Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Raymond Au
1st Gear Newbie

carbon build in engine

Anybody heard of carbon build up in engine?
I have a 2009 335d with <7k. I love the car, it's powerful and save gas. But the dealership is saying I have carbon buildup in my engine. It'll cost >$2k to clean. I was so surprised and asked why this happened. The answer was may be I didn't drive the car enough. I find it hard to believe.

Raymond Au
Raymond Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
you can ususally clean out carbon buildup just by going out and beating on the car for a while. find some teenager who can drive and you trust and let them take the car out for an hour

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
gec
2nd Gear Member

That was gunna be my idea...works for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
you can ususally clean out carbon buildup just by going out and beating on the car for a while. find some teenager who can drive and you trust and let them take the car out for an hour
gec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Let me guess.... you're getting Check Engine Lights. Besides the carbon build up, the Urea Tank level sensor is messed up....
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

On a more serious note, bwm will do 1 of 2 things, clean via a kit or remove heads completely. For $2k not sure what they are doing, either over charging you for a clean with the kit or what because they would never remove the head and clean it for that price I bet.

We had a M5 in recently and they did the clean via the kit and charged him $1200, problem still existed so next step was heads off!

We also did a cleaning on a 645i. Carbon issue's are very common on the V8's, haven't seen a lot of it personally on the I6 but it is possible.

The best and only true way to clean a real carbon build up issue is head(s) off, period. No seafoam or angled brushes and cleaner will remove the hard spots and valves. The valve train is an issue that we are starting to see more of on the e90's followed by other associated issues that one should set aside $3k for to tackle when buying used should problem arise.

Bottom line, do it right or pay twice.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 02-18-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
jabela
4th Gear Member

Take your car to the track. My car always runs better after a track day

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
DET1990
2nd Gear Member

definitely needs to be taken for a cleansing rip to blast out the cob webs
DET1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

I had suspected carbon build up in the head on my E36 5 years ago and was told the only way to fix it was to to remove and clean. My alternate option was to install a used S50 for about the same price which is what I did I drove the car hard on a regular basis, so slow urban driving wasn't the issue. For your low mileage diesel, you really only have the cleaning option.

Carbon build up seems to be an issue with BMW engines. Esp. with the E39 M5 (one reason why I lusted but never bought one). The last time my E90 335i was in for service, the dealer recommended a cleaning service which was only a few hundred dollars. I didn't get it done, but after hearing this, I'm leaning towards getting it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
On a more serious note, bwm will do 1 of 2 things, clean via a kit or remove heads completely. For $2k not sure what they are doing, either over charging you for a clean with the kit or what because they would never remove the head and clean it for that price I bet.

We had a M5 in recently and they did the clean via the kit and charged him $1200, problem still existed so next step was heads off!

We also did a cleaning on a 645i. Carbon issue's are very common on the V8's, haven't seen a lot of it personally on the I6 but it is possible.

The best and only true way to clean a real carbon build up issue is head(s) off, period. No seafoam or angled brushes and cleaner will remove the hard spots and valves. The valve train is an issue that we are starting to see more of on the e90's followed by other associated issues that one should set aside $3k for to tackle when buying used should problem arise.

Bottom line, do it right or pay twice.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Au View Post
Anybody heard of carbon build up in engine?
I have a 2009 335d with <7k. I love the car, it's powerful and save gas. But the dealership is saying I have carbon buildup in my engine. It'll cost >$2k to clean. I was so surprised and asked why this happened. The answer was may be I didn't drive the car enough. I find it hard to believe.

Raymond Au
A 2009 diesel with 7k? You just simply bought the wrong car, so yes believe it that you didn't drive enough.

Diesel's are more efficient when they're up to operating temps, but they take (much) longer to get there.

Modern diesels during the warmup cycle use EGR and other technologies to curb emissions but in your case it sounds like you do small/short trips, that's bad enough on a gasoline engine but farrrr worse on a diesel motor.

So you probably have a large build up of soot in your intake and EGR valves.

There is more to just buying a car, you need to understand why the car you bought is a good fit for YOU and your driving habits.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

^ Soot isn't a big issue these days with ULSD, but the short trips never allow the motor to heat up properly to burn off the blowby. To put your application in perspective, the 2009 X5d in my family already has 120k on it....it does receive an italian tuneup daily though so no carbon issues. Urea tank heater though, that's another can of worms.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
Carbon build up seems to be an issue with BMW engines. Esp. with the E39 M5 (one reason why I lusted but never bought one). The last time my E90 335i was in for service, the dealer recommended a cleaning service which was only a few hundred dollars. I didn't get it done, but after hearing this, I'm leaning towards getting it done.
Carbon build up is even a bigger issue on the 335i due to direct injection.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
^ Soot isn't a big issue these days with ULSD, but the short trips never allow the motor to heat up properly to burn off the blowby. To put your application in perspective, the 2009 X5d in my family already has 120k on it....it does receive an italian tuneup daily though so no carbon issues. Urea tank heater though, that's another can of worms.
Soot is absolutely still an issue, not everyone uses good diesel fuel in their cars and ULSD isn't anywhere near the levels like specified in Europe.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Raymond Au
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks, dealership is willing to share the cost, so after cleaning, I have to start going on hwy more.
Raymond Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Carbon build up is even a bigger issue on the 335i due to direct injection.
Yea I was going to say, wait till you learn about walnut blasting and all that...

Hearing those stories makes me happy the S65 doesn't have DI, but then again it probably would be more fuel efficient and make more power if it did.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Raymond..... Is that 7,000 km or 70,000 km?
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: