Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
nick_star
cruiser

Amp Help!!!

Hey,

I just got an amp but its not goving me any power. I pluged in the positive red cable to the battery and the ground wire to a bolt in my trunk due to my battery being in the trunk. and no power. then i tried the ground wire to the negitive side to the battey and agin no power.

can anyone please help me?

i think i mihgt no the answer to my problem but ineed a second opinion.

in the front of my car under the hod there is a little positive bolt sticking up from my car in a box on the top rihgt corner. this is were i have my hid's pluged into. is that were i should plug it in?
nick_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
archrival
E36 Addict

you are fine with having it all hooked up in the rear but you need to have your remote wire hooked up...blue wire out the back of the deck and then run it too the REM on your amp
archrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
nick_star
cruiser

yah i forgot to mention that too. i have that doen as well.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
DANE
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to DANE
Check Ur Fuse
DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
elroy
2nd Gear Member

fuse in the amp and fuse that you put in the power line.
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
DANE
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to DANE
Quote:
Originally Posted by elory View Post
fuse in the amp and fuse that you put in the power line.
check them both
DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

if you have an original BMW amp installed in the trunk (dunno what car you got) you can hijack the remote-on cable from there, as well as all speaker wires, this is not going to be as nice as using the line out, but saves you from running cables under your carpet. you WILL need your bentley for that one.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
nick_star
cruiser

i have an infinity amp. i pluged it into my friends jetta and it works fine. the fuse is brand new. its not getting any power from the battery to the amp. so i dont no what to do now. i wanna have some bass for wasaga this may 2-4 long weekend, so hopefully someone can get me out.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
elroy
2nd Gear Member

Is there a fuse inline with the postive feed to the amp? This sounds really strange to me considering it worked in your friends car. If anything, get him to check your install, much easier to tell whats wrong in person
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

step by step

ok you know the amp works, so next check that there is actually voltage on the terminal at the amp, measure this against the ground terminal on the battery just to be sure. if you got voltage there, check it against the ground terminal on the amp, no voltage means your ground connection is shitty (mounted on paint or a piece that happens to be insulated).

if you dont have a volt meter you can use a 12 volt bulb or something. if there is no voltage the in-line fuse is blown or inserted incorrectly. a new piece of heavy gauge amp wire shouldnt be too expensive, give than it doesnt have to go far.

good luck

Edit: if the plus and the ground wire check out fine, check the voltage of the REM cable, some work on 5 volts some on 12 i think, if it takes 12 volts you can hook it up to the battery to test it.

Last edited by Mickey Knox; 05-14-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
nick_star
cruiser

hey guys i found the problem,

when everthing was connected right but when i was running my wires fromt he deck to the trunk to the amp, the plastic cover of my REM wite had a split on it and it was touching other metal located behind the back seats. so i just put tape around that and its all god!

thanks for ur help guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: