Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

4 channel amp ... settings ?

i have a V12 Alpine amp (MRV-F250 model) and was going to tackle the install myself. i've never done this before and notice it has all these settings and dials on one side ...

i'm hooking it up to my sony deck (MEX-5DI) and don't know what i should have the amp settings set at so i don't blow or mess up anything.

if anyone here is familiar with amps and how they should be set at please lend your input so i can be comfortable doing this. i would elect to have a stereo shop do it for me, but it's a straight forward thing to run the wires and what not so don't feel it really warrants having someone do what i can already do myself .... i just need help with the amp.

here are the switch/dial settings on the amp :

input mode : 1 ST 1+2
filter: off HP LP
crossover: 50 - 200 (it's a dial that goes from 50 to 200)
gain: min - nom. - 0.5v - max
input mode: 3 ST 3+4
filter: off HP LP
crossover: 50 - 200 (another dial that goes from 50 to 200)
gain: min - nom. - 0.5v - max

input channel: 1/2 3/4 (1+3 2+4) <-- the last one there is just one choice

the way this setup works is that my sony deck doesn't have a built in amp to power the speakers, so i have to have an external one (hence the alpine amp) so i have to run the amp to the deck and then i would run the speakers off the amp ?? or straight off the deck ?? ... (that one is a simple one to figure out, if it doesn't work off the deck then switch to the amp)

it's the settings i don't get .... umm i don't have a crossover as i was told i would only need that if i was adding a subwoofer to my setup, which i will add later on. right now i can make due with just the factory speakers just so i have sound and can listen to cd's (the car has a factory tape deck).

thanks !
wraith318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
e24_635csi
still wants a turbo...

If the amp came with a owners manual they usually give an outline of what all the switches and dials are for, and where to set them.

I went on the alpine site and if you go under amps you can download the owners manuals for the amps, i couldnt find yours there but maybe it can help.

When i was installing my amps, i emailed JL audio with my set up, and they sent back a picture of how the amp should be set up. I know youur using alpine, but maybe alpine will help you out.

Matt

e24 635csi -e28 528e/m30b34 - e28 M5 - e34 M5 - e46 330xi M
e24_635csi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

i have the pdf version of the manuals for everything .... i will take a look and see if it gives guidelines as to what i should have everything set at for a basic (non-subwoofer) install.

one person at the audio/visual shop said if i still have the factory speakers in don't expect them to sound good nor last more than a week if i'm going through the amp. that's expected, but i'm not going to be cranking it to high volumes ...

will source out some nice speakers later this summer. i just want the ability to listen to my mix cd's and not always the radio. it's wearing on me .....
Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
elroy
2nd Gear Member

yea the stocks wont last long if you amp the signal. They'll blow soon enough or start popping very quickly.

the pdf manual will have what the settings are for. If anything take it after your install to a local shop and get them to tune it or find a friend whose good with audio and get him to tune it. Thats what i did.
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

stock speakers

there is really no point to upgrade ths system and keep the stock speakers in a bimmer, unless its a newer one but it doesnt sound like it.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

i see your point, but right now the car is taken apart so i can clean it up and remove what i don't want. so while it's like that i would like to run the wires and get that out of the way.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Knox View Post
there is really no point to upgrade ths system and keep the stock speakers in a bimmer, unless its a newer one but it doesnt sound like it.
Kinda agree, my 94 E36 has stock speakers all the way around, including my mids and tweets. Running a Jl 500/1 amp with a RBC and 2 10" subs and it sounds good in my opinion. I know it would sound 100X better if I upgraded my mids and tweets but it's good enough for now.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

i was just reading the pdf i have on my amp and it's only 25 watts per channel .... so it's not that powerful of an amp. i can boost the wattage if i choose to only go 2 channels. but then i would have to get another amp to make up the difference. so i think i might be good with the factory speakers and not end up blowing them. and if i did .. really i wouldn't care. i'm gonna be putting in better ones at some point.

i just noticed i screwed up .... when i bought the amp i also bought the hook up kit and read that the kit is for a 2 channel amp and not 4 like i need ... well ain't that just awesome.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Wow I just looked up the specs on your deck and honestly I think that's the first time I see a radio without a built in amp. So basically the amp is for your speakers and no subs? What about using your BMW amp to power your deck, is that a possibility?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

my car doesn't have the HK setup .... just basic stuff. i have the mids and tweets in the doors, the speaker by the kickplate and the rears in the back windows. i think i might lose the mids and tweets when i do this hookup unless i can figure out the harness wiring to get them working.

i just got a harness from the wreckers that was used for a pioneer deck. so i will have to cut off the pioneer connector and then solder on the connections to my sony harness and cross my fingers that it works. if not then it's just the two main speakers in the front and rear run off the amp. the good thing about this i find, is that the battery is located in the trunk so i won't have as many wires being run from the front as i thought. and no drilling to hook up the power to the battery through the firewall.

i'm new to the whole amp stuff ... before i had the audi (had a kenwood already in it) i had a domestic car and just did the typical deck hook up only.

if anyone has some suggestions for my install please let it be known. i always appreciate the help you guys give ...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

For your amp, I don't have the HK setup either, but if you look behind your C-Pillers one side will have the antenna booster, and the other should have a factory amp..

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

i have no clue what C pillars are .... well i know what they are but don't know what the C one would be. the haynes manual was showing the antenna booster on the back window pillar on the passenger side i believe. i don't know how i would wire the bmw amp into my deck though ... sounds like extra wire ran and more time tearing things out to run it. i would be better off tapping into the harness and seeing if i get lucky with the mids and tweets. so far it looks like i only have to run the inputs to the amp from the deck, since the battery is in the trunk the power and ground will be right there as well.

i just got to figure out this aftermarket harness and figure out which wires are the constant power and speakers .... i don't need the illumination since the screen is powered off the main line. the yellow lead on my deck is for constant so i'm thinking i just match it up with the yellow on the harness.

trying to track down the company that made the aftermarket harness so i can get the diagram of the wires.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith318 View Post
the haynes manual was showing the antenna booster on the back window pillar on the passenger side i believe.
That's your C-Pillar, behind the other one should be your amp.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

nascar318is, did you do the hook up with the bmw amp or used an aftermarket one ?. if you used the bmw one do you know the wiring details at the harness ? i think i could just use that in the meantime and then if i can figure out the speaker wires then i'm set.

one question i have though ... the wires coming off the sony only have 4 speaker wires (2 fronts, 2 rear) so is it safe to put the mids and tweets on the same line for the fronts without it overloading anything ?

since i have the ground,power and constant figured out i guess i can't hurt anything really by touching the speaker wires together... they would either work or not work.

trial and error ...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

The way I helped Identify my wires, was by using a 9v battery, hook up a wire to it and you will hear a hum in one of the speakers, then you know that wire goes to that speaker, and the ground or positive wire is usually the same colour but with a stripe in it. I have a sony deck and bought a $12 harness too hook up from the Stock harness to the sony, plug and pray type deal. As for my amp, I left it hooked to my deck to help my mids and tweets and speakers. For my subs I ran my rca cables to the trunk to my amp.

As for the mids and tweets in your situation.. I don't think it will go over board, but you never know. Seeing it will be the amp powering the deck, then the amp fuses would blow(should) before anything else.

But like I mentioned before, after you install the harness from the stock to the sony and you do have a bmw amp, then it will work or should at least.

So start by installing the harness and see if you have sound, and then work on the Alpine amp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: