Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Schwarz_325i
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Schwarz_325i
Question About auto/5-speed conversion

Hi everyone,

I recently got out my bimmer after the wonderful winter that we had here in the Montreal area. More than 400 cm of snow. Anw, this not the main topic.

I have a 1991 325i with 247 000km, runs perfect. The hic is that it's auto. I must say that the tranny is going well and that you can still have fun while playing with it throught gears. But, I'm asking myself about a conversion to a 5 speed manual, missing it and especially on a bimmer, you cannot go wrong.

What are the procedures? Is there something to look for after since it is an auto car? What are the prices? Is it worth to do it now or not? If so, any places in Montreal who are doing the job?

Thanks!

Mods:
MarkD chip
aFe filter
e36 M3 bushings
Schwarz_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

its definitley a do it yourself'er, from what i hear.

you just need the manual ECU, clutch flywheel p.plate pedals all the manual shebang.
and the drive shaft too i think.

and of course its worth doing...

...that is all...
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Conversion.

Manual ecu? no such thing.

Did mine about 3 years ago now, Best thing since fried rice.

First get the pedals, master & slave cylinders, shift linkage, tranny and driveshaft from a manual donor car. Expect to pay anywhere up to 500$ for all that used.

I'd order a new clutch kit, rear engine seal, and basically all the shift bushings, spacers, and mounts that you can. If you're keeping the engine in the car while you're doing this it's easiest to do on a lift. Unbolt the auto mounts and let the engine and tranny hang down this will give you some form of access to all the bolts that mate the tranny/engine. Aside from that you'll need to get those 2 starter bolts off... (getting them on is more fun). You'll need 2 sizes of female torx sockets to get this stuff off.

Aside from all that, the crappy part will be the exhaust, have all new hangers and bolts. I seriously just cut mine off and put new bolts everywhere... saves hours.

You'll need a clutch alignment tool or the spline end off another transmission, to line the clutch disk before tightening and mating to the engine. You'll also need to bypass the park safety switch with another wire that's easily found in the shifter area... I think it's blue and white.

For parts, not sure in Montreal... but Ottawa has Duss Brothers. And Alymer Que. has Peices d'euro. or something like that.

In total it cost me about 1400, I rented a lift for 2 nights, 75$. Not bad considering most shops wanted about 1500$ to throw in a used automatic.

Good luck and if you really want it, buy the parts in managable chunks, makes it easier to afford.

Later.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
lumlumty
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Schwarz check this out someone is selling the conversion items in the for sale section

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103984
lumlumty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Schwarz_325i
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Schwarz_325i
What about places to do the conversion? I'm willing to do the run. *Reasonable.

How much could cost such conversion.

Mods:
MarkD chip
aFe filter
e36 M3 bushings
Schwarz_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Luke318is
BMW Fanatic

I got mine done for $1500 labour. But that shop charges $60, and im pretty good friends with them.

Anyways, search under my name, i asked a lot of questions about it on this board, and theres a list of parts needed.

And dont get a used clutch!
1990 ///325i -Imported Mtech2 model, purchased May 28
Luke318is is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: