Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
c900t16
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 68
2002 330ci

alright,

im looking at buying this 2002 330ci. Ive tried searching for a FAQ or a sticky about common problems with e46's, but i can't find any. Anyone got a link?

but from my own research, these cars are pretty sold. The only problems they seem to have relate to window switches?

are there any other problems with the engine or anything i should watch for if i buy this car? its a 5spd obv. and it has some mods, but nothing crazy. mostly cosmetics and springs.

any words of wisdom?!

thanks
c900t16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
VSanj
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bramladesh!!
Posts: 4,364
^^my cousin has one around the same year. He has 150K with absolutly zero mechinical problems......none whatsoever!!!

The only thing that went wrong with his car was the rubber gasket around the windows starting coming loose last year.........he replaced it. also windows stopped working once he got it fixed.

other than that he says the car runs like the day he picked it up from teh showroom
__________________
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/11/vsanjsigdw5.jpg
VSanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waterloo/Mississauga
Posts: 1,405
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but there are PLENTY of issues with the 02 330ci here's a few:

Rear Subframes tear out $1500 or so for a re-weld http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=Subframe
Front Subframes tear out $1500 or so for a re-weld
Vanos solenoid/seal Failures $1000 including labor/no proven fix!http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=Vanos
Blower motors (like very BMW) $600 incl labor
Window regulators a few times/year $300+ each time
Premature Waterpump Failures-Potentially Catastrophic to engine.(potentially thousands)
Crankcase Vent failures in winter which cause drop in oil pressure flooding the exhaust system with oil, cost over $1000 each time it happens http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=Oil+Seperator
Premature Contol arm/bushings failures (some fail under 30K and every 30K thereafter) costs areound $1000 each time.

There's easily half a dozen more catastrophic failures. There are exceptions (Vsanj's brother is one of the few) Don't believe the marketing hype/other owners, these are very problematic cars, that cost a shit load of cash to keep on the road!

Didn't mean to rain on your parade bro.
__________________

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.

Last edited by Mikeee46coup; 03-29-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member
 
StikiGreenZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milton, ON
Posts: 1,604
Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... Window regulators a few times a year?

You might have one or 2 of those failures in the life of your 02 330ci.
__________________
-

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waterloo/Mississauga
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... Window regulators a few times a year?

You might have one or 2 of those failures in the life of your 02 330ci.
True, I should have been more clear, typically the driverside will fail more often than the passenger, the worst i've heard of was 2 in one year (same side) both repalced by BMW dealership.
__________________

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
c900t16
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 68
well, i guess ill look elsewhere for another one! that''s sketchy!! thanks for the info though!
c900t16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeee46coup View Post
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but there are PLENTY of issues with the 02 330ci here's a few:

Rear Subframes tear out $1500 or so for a re-weld http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=Subframe
Front Subframes tear out $1500 or so for a re-weld
Vanos solenoid/seal Failures $1000 including labor/no proven fix!http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=Vanos
Blower motors (like very BMW) $600 incl labor
Window regulators a few times/year $300+ each time
Premature Waterpump Failures-Potentially Catastrophic to engine.(potentially thousands)
Crankcase Vent failures in winter which cause drop in oil pressure flooding the exhaust system with oil, cost over $1000 each time it happens http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=Oil+Seperator
Premature Contol arm/bushings failures (some fail under 30K and every 30K thereafter) costs areound $1000 each time.

There's easily half a dozen more catastrophic failures. There are exceptions (Vsanj's brother is one of the few) Don't believe the marketing hype/other owners, these are very problematic cars, that cost a shit load of cash to keep on the road!

Didn't mean to rain on your parade bro.
Yes, BMW do have reliability issues. If you buy the car new, you'll see how much time you spend at the dealership. No amount of preventive maintenance will help you with design flaws.

Watch for known issues.

- Front Control Arms

- Vanos. I can't believe BMW is still having these issues.

- Window Regulators

- Master Cylinder

- Some 330's consume a lot of oil, even at lower mileage

- Stay away from Automatics

- Check the manual transmission. Make sure 2nd and 3rd gears are easy to get into.

- Alternator

- 02 Censors go pretty frequent, so make sure the car is Drive Clean recently. I wouldn't except anything dated less than 2-4 weeks from bill of sale.

- e46 do have rust problems under the hood.

Less Common:

- Leaking Steering Rack at an early age (@ 50K mark)

- Clutch Bearings (@ 40-60K mark). You should feel no vibration when you engage the clutch while driving.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by c900t16 View Post
well, i guess ill look elsewhere for another one! that''s sketchy!! thanks for the info though!
p.s. thanks for the car, bro.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King
 
JNSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 900
I have a 2002 330ci and nothing blew up yet, but it seams that all hell will break loose soon, well at least accroding to this thread.

Seriously though, the car is great overall and the only thing that I'm weary about is the Crankcase Vent failures because I don't drive too far. If you take care of the car, it will take care of you. I'll probably keep it longterm and supercharge it.

my $0.02
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waterloo/Mississauga
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSchnitzer View Post
I don't drive too far
^With all due respect bro, that's why "hell hasn't brokenloose yet"
__________________

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King
 
JNSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 900
oh don't get me wrong, I drive the car, I've put more than 18,000Kms in the past year (at 100,000kms now), but it's the short distances to work during winter time that worry me. Anyways, I'm the type of person that tries to do the preventative maintenance, I've already changed my crankcase and waterpump although I didn't have problems. Like I said, no problems yet and the car drives like a dream.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Hamann330ci
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 107
I have 420hp running through it and I have never changed any motor parts

Other then control arm and brakes and small small stuff.

like any car you will have something, dosn't mean that its not a good car just needs a little taking care off.
__________________
330ci SOLD
T.B.A .....
Hamann330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014