Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #61
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Nice tone! balls to the wall! shoveling snow likes it's your job!! ... jason you are so right about body work lol... I sanded and painted till I could no longer see from the dust & fumes, but it still looks like shit, but atleast the rust is cut out.. not sure what I'm going to do ... maybe time to talk to a pro
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #62
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Grrr. I think I might need a new battery, I've had the charger on all night, car won't even turnover this morning. Registers 4 volts....I'll check the water levels when Iget home but I'm not expecting much.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #63
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^^Engine seized from not being used all winter. J/K
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #64
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Grrr. I think I might need a new battery, I've had the charger on all night, car won't even turnover this morning. Registers 4 volts....I'll check the water levels when Iget home but I'm not expecting much.
UH OH!

lol you guys will have a good laugh when you see my handy body work...I should never touch paint and bondo again
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #65
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

But you will.. the allure of cheap bodywork will keep you coming back! Any each time it will get a little better. Now when I do bodywork it only looks like partial ass.

CarJoe, if your battery froze and warped the plates, some will short out completely and the remaining good chambers will generate voltage, which is how you're likely seeing 4V. You will almost certainly need a new battery. Sry!

Consider a Battery Tender for it next year to keep it 100%. They're about $40 and even come with a harness to wire right into the car. You can get them at any motorcycle shop.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #66
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Effing batteries...I think the truck needs a batt next year too. This is disappointing, I remember my dad storing his car outside, never did a thing to it. Come summer, he'd check the tire pressure, change the oil and go...

Think a trickle charger would do the same thing as the battrey tender?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #67
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Think a trickle charger would do the same thing as the battrey tender?
As long as it has an auto shutoff it will work no problem.

My experience has always been once a lead acid battery drains to 0 it will die shortly after and/or might not take another charge. It has to do with the charge in some of the plates actually changing polarity or something like that when the battery completely dies...can't remember exactly.

Edit: google'd...I was kinda close.

"The quickest way to ruin lead-acid batteries is to discharge them deeply and leave them stand "dead" for an extended period of time. When they discharge, there is a chemical change in the positive plates of the battery. They change from lead oxide when charged to lead sulfate when discharged. If they remain in the lead sulfate state for a few days, some part of the plate does not return to lead oxide when the battery is recharged. If the battery remains discharged longer, a greater amount of the positive plate will remain lead sulfate. The parts of the plates that become "sulfated" no longer store energy. Batteries that are deeply discharged, and then charged partially on a regular basis can fail in less than one year."

Last edited by chromius; 04-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #68
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Are you comin' on to me??

Sorry, bud, I don't swing that way.
Al you've crushed my dreams
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #69
everlast

Trickle charger is still a 'dumb device' which just puts in a little current at a static voltage. A battery tender, or any other smart device, monitors the voltage of the battery and adjusts its current to suit. Once the battery hits 13.7V, it reduces the current to nil, until the voltage drops below, then hits it again at a small amperage until it gets to 13.7 again. Once this cycle has occurred a few times, it will determine how much current it will need to keep it at 13.7 constantly.

A BMW bike owner in ottawa had a bike in a barn for 8 years on a battery tender while he was in EU and the battery was in perfect condition.

Some say that a charger like this will de-sulfate a battery too, but I've tried a few times on old batteries and its never worked. It shouldn't, unless I misunderstand the chemical principles of it.

Seriously, once you have one of those, you may NEVER have to replace your battery again, ever.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #70
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
discharge period . When they discharge,
LOL you said Discharge! I knew a girl like that once too, she should have opened a bakery with all that discharge Would have been a Zazillionaire 2 times over

Joe your batt is fubared, even if it was in the car and didn't last the winter, she probablly wouldn't have had much longer to go..

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #71
everlast

Tony, you're so classy.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #72
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

No wonder I had a smile all the way too and back from bav auto show lol tony you need to start doing stand up
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #73
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Tony, you're so classy.
Lord, I apologize . . . and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea amen.

Barrie... umm no

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #74
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Classy...

There may be hope yet. I've got 8 volts tonight...

I'm getting desperate, I went to Crappy tire to see if they had anything, as it turns out. Nada. No batteries listed for a 93 325is. Blessing in disguise I think.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #75
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Well She's out and Alivvveeee and parked in the driveway.. Now I just need to replace my control arm and an alignment and she's good to go

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: