Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Sickboy
1st Gear Newbie

Wintering with an M3 experiences

Hi,

I'm a new member as the number of posts indicate...

A little about me first.. I have owned an e46 330i in the past for about 5 years and sold it. I now have an e90 330i that is leased. Both were equiped with sport package, however, I've only been to the track with the e46. Anyway, I guess I would say that I'm fairly familiar with the 3 series after all these years. I'm a little ahead of my time in doing this, but with all the nice cars around in the spring, I've been thinking about what to do when my lease is up ( in the winter ). I could either buy out my lease, buy a used e46 M3 or get a new/slightly used ( low km ) e90.

Down to my question.. How is the e46 M3 in the winter - with dedicated winter tires? Of course I had dedicated snows for both of my cars in the winter and I only had problems in deeper snow or on hills. If there's snow build up at a parking spot I'd always be at risk of having the car "sit" on the snow and get stuck. The M3 must be lower, and the tires would probably be wider, then I imagine it would be a bit worse. Or is the general consensus "Don't get an M3 if you need an all year round car - that's not its purpose"? Note that I do go skiing in Ontario/Vermont/Quebec so getting through winter is definitely a concern to me.

What are your thoughts?

TIA

Sickboy
Sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Not sure if this is an answear your question....A few days ago I drove a 335 4 door... No offence to E90 owners, but the car drove just like late model 330i. Like the wheel was smaller and some shifters on a wheel ,but not much difference. Maybe it's just me. It felt like 05-330.

I would get a cheap beater and move to an M3.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The M3 is the best E46 (and E90/E92, actually) car for the winter. It's the only model with an LSD (and an awesome one). Put skinnier winter tires on it and enjoy. Yes it's lower, but not nearly enough to cause a problem.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

All E46's are great in the snow, skinny tires & you're set!

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
jsonli
1st Gear Newbie

I got stuck once this winter... I wouldn't have if I had an LSD.
But that said the LSD might make it twitchier while moving.
e.g. when I floor my 330 turning on snow, one tire will spin and the other one will maintain traction with the road (although it won't have much power going to it). With an LSD I would probably lose traction with both wheels and lose my whole backend?
jsonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
atmos_fans
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonli View Post
I got stuck once this winter... I wouldn't have if I had an LSD.
But that said the LSD might make it twitchier while moving.
e.g. when I floor my 330 turning on snow, one tire will spin and the other one will maintain traction with the road (although it won't have much power going to it). With an LSD I would probably lose traction with both wheels and lose my whole backend?
Who would floor their cars in the snow
atmos_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if this helps you at all but I had to drive my M3 (E36) last winter and I didn't have any big problems with it. I got stuck on my street once and I had to wait for the plow to go through before pulling out of the driveway but it passed.

I love M3s so my opinion is biased... I say get the M3.
2004 Mitsubishi Galant SOLD
1993 Plymouth Duster SOLD
///MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Sickboy
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys. I have till about Oct until I will really start looking. I'll definitely keep the M3 idea on my plate to check out!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

ever consider an e46 xi model?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Hawaii
2nd Gear Member

The E46 M3 is INVINCIBLE in snow.

This past winter as my first with my E46 M Cab. The previous year i was in a E46 330i with 16inch snow. I was running snows on my OEM 18s. I had NO PROBLEMS. We all remember how wretched this past winter was, I remember of three specific instances driving in major major snow falls, and not lite driving, suburbs to downtown and back driving, the M held up great. I never got stuck once on major and even residential roads. I was getting in and out of places that FWD cars and inexperienced drivers were getting stuck (300+ hp and good snows will get you places in the thick of things). Only twice did I get stuck, both times were on my small side street at 4am on the nights of heavy snow fall when there was 40 cm of snow.

I would recommend 3m clear taping the lip of your bumper, because mine did get a bit scratched up. But if you are a bit more temperate than I was in the winter, when I was believing my car was invincible and all, you might not wear on it as much.

Have fun........DORIFTO TIME!!!
'93 Honda Del Sol SOLD
'94 JDM Integra GSR SOLD
'01 330i SOLD
'01 M3 Cabriolet

Last edited by Hawaii; 05-18-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Sickboy
1st Gear Newbie

How about on the hills?

Hey, Hawaii ( or anyone else ),

How was hill driving? Specifically I remember a late night coming up Avenue between Dupont and St. Clair in one of those massive drops. I made it up in my e90, but is was slower than walking speed. Balencing on the rear tires, the front of the car would be shifting all over the place. It would have been a bit scarier if there was oncoming traffic at 3am. Would an LSD make that type of thing ( slow hill ascent in ~6 inches of snow ) easier?

I know you guys must think I'm overly paranoid, since its not like the past winter is the norm here in TO. I just have some concerns if I take her into Vermont or eastern townships for some skiing.

I know it won't be like some 4x4/Jeep in the snow, but a comparison between my old e46 330i or current e90 330 as a reference would be great.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
Hawaii
2nd Gear Member

you shouldn't have too many problems. I know the hill you are speaking of and I did it in my M no prob. usually some good momentum helps tackle these things, but yes the LSD definitely helps. some times you just need to take off the DSC and use all that horsepower to get the job done!
'93 Honda Del Sol SOLD
'94 JDM Integra GSR SOLD
'01 330i SOLD
'01 M3 Cabriolet
Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

LSD makes a difference, but the tires used are at least 5x as important.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
daily996
1st Gear Newbie

I drive my E46 M3 All year round. My winter tires size 225/45/18 all around. Get me throught last winter. No Problem. Sometime even turn off the DSC, more fun! (with no cars around)
daily996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
automadness
2nd Gear Member

i would go with a 335xi if u go skiing a lot its really powerful but it will be awsome in the snow since its awd and u can chip it to be just as fast as an m3
automadness is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: