Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
EmmEff
1st Gear Newbie

Risk buying off-lease BMW from non-BMW dealer?

I notice in the Auto Trader there are a fair number of dealers selling off-lease Beamers for what appear to be (very) reasonable prices.

I am curious why these cars weren't certified as CPO'd and sold by BMW dealers? Is a case of too much stock or did these not meet the grade?

Aside from the obvious (high mileage, damage, etc), what is the risk buying a BMW from a third-party dealer that might still be under the 4/80 warranty but not CPO'd? Or should I just pay a bit more $$$ and get CPO?
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
CPO is nice, but people trade in leased cars at dealerships other than BMW for a number of reasons. If you're over mileage, bmw will probably tax you, others may not. Also, non-bmw dealers are generally more forgiving for scrapes and dings.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
EmmEff
1st Gear Newbie

There's a dealership at Kennedy & Steeles that has a bunch of BMWs with window tags in them that indicate they're purchased directly from BMW. Whether or not this is the truth, I don't know but they seem "official".

I am just afraid that I might end up with either a lemon or hidden problems...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Gamite

take the car to a dealer to get it checked out

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
where's this dealer exactly? is it on the north side of Steeles just east of Kennedy? I would stay away from those dealers.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
r240
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking about the one that has 3 M3s that have been sitting there for months? if it is, it is east of kennedy on the north side, just past the rail road tracks.
r240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Spoose
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I am curious why these cars weren't certified as CPO'd and sold by BMW dealers? Is a case of too much stock or did these not meet the grade?

Aside from the obvious (high mileage, damage, etc), what is the risk buying a BMW from a third-party dealer that might still be under the 4/80 warranty but not CPO'd? Or should I just pay a bit more $$$ and get CPO?
a lot of these cars are not bought by bmw dealers and CPO'd either because of cost to get them to pass CPO or inventory levels at dealers. also, bmw dealers can NOT CPO a vehicle that has been declared as an accident repair, either by the auction facility or by BMW FS. sometimes, independent dealers are willing to outbid bmw dealers on some units.

as prop'one said, it is nice to have a CPO'd unit, but not the end of the world. just make sure you know what you are buying and have an independent mechanic check it out. if the selling dealer is not willing to let your mechanic take a look at it, then there is a reason why. don't need to get it checked by a bmw dealer, but someone you trust.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
summit425
Alpine White

When I was in the market for a pre-owned car, an used car dealership said that their machanics are better than BMW machinics and bla bla bla so I don't need to take cars to the dealership for the inspection.

Do you think they will allow you to take their car to the dealership for the inspection?

Because a "car" has to leave their place and stored in the dealership a whole day and I don't think they will like that..

they might ask me to leave a deposit saying that if that car has no problem then I will take that car for sure things like this..

what do you think?
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
fourcylsgood
1st Gear Newbie

Have them draw up a conditional bill of sale with a deposit that is clearly marked fully refundable conditional on your mechanic's inspection, and take the car to have it inspected.
fourcylsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Basically, at lease end everyone returns their car to BMW Canada and they resell the good returns and put the others on the auction for these dealers to buy. Not saying these cars are bad in any way, but they are vehicles BMW doesn't feel worthy of putting money into
Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Quote:
also, bmw dealers can NOT CPO a vehicle that has been declared as an accident repair, either by the auction facility or by BMW FS.

Not true. I bought a 2000 328i from Maranello BMW in Woodbridge that was CPO-ed, only to later find out it had $32K worth of damage repairs. With the help of BMW Canada, I was able to return the car. Only took 4 month and a lot of running around though.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
EmmEff
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r240 View Post
Are you talking about the one that has 3 M3s that have been sitting there for months? if it is, it is east of kennedy on the north side, just past the rail road tracks.
That's the one...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
EmmEff
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
Basically, at lease end everyone returns their car to BMW Canada and they resell the good returns and put the others on the auction for these dealers to buy. Not saying these cars are bad in any way, but they are vehicles BMW doesn't feel worthy of putting money into
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at... if these cars aren't worth it for BMW to sell, what makes them not worth it?

I realize high mileage is probably one of the biggest factors and these cars are obvious. As an example, there is/was an '07 328i in the Trader for less than $30k (closer to $25k if I'm not mistaken). Great price... except it had 10xxxx km.

I guess the safest is to arrange a pre-purchase inspection for any car I am considering. Makes the deal a little more tougher to negotiate but less risky. I imagine some of these shadier dealers won't allow an unpaid for car to leave the lot for a few hours.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I guess the safest is to arrange a pre-purchase inspection for any car I am considering. Makes the deal a little more tougher to negotiate but less risky. I imagine some of these shadier dealers won't allow an unpaid for car to leave the lot for a few hours.
Exactly, if you get your personal mechanic to look it over first you'll be fine. And if the dealership isn't down with that, **** em and go somewhere else
Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Spoose
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Not true. I bought a 2000 328i from Maranello BMW in Woodbridge that was CPO-ed, only to later find out it had $32K worth of damage repairs. With the help of BMW Canada, I was able to return the car. Only took 4 month and a lot of running around though.
Let me rephrase that, they should not CPO accidented cars, but sometimes they squeeze by. I think I remember your case. The car was bought by Maranello, used as a demo/runner for about a year and then CPO'd and sold. BMW FS ended up selling the vehicle at auction on Maranello's behalf and ended up splitting the losses with them, total BS since there was other factor's involved.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: