Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Jacko
2nd Gear Member

Upgrading to 3.38 diff from 3.23 diff

I currently have a 3.23 diff on my car. I m thinking about upgrading to 3.38, is it worth it and how much do these diff usually go for????
I saw some selling before for around 700-800.
Does anyone have one their car????
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I just sold one for $800. They can go for a little less, or a little more, depending on condition and mileage.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I've have one in my car now for a couple years, I love it.
I paid $600US for it.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

I guess I should mention the one I sold was my spare. There's NO way I'd give up the one in my car. Like Nelson said.... I love it.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Jacko
2nd Gear Member

What did you have before. I m just wondering if its worth paying the 600-800, if I already have a 3.23. Will it make that much of a difference???
Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

I went from a 2.93 open to the 3.38 LSD. It may not be worth it to you as the difference from the 3.23 will be fairly small. With that said, you can sell your 3.23 for around $400 and make up the extra $400 for the 3.38. If you have to have someone do the labour for you, obviously the overall cost will be more. I swapped mine myself a few times, so labour wasn't an issues for me. All it took was some of my time...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Dreamer99
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I currently have a 3.23 diff on my car. I m thinking about upgrading to 3.38, is it worth it and how much do these diff usually go for????
I saw some selling before for around 700-800.
Does anyone have one their car????
What transmission does your car have? If you have an overdrive why not get some 3:46's or 3:64 gears, depending on what type of driving you do. I have a six speed manual tranny and 3:64 gears. They are perfect. 3000rpm in sixth gear at 120km/h, and the acceleration is awesome.

I think if I lived in an area that is relatively flat and travelled on the highway the majority of the time (GTA or similar) I would put in 3:46's.
Dreamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

3.46 and 3.64 ratios are NOT factory diffs for the e36. He'd have to go with a custom unit and that'll cost way more... the 3.38 is the closest thing available to those two that came stock in auto M3s, and that is why they are $$$$$ compared to say a 3.23
Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Jacko
2nd Gear Member

Tx for all the info. I m gonna start looking for one. Will let you know how it come about.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

could you not use a 3:45 LSD from a 318? They're probably a dime a dozen!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level View Post
could you not use a 3:45 LSD from a 318? They're probably a dime a dozen!
The actual gears are smaller (type 168 vs. type 188) and not recommended for higher loads a 325, 328 or M3 would put out.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 AM   #12
turboteg
2nd Gear Member

will the 3.23 or 3.38 fit without any modifications on my 96 328IS?? and how hard is it to swap it myself?thx
turboteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

you'll have to swap the output shafts ( really easy to do) and possibly the input shaft (not so easy to do). The actual removal/installation is straight forward, but it's not a 10 minute job. It depends on your skills/confidence level...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

As mentioned, there are two parts that can be different.

- The part of the differential that connects to the two axles leading to the wheels are called output flanges, the diff output flanges on an M3 are larger diameter than a normal e36, these are very easy to swap out and don't requires any real prep, you just pull out the old ones and insert the new ones. I was able to do this without any tools once the diff was out of the car, just with a quick tug on the output flange.
- The part of the differential that connects to the driveshaft leading to the transmission is called the input flange, generally M3's have a 6-bolt input flange, non-m's have a 4-bolt input flange. If the 3.38 you buy has a 4-bolt, then you're ready to go. If it's 6-bolt, you'll need to remove the 4-bolt flange from your existing differential and install it on the 3.38. You'll need an impact tool with appropriately sized socket and a gear puller.

The actual mounting of the diff in the subframe is pretty straight forward, it's just three bolts, but it's heavy, and it'll feel even heavier when the car is just 2 feet in the air and you're under it. I had my diff pretty much roll onto my gut when I wasn't expecting it. If any of the diff mounting bolts are bent, do not reinstall them, especially the single front diff bolt, it's pretty long and has a tendancy to bend. The bolts are just normal hex sockets.

Do yourself a favour and replace the 12 axleshaft bolts as well, they're cheap, and will give you peace of mind that they won't break (like mine did). These bolts are torx sockets. Becareful you don't tear the rubber CV boot when removing/installing the bolts. Non-permanent Loctite on these bolts isn't a bad idea either.

It's not a very hard job, the only semi-tight sport for me was removing the axle bolts on the exhaust side, if you're doing everything by hand (without air tools) you're looking at about an hour for your first time. I don't remember if I had to undo the rear swaybar mounts at the subframe for more clearance or not, but if you do, it's just another couple bolts, not a big deal.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair View Post
The actual gears are smaller (type 168 vs. type 188) and not recommended for higher loads a 325, 328 or M3 would put out.
maybe a touch OT, but if you were going to boost a 1.8 for shits & giggles would it then be a safe assumption that the stock 3.45 would need to be swapped out for a 3.28/3.38 from a 6 cyl?

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: