the impound. You must pay to reinstate your licence as well. Thats a lot of money to fork over considering you were innocent. Now, you go to court, fight the ticket and you WERE in fact found INNOCENT, you don't get ANY of the money back, and you still lost your licence car for that week when it happened (which could cost you a lot more if you can't get to work as you have no other means of transportation.)

This law is a cash crop and nothing more. The media/government put a spin on it and try to create as much of a buzz as they can, and as tragic as ANY accident is, i'm sure theres a lot more deaths from paper cuts than there is from street racing.
not only do you NOT get your money back for the impound, the licence suspension STILL SHOWS ON YOUR RECORD.

proven innocent, but still guilty? how does that work.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #37
SickFinga

Quote:

The new racing law has been the only thing so far positive to put all speeders and aggressive drivers to control their driving behavior or at least think about it. I'm 100% for this new racing law.

Quote:
Although fewer cottagers made the trek north this holiday weekend, the number of accidents and traffic violations remained the same, said OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino.

Clearly the new law isn't working.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #38
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

I don't live in Ontario, but I was just wondering, can anything be done about this law other than signing petitions and bitching on the internet? This is a democracy, right?

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK
OEM Clears, LED license plate lights, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #39
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
I don't live in Ontario, but I was just wondering, can anything be done about this law other than signing petitions and bitching on the internet? This is a democracy, right?
Well - I would suggest demonstrations at the Provincial Legislature.... I suggested that many moons ago and got shot down. I could protest alone but the legislature would just laugh at me.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #40
lukeh
runnin' capless

Pull a farmer stunt. Bunch of modified cars doing 100 on the 401 @ rush hour in the a.m. That always seems to attract hilarious attention.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #41
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh View Post
Pull a farmer stunt. Bunch of modified cars doing 100 on the 401 @ rush hour in the a.m. That always seems to attract hilarious attention.
Suggested that too and once again people were saying that we would just get tickets for obstruction of traffic.

Nobody is interested in dealing with this properly - the French know how to get their government to bow down to the people.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #42
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

...animal farm...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #43
540i6
1st Gear Newbie

This is such a stupid law because is doesn't matter who you are, if you're going 50km/h over the posted speed limit your car will be confiscated, license will be suspended, you'll have to pay a maximum fine of $10,000, and charged for "racing". I don't know if you've heard of the Autobahn but it's a famous highway located in Germany that 1/3 of German's use everyday. There are no speed limits on %55 of the Autobahn and still today it's considered to be one of the safest highways in the world. You have a three times greater chance of dying on our 400 series highways than you do on the German Autobahn with people going at least double the speed, and lets not forget that Germany has about three times the population of Canada. It costs approximately 3,000-5,000 euros just to get a driver's license in Germany and takes about one year to complete. They properly teach you how to drive by actually letting you take the car to it's potential in every weather condition, so you can feel comfortable and react logical in unsafe scenarios. I take this subject very personnel because it's my life that's on the line everyday i go to work, i feel our government is just finding way's to make money out of the problem instead of trying to solve the problem. It's just getting worse everyday i drive. WE NEED TO EDUCATE CANADIAN DRIVER'S! Since the new “street racing” law death rates have just gone up in Ontario, so obviously this law isn’t helping.
540i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
BennyL
7th Gear Member

for the love of god, everyone needs to STOP CALLING THIS STREET RACING.

****!

the media calls it street racing, so everybody thinks that what it is. it is so ****ing misleading. stop ****ing calling it that. how many times do i have to say this... its not the "street racing" law, its the ****ing STUNT law.

and soldo, i think that scenario you pitched is a prime example of how twisted the ontario legislature has become. the stunt law truly does stink of fascism. where the hell are our constitutional rights and freedoms? where the hell is the right to fair trial? where the hell is the right of due process? this is totally ****ed and something needs to be done about it. as boots said, its simply screwed up that you can be charged, then have to pay up all the cash, and in the end you don't get it back if you are found innocent in a COURT OF LAW! not to mention, the suspension on your record is a guarantee that you will be doubling your already sky-high insurance rates.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #45
BennyL
7th Gear Member

oh, and who ever that dumb piece of shit was that got booked 239 in an 80... he should never be allowed to drive another motors vehicle for the rest of his life. stupid ****.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: