Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Spoose
5th Gear Member

fighting high gas prices

gas prices seem to be getting outrageous and there seems to be no end. petro canada reported an $1 billion profit in the first quarter of this year!!! talk about gauging the consumers. anyways, someone started something like this before and not too sure if it worked, thought I would throw it up there.

we all know we need gas and will pay what we need to, so its not about not buying gas anymore. if we pick one large company (say petro or esso) and not buy gas from them, and focus on buying gas from their competitors only, (shell or sunoco). the large companies will see a dip in their pocket books and reduce their prices to attract customers. if we hold out enough, maybe even start a mini gas war. if we get enough people to stop buying from esso or petro we may affect their profits. does anyone think this will work?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
noid
5th Gear Member

It could work but we dont have nearly enough people to make it work. Your talking on a very very large scale here... even if ALL the members on this forum did this it still wouldn't even register on gas companies radar so to speak.

But to answer your question yes it would work. The better question is how will you get enough people to do it?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

agreed. There has got to be a way though to make people aware. Peter Silverman??
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Spoose
5th Gear Member

well if we could get the word out, everyone tell someone at work who will tell someone etc. I know we need a lot of people, but I am sure a lot of people are pissed about the way gas prices are going. anyone have ideas on how to get the ball rolling?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

how about driving less?

The solution isn't cheaper gas, oil is running out. Fight all you want they can't lower it

Last edited by jstalin; 05-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
how about driving less?

The solution isn't cheaper gas, oil is running out. Fight all you want they can't lower it
Horseshit.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

for the love of god, this has been attempted almost every single summer! there is a big group on FB right now iwth almost half a million people in it.

GAS PRICES WILL NOT GO DOWN. The reason is that production levels are the same while the demand is increasing. It is not so much in Canada that its increasing, its more so in China and Russia. China went from 6 million cars to 24 million in a few years and they will only keep increasing. Our market will soon be overshadowed by their demand.

That means that you guys can protest all you want, it wont mean jack. Drive less, get different cars, or dont complain
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

I already started boycotting Petro and Esso.
Sunoco and Shell are my main choices now
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
these boycotts are useless. you will never be able to mobilize enough people to be noticed.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Spoose
5th Gear Member

I understand that the demand for oil is increasing and that is driving up the cost of gas. But what seems unfair is that Petro Canada - the worst performer among Canadian oil companies, their profits are up 82% in the first-quarter. Talk about gauging consumers. It's different if they weren't making money, but this is ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

I love it when doorknobs send me facebook invites to stupid groups like these...
ericdalinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

K before going too far down the path of righteousness, try to stop for a minute and consider what you're really doing. The reason prices go up is because demand increases and/or the supply decreases. It really is that simple... in general (although that Lib MP dude that is a gas price watchdog, says that they are being stupid at the moment, with demand not increasing and reserves going up, going to hurt themselves in the long run).

So by simply fueling up somewhere else, you are not changing anything. You are shifting, nothing more. Gas stations are individual businesses (in some cases private owners of a corp franchise, but many are outright private businesses). They buy their gas at wholesale from the company and sell to you at a microscopic markup. So if you stop filling up at Petro, their reserves will start growing a little. But at the same time, wherever you ARE filling up, will have their reserves go down. So what will happen? Petro will simply sell their excess to the companies who are experiencing a shortage. That's it.

The ONLY people you will hurt are the gas station owners.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
demand increases? supply decreases? no offense dimitry, but you can't just say that. prove it. gas has gone up like 200% in the last 5 years. You're telling me there's a twofold increase in consumption? bullshit. There IS a limited amount of gas left in the world. But definatly enough for the next 100 years. Russia has enough gas, on its own, that if they were to implement a better infrastructure, they could REPLACE OPEC.

there's no gas shortage. There WILL be, but there isn't.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
demand increases? supply decreases? no offense dimitry, but you can't just say that. prove it. gas has gone up like 200% in the last 5 years. You're telling me there's a twofold increase in consumption? bullshit. There IS a limited amount of gas left in the world. But definatly enough for the next 100 years. Russia has enough gas, on its own, that if they were to implement a better infrastructure, they could REPLACE OPEC.

there's no gas shortage. There WILL be, but there isn't.
I can't just say that? I have to prove things to you? It's bullshit? (oh and no offense right...) Kiss my ass.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
chucks
1st Gear Newbie

I'm all for doing something for a solution. Can't be worse than sitting on your ass doing nothing and seeing half your salary go to gas right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: