Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
johncrep
1st Gear Newbie

Buying an E46

Well I've reading many threads about the E46 and even the wiki page and I have most of questions answered but I had one that I couldnt find. As well Im looking for some input on two different models. First off I have a 1997 328is and looking to buy a 325ci 04 (Cabriolet) or a 330ci 04 (coupe) . And Im wondering how are convertibles in the winter ? Is there cracking in the top, or anything else I would need to know ? I do know that the Cabriolet would be a bit heavier since the extra support that is require.

Any input guys would be great !!!
johncrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
jsonli
1st Gear Newbie

You mentioned you knew already but yeah the 325cic will probably be a bit sluggish. You getting the manual?
jsonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
johncrep
1st Gear Newbie

Yeh, manual is the only way i would drive a BMW. I know the 04 330's come with a 6spd gear box vs the 5spd gear box in 325. A convertible would be soo nice but I would be losing quite a bit of performance wouldnt I (not only the performance difference in the two models)?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrep View Post
Yeh, manual is the only way i would drive a BMW. I know the 04 330's come with a 6spd gear box vs the 5spd gear box in 325. A convertible would be soo nice but I would be losing quite a bit of performance wouldnt I (not only the performance difference in the two models)?
^^ yes you would be losing even more performance because the cabby is heavier. The handling on the coupe would also be better because of the structural rigidity. If you really really love convertibles get the convertible otherwise I would recommend the 330ci. You also have to take into consideration that you might feel a slight drop in power going from 328is to a 325. This was my main deciding factor when I decided to sell my 328is and get 330ci.

.... the final option would be a decent 2003 M3 for a bit more cash , just throwing it out there ...
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

Get the 325i Cabio or an 02-03 M3, If you get the 330 you will just kick yourself for not getting an M3. But if you have the convertible, you'll be happy driving with the top dow even with less power.

Last edited by Sneaky; 04-09-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
johncrep
1st Gear Newbie

Your right, moving down to the 325ci would not only be a downgrade but the cic wouldnt have that kick anymore. I've been looking for an M3 but hows the build quality for it since its using sportier parts? This would be an every day car and would hate to drive it in the winter. Im quite conflicted now, I believe Im completely out of the cic train now , the M3 is looking good but its also a bit more, and not only to mention the insurance.

Hmm yeh, I would be kicking myself, I just left a msg with my insurance agent to see if the price is that much different per year to get an M3.

Last edited by johncrep; 04-09-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
jsonli
1st Gear Newbie

maintenance is more with the M as well.
yeah i would not recommend a 325cic. a 330cic probably is as fast as a 325ci.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Do the miliseconds in numbers really matter that much? I'd take the cabrio, 330 will be a bit quicker but if you want performance get an older M3 (but your maintenance will be much higher) but you can't go wrong with a drop top
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
I'd go with the 330ci...

You should testdrive both though, 325ci and 330ci so you can feel the difference.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
jsonli
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
Do the miliseconds in numbers really matter that much? I'd take the cabrio, 330 will be a bit quicker but if you want performance get an older M3 (but your maintenance will be much higher) but you can't go wrong with a drop top
milliseconds? the 325cic probably does 0-60 in 8 seconds. same as a mazda3. the 330 can do it in low 6s.

test drive both and you'll definitely feel the difference.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
johncrep
1st Gear Newbie

Yeh got the quotes back from my insurance company and its quite more per year for the M3 and I can see the maintance adding up. The 325cic I believe is out of the question and Im pretty much sold on the 330ci since I really dont want to lose any performance moving from my 328is. Now I just have to find a half decent one around here.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
johncrep
1st Gear Newbie

Got a question, with the convertible would I need to buy a hard top or can you get away with the cloth in the winter ? Just wondering how it would hold up, been trying to google this but not finding any answers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: