Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyclxton View Post
you'd be an idiot to pay 15,000 -20,000 for that car, you can get a rolling shell for a 2grand i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a 18 year old M3 I dont know why people think they are gold, maybe when there is 1000 left in the world they'd be worth that much my dad's 1970 MACH1 is a special order and very few were made with this colour combination and motor set-up and he only piad 4500 for it and thats with the car full of parts 2 sets of craigers, 4 bucket seats 2 back seats 2 dash boards a fiber glass hood and a steel hood, fiber glass doors new full quaters new fenders.... the parts we got you couldn't get for 4500 bucks... you never know the situation that the seller is in, but I wouldn't buy a car with out taking a look over it first try and contact the seller and see where he's located and talk to him
bahaha, pretty brave statement even for someone who knows martial arts. the e330 m3 was an engineering breakthrough. ok hers something to think about, say ur friend gets kidnapped, u might pay 20 grand to get him back while i probably wouldnt care too much. Its all about what it means to u and obviously u dont care mainly because you dont appreciate it due to the lack of knoledge about this car.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
jello_g
4th Gear Member

The E30 M3 is worth what the market will bear. Thanks and have a nice day!

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
jello_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
the e330 m3 was an engineering breakthrough
What about it is an engineering breakthrough, exactly? Even for its time, it wasn't especially dominant. It had a helluva time with the AMG 190s and Cosworth Fords. The E36 mechanicals were far more of an engineering marvel but they were still hardly breakthroughs. The late 80's hondas had more advanced running gear and suspension than the E30 M3 (double wishbone and variable valve timing).

What makes the E30 great is that it's super light, rwd, independent suspension little bucket that's a huge pile of fun to drive. But the M3 doesn't offer anything terribly special over a stock E30, purely mechanically and performance speaking. There's an article out there comparing the 325i and the M3 and the testers actually preferred the flexibility of the i6, which while on paper lagging in power, pulled harder in most cases.

And like I said for the price of a mint Evo3 nowadays, you can get a used S2000 which is a better car in every way.

Again, I'm not questioning people's appreciation of this car. I'm a die-hard E34 M5 lover, even though the latest Camry would kill it in a race. I love the car for reasons no one who doesn't already understand, ever will. But let's not go crazy and call it any kind of miracle of engineering.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
SickFinga

This is faster around the track than E30 M3, and its has 40 hp less. E30 M3 is a nice looking car, but nothing special, GET OVER IT.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
What about it is an engineering breakthrough, exactly? Even for its time, it wasn't especially dominant. It had a helluva time with the AMG 190s and Cosworth Fords. The E36 mechanicals were far more of an engineering marvel but they were still hardly breakthroughs. The late 80's hondas had more advanced running gear and suspension than the E30 M3 (double wishbone and variable valve timing).

What makes the E30 great is that it's super light, rwd, independent suspension little bucket that's a huge pile of fun to drive. But the M3 doesn't offer anything terribly special over a stock E30, purely mechanically and performance speaking. There's an article out there comparing the 325i and the M3 and the testers actually preferred the flexibility of the i6, which while on paper lagging in power, pulled harder in most cases.

And like I said for the price of a mint Evo3 nowadays, you can get a used S2000 which is a better car in every way.

Again, I'm not questioning people's appreciation of this car. I'm a die-hard E34 M5 lover, even though the latest Camry would kill it in a race. I love the car for reasons no one who doesn't already understand, ever will. But let's not go crazy and call it any kind of miracle of engineering.
This man knows what he is talking about.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
This is faster around the track than E30 M3, and its has 40 hp less. E30 M3 is a nice looking car, but nothing special, GET OVER IT.

Wanna make a bet on this? Cause i have someone with an Evo sport that would have a different opinion.
PS his car is standard but in top condition.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post

First of all lets see in 20 years from now what the S2000 will be worth.
Secondly the E30 was a far superior car than the Merc 190 and the Cossies. It took Ford to get close to 600bhp to beat the 300bhp M3 on track and in some cases did not even manage it (apart from the fact the cossies were always breaking).
Also i bet the article you read was from a US magazine where folks no nothing about handling!
Thirdly the S14 engine was one of the first mass produced engines to offer close to 100bhp per liter (in 320iS form it made 196bhp from 2 lt).
Then you have the chassis which has almost nothing to do with the normal E30 and was developed for Motorsport and then for the public(and that says allot).
Then you have all the major racing drivers swearing by this car as the best RWD car ever.
Yes technology has moved on but considering you still see cars with 300K km on the clock and handle and go as they were new says alot.

And E36 mechanicals were nothing but a marvel. Even the Z3 used stuff from that era.
The crank on the BMW M3 was so stiff that it was able to run even at speeds of 10,000 rpm and more. Back then that was F1 territory and even today that is very impressive!

I challenge you to go out and find a car that
a) looks as good
b)goes and handles just as well
c)can take 4 with luggage(or even 5)
d)is just as reliable
e)has a similar heritage
f)in 20 years it will still be competitive.
g)and has a similar resale value

No disrespect but as it was said earlier if you dont know what it really is then dont try and put it down.

Lo they do call to me

Last edited by magnus; 04-29-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Wanna make a bet on this? Cause i have someone with an Evo sport that would have a different opinion.
PS his car is standard but in top condition.

Sport Evo would have a 90hp advantage, so I don't know how it would turn out. But regular M3 is slower.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Sport Evo would have a 90hp advantage, so I don't know how it would turn out. But regular M3 is slower.
Trust me its not! not around track and especialy against the CZT!

Lo they do call to me
Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Spartiatis
E30 M3 best Bmw ever hands down. Funny people talk with out ever driving one. I bet alot of you would change your mind with just one drive
Spartiatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #26
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Trust me its not! not around track and especialy against the CZT!
hmmm, Tiff Needell or magnus from maxbimmer, who should I trust.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....ction=Shootout
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
Lee
Original BMW Teile

This particular ad is obviously a scam. It is a UK spec M3. The owner states it is currently in the US. Yeah. Sure. That car cannot be imported into the US for another 4 or 5 years.

In regard of M3 prices, well, the e30 M3 is the only BMW that appreciates by 5% to 10% every year. It is highly collectible, and of a very historical significance. Not to mention that it is extremely fun to drive. Much more than any new M3...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
In regard of M3 prices, well, the e30 M3 is the only BMW that appreciates by 5% to 10% every year. It is highly collectible, and of a very historical significance. Not to mention that it is extremely fun to drive. Much more than any new M3...
M3 is NOT the only car that appreciates in value. M1, 3.0cs, 2002 Turbo, and a lot of other old ones.

Also M3 does not appreciate in value 5-10% every year, but their price is pretty steady for the last 5 years.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
hmmm, Tiff Needell or magnus from maxbimmer, who should I trust.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....ction=Shootout

Well if you do watch his show you will see that the e30 M3 he drove had 170.000miles on it. (we can try with a czt with 170 000miles and see)
He even admits it feels down on power. Look it up!
And i dont trust no1 as i have driven both cars and know which one is faster around a circuit. And i think you should do the same!

Lo they do call to me
Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #30
magnus
6th Gear Member

And here you go for proof!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-lEdbzmKxY
Watch what he says towards the end!

Lo they do call to me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: