Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Importing E38 740 - DRL Activation?

What's involved with activating the daytime running lights on a 2001 740i to meet canadian standards? I've heard two stories...

Version 1 states that the car is simply recoded by the dealer to have DRL activated. (I know this is possible, but is it "acceptable"?)

Version 2 states that the car requires additional "modules" installed so that the DRL cannot be deactivated even by recoding.

The service department at my dealer was significantly less than helpful, refusing to provide any information at all on which was required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rod

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
the dealer doesn't do the tests, canadian tire does. You can just use a relay to trigger the lowbeams to come on as soon as the car starts (use fuel pump fuse as trigger). Then as soon as it passes inspection, take the relay out.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Damn DRLs...get the fog light coded so that you can turn them on by themselves...and use that as your DRLs...just like Audi
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Unfortunately, with the "new" rules BMW has to provide you with the recall clearance letter for RIV. To provide that letter, they require that they inspect the car at a Canadian dealership to ensure that it meets Canadian standards - including the DRL.

Even if I do the DRL myself, it has to meet BMW Canada "standards" and they must inspect it to determine if it's done right at a cost to me of about $150. A temporarly relay solution would work however that likely isn't "bmw approved".

What a bunch of BS. Yes Canadian Tire still does the inspection, but it's on top of the BMW one.

Yet another cash grab from our friendly Canadian BMW dealers.

In any case... does anyone have an answer to the question orginally posed? What is involved to have BMW activate DRL to meet their Canadian standards?

R

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com

Last edited by talltorontoguy; 04-29-2008 at 11:07 AM.
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Someone told me that Cross Avenue Auto in Oakville deals with DRLs...you might wanna give them a call as see if they can do the job.
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

for the e38's the vehicle has to be programmed which acivates the DRL and changes IHKA and speedo to canadian specs. which as far as i know can only be done at the dealer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: