Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingking View Post
Anyone know whether a 87 m20b5 ecu is compatible with the 85 m20b7?
both are the earlier of the E30's...

I don't see the reason as to why the rear diff would need to be replaced...

As Jesse mentioned, the ECU's are not compatible. If my memory serves me right, you have a 153? or something ecu, and you are looking for a 173 or equivalent.

As for the diff, the main reason is that the low gearing in the eta, (2.83 or 2.73 can't remember) will not be great with a m20b25, because the power bands are different, the torque is greater on the b27 to be able to use that long gearing, where as the b25 likes to get the revs up to make good power. It's not mandatory to swap the diff, but it might be a little doggy with gearing that long on a b25.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
As Jesse mentioned, the ECU's are not compatible. If my memory serves me right, you have a 153? or something ecu, and you are looking for a 173 or equivalent.

As for the diff, the main reason is that the low gearing in the eta, (2.83 or 2.73 can't remember) will not be great with a m20b25, because the power bands are different, the torque is greater on the b27 to be able to use that long gearing, where as the b25 likes to get the revs up to make good power. It's not mandatory to swap the diff, but it might be a little doggy with gearing that long on a b25.

ahhh okay...now I gotcha...

freg I keep forgetting about Autovation...good call-
Wingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

http://autovation.ca/ is the way to go!
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

The eta has a 027 ECU, you need either 153 or 173. I have a 153 for sale cheap. But I would chip the eta and run with it first. I have one for sale too, but I'm not just saying it to sell it, I really think its a wicked motor to chip.. huge gains!

It is really a considerable expense to swap to the i motor.. Before I did that, I would get all the suspension / body done first, throw in a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end and chip the Eta.

+ 24 hp
+ 28 ft/#

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=027-000
Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^I guess I was way off on the eta ECU..lol My 88 had a 154 originally so for some reason I thought the earlier ones had a 153.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
everlast

Lol.. that's cuz you had that weird-ass superEta motor.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
The eta has a 027 ECU, you need either 153 or 173. I have a 153 for sale cheap. But I would chip the eta and run with it first. I have one for sale too, but I'm not just saying it to sell it, I really think its a wicked motor to chip.. huge gains!

It is really a considerable expense to swap to the i motor.. Before I did that, I would get all the suspension / body done first, throw in a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end and chip the Eta.

+ 24 hp
+ 28 ft/#

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=027-000

definately have thought of chipping and hanging onto the ETA engine as long as possible, yet at 340km's (rebuild head)...it's getting rather tired (very loud valvetrain...unknown bottom end condition)

Car is heading for rear subframe bushings, and suspension (h&r/bils) mid next week, followed by body/paint work early May...by than, I'm really hopping to get the engine/tranny/diff etcetc etc done.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingking View Post
definately have thought of chipping and hanging onto the ETA engine as long as possible, yet at 340km's (rebuild head)...it's getting rather tired (very loud valvetrain...unknown bottom end condition)

Car is heading for rear subframe bushings, and suspension (h&r/bils) mid next week, followed by body/paint work early May...by than, I'm really hopping to get the engine/tranny/diff etcetc etc done.
Have you done a thorough inspection of the eta motor? Do a compression test? , Does it use lots of oil? 340km's isn't unheard of for an eta. I'm sure it will last much longer than that providing it was well cared for.

The loud valvetrain could be as simple as a valve adjustment. Not to mention m20 valvetrains are pretty noisy to begin with anyway.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #24
everlast

^^ Yep what he said. My eta has 330K went I got rid of it as the body was shot. The motor was perfect, still getting good mileage even and was ripped apart to use the bottom end for a FI project.

Just out of curiosity, is it a manual or auto?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #25
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

it's a 5spd manual-
the engine barely burns , if any oil.

I've been diligent on checking the levels-

I haven't had the chance to do a comp. test...if I can manage the time, I'll get some #'s tomorrow...if comp. is good, I'll go from there and see what the clackety racket is happening in the valvetrain...if it's just the matter of a valve adjustment..than
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #26
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post

Best advice ever I swapped to a b25 from a b27 and now all I have is a b25 that runs like shit with bad suspension and rust. Mind you my b27 was completely dead so I didn't have much choice.
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #27
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
the noise went away on it's own Phil?
I think so. I'll have to check again -- I can't hear it from the drivers' seat with the window open, FWIW. At least not over the bad throwout bearing.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #28
chromius
6th Gear Member

Let's hope it's gone. I love problems that fix themselves
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #29
Lee in Ottawa
5th Gear Member

why not go see Kerry Burk in buckingham, probably your best bet, knows e30's like the back of his hands.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #30
AWD_Guy
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Ottawa View Post
why not go see Kerry Burk in buckingham, probably your best bet, knows e30's like the back of his hands.
hmmm...i need a good e30 mechanic on my side...

Could you give me his details? He's right across the river for me, so not far at all, a short ferry ride and im there!
AWD_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: