Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #31
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
1. If you can't afford the Konis, don't bother with GCs.
2. There is huge difference between Bilsteins and Konis, especially with a car slammed on GCs. Bilsteins make the ride completely unbearable, they are just too long.
3. 300lb/in front is way too soft, you'll be bottoming out every 30 seconds. 375lb/in minimum.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #32
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,481
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
1. If you can't afford the Konis, don't bother with GCs.
2. There is huge difference between Bilsteins and Konis, especially with a car slammed on GCs. Bilsteins make the ride completely unbearable, they are just too long.
3. 300lb/in front is way too soft, you'll be bottoming out every 30 seconds. 375lb/in minimum.
I don't agree. Remember I was on the IEs which, up front, has a progressive rate of 315lb/in, which ultimately start off softer than linear ERS Eibach springs. Konis seem pretty soft under compression, dunno if that was possibly related to your bottoming out issue. Have you seen the rod length for the Konis? I'm curious to see how much shorter (if any) they are compared to regular Bilstein Sports.
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #33
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I don't agree. Remember I was on the IEs which, up front, has a progressive rate of 315lb/in, which ultimately start off softer than linear ERS Eibach springs. Konis seem pretty soft under compression, dunno if that was possibly related to your bottoming out issue. Have you seen the rod length for the Konis? I'm curious to see how much shorter (if any) they are compared to regular Bilstein Sports.
Fact is, I'm the only member here who had 300lb/in GC ERS springs on my car, and for like 2 years to boot. Not nearly enough tension to keep the car off the bumpstops (even with Konis and more fender gap than your IEs). I moved to 375lb/in and I'd call that the minimum for the front of an M20 (or heavier) E30.

I used to have a diagram comparing the E30 Konis and Bilsteins physically, but I have no idea where it went. The Konis had a lot more travel though.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,481
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Fact is, I'm the only member here who had 300lb/in GC ERS springs on my car, and for like 2 years to boot. Not nearly enough tension to keep the car off the bumpstops (even with Konis and more fender gap than your IEs). I moved to 375lb/in and I'd call that the minimum for the front of an M20 (or heavier) E30.

I used to have a diagram comparing the E30 Konis and Bilsteins physically, but I have no idea where it went. The Konis had a lot more travel though.
Good. Hurry up and find that diagram.

I'm still not sold with your argument however. At one point my car with the stickish RT615s at one of the later AutoXs, with the super low Eibach IEs, AND suspension-travel robbing drophats, AND no front sway bar and it never bottomed out. So in theory, I should have bottomed out a long time ago huh? So for sake of argument, I'm sure the Bilsteins+~300lb/in linear springs are up to the OPs driving dutys.
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #35
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Good. Hurry up and find that diagram.

I'm still not sold with your argument however. At one point my car with the stickish RT615s at one of the later AutoXs, with the super low Eibach IEs, AND suspension-travel robbing drophats, AND no front sway bar and it never bottomed out. So in theory, I should have bottomed out a long time ago huh? So for sake of argument, I'm sure the Bilsteins+~300lb/in linear springs are up to the OPs driving dutys.
I'd rather go by the experiences of the dozens of people I've seen online with actual GCs and Bilsteins that complain about the travel and subsequently move to Konis (and don't complain again). That you choose to base your theory on a completely different spring setup is up to you, but I'll reserve my judgement.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #36
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,481
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
I'd rather go by the experiences of the dozens of people I've seen online with actual GCs and Bilsteins that complain about the travel and subsequently move to Konis (and don't complain again). That you choose to base your theory on a completely different spring setup is up to you, but I'll reserve my judgement.
Hahaahhahaaa... Judge all you want, I'll still kick your ass at AutoX with whatever setup I'm runnin'

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating, you say the Bilsteins bottom out a lot, and I disagree. And I just added, that IMO 300lb/in springs should be enough to tame a street driven e30. But you disagree. I guess we can leave that up to the OP.

/thread
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #37
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
Hahahahahahaahahahahahha. hahahahahahaahah. ha.

/thread indeed
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #38
andicanada
4th Gear Member
 
andicanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Berlin Germany
Posts: 660
Send a message via MSN to andicanada
i think what you guys need is a suspension what is manufactured to fit each other springs to shocks .
Even if you buy, like Koni and spend a lot of money on them and you putting H&R springs on them they do not give you the peformence what you should get for that ammount of money!!

I would look for a company what is manufacturing bothe, springs and shocks because they do ther testing with both items combind and not seperat like Koni does it or H&R
the next thing is theys suspension Set's are Set's with the mening that they do work well together and you will even safe money buying them as a set

Think about that !
andicanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #39
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig
 
e30_kid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TDot West End
Posts: 4,589
Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by andicanada View Post
i think what you guys need is a suspension what is manufactured to fit each other springs to shocks .
Even if you buy, like Koni and spend a lot of money on them and you putting H&R springs on them they do not give you the peformence what you should get for that ammount of money!!

I would look for a company what is manufacturing bothe, springs and shocks because they do ther testing with both items combind and not seperat like Koni does it or H&R
the next thing is theys suspension Set's are Set's with the mening that they do work well together and you will even safe money buying them as a set

Think about that !
Shhhh.....The suspension experts are talking, and i wanna take notes!
__________________
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #40
hadesm5
6th Gear Member
 
hadesm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,798
^^^^ LOL same here... hehe
__________________
hadesm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #41
Nesh
Ridin Dirty'
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: GTA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
Maybe mine have sagged, but if i drive into my driveway to fast i will smoke my bumper and hit my oil pan no problem, and its not a very steap driveway

heres a pic of the incline


I guess it depends on the driver, but i wouldnt want to be much lower, if i had coilovers maybe, bacause it could always go back up

Steve

what kind of bumper is that?
Nesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #42
hadesm5
6th Gear Member
 
hadesm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,798
^mtechII
__________________
hadesm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #43
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig
 
e30_kid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TDot West End
Posts: 4,589
Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Holy random question batman!
__________________
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #44
slimjim
Almost Sideways
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 1,876
what you guys think of KYB shocks?
__________________
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #45
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig
 
e30_kid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TDot West End
Posts: 4,589
Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
^^^They're shiat, but it depends what you're gonna be pairing up the shocks with. Save your money for something better.
__________________
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.