Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

rust correction help

hey,

i bought a set of rattle cans, primer, bmw jetblack and clear from expresspaint.com, i iam going to knock out the little rust spots that are forming at the door sill etc. I know i need to grind down all the rust to bare metal, so it will need to be primed before i can spray the color, spray the clear after the color, let it cure for 5-10 days and then wetsand the transition and polish so there is a smooth transition to the old paint.

my question is on how to tape off and spray the transisiton. if have seen a technique on a DIY to fold over the tape down the middle to create a "soft" transisiton to the old clear coat, but i also know that you never should spray on top of the clear. would the best approach be to sand down a hard edge i.e. tape it off before i start sanding (i am going to use a little sandblaster to get rid of most of the paint), then spray the hard edge and area to be corrected with primer and color, then remove the tape and use the half tape technique to create a soft border for the clear ?

i know rattle cans are not optimal, but at least the color is OEM and the car is due for a repaint in the not to distant future, so if i mess up it cant get much worse.

any advice much appreciated

mickey
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Zorin
Herr Meister

sand it do metal around the rust area, clean with mineral spirits, primer with some sanding - few coats to level the area, clean with mineral spirits, apply color - few light coats with some detail sanding followed to blend it in by clear to match the "depth" of the color. as to blending do it so that you have atleast 4-5 inches to the repair area spraying from the repair area to towards the good paint.

1984 318i w/M10 - restomod in progress :-)
1984 325e - in car heaven now :-(
1991 325i - project / parts car
2005 325i executive edition - daily driver :-)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2831989

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

thank you sir, the previous owner, or dumbass as i like to call him by now, aparently used SUPERGLUE to put the badges back on. Baby jesus cried when i debadged it. the glue ate into the top coat, looks really bad. I also have the bottom edge of the trunk rusting, so i think i am going to just do the entire rear section of the trunk lid all the way up to the edge, if i put the split between old and new paint right on the edge it should be easier to match the old to the new section than on a plain section.

wohoo, got time off from this thrusday all the way till june 3rd. packages inbound from pelicanparts (flexdisc, door sills, trim pieces), ddm tuning (Depo HID), a wrecker in indiana (trunk floor), paint and shidazle from expresspaint, and a MIG welder (trunk floor). also a few hardware pieces from my friends at TMS which i picked up last week.

wonder what happend to "lets have a cheap vacation and just stay home" I could have gone 5 star carribean vacation for the price of parts.

please dont rain please dont rain please dont rain.

project E36 coupe back to "new" well underway. faded trim piece replacement makes a world of difference. its getting harder and harder to make ppl believe its actually a 93. i heard comments like "hey thats a 2003 model"

once the trunk is done and the lights are in i am going to take proper picture.

EDIt : "color - few light coats with some detail sanding followed to blend it in by clear to match the "depth" of the color."
Zorin, what do you mean by that, sand the color coat? how do you match the depth?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Zorin
Herr Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Knox View Post

EDIt : "color - few light coats with some detail sanding followed to blend it in by clear to match the "depth" of the color."
Zorin, what do you mean by that, sand the color coat? how do you match the depth?
Visually, every color has depth to it meaning that when you blend color you need blend the visual depth as well since otherwise the area will stick out.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

what i meant was, are you actually sanding the color coat in between coats? or just apply color until it matches the original paint? if the answer is sanding in between, what am i looking for while i do this?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Zorin
Herr Meister

you can wetsand the color to get the imperfections out or to blend it more - use very fine fabric backed sandpaper

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

thx i will give that a swing next week and post pics of the result

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: