Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Nitromethane
1st Gear Newbie

O2 sensor woes

Cheers guys, new to this forum! Have a bit of a scenario for your inquisitive minds.

Day 0:

My E36 M50TU 325i has recently thrown an O2 sensor code, 1221.

The same day it started having a dippy idle, hesitation (ranging from mashing the gas pedal and having a 1-sec delay in warp speed, or to just having the intake sound like it's going WOT but the car barely accelerating) and white to black smoke from exhaust, depending on the time.

In my diagnosis, I've found the following:

No oil in coolant.

No coolant in oil.

Compression test: 210, 211, 210, 212, 213, 215

Lots of oil in my spark plug holes -- enough to sabotage the connection between the coil and the plug, no doubt leading to my intermittent power losses and hesitation... vis-a-vis, faulty valve cover gasket.

Day 1:

Replaced valve cover gasket, cleaned and dried plugs, and reinstalled. Had the valvetrain case open to atmosphere (but covered with the bonnet) on a rainy day on Saturday, for over 2 hours.

Went WOT a few times around the block, car still experiences hesitation/power loss condition.

Billowed TONS of white smoke in the process, with exhaust smelling damp like a rusty pipe, probably due to all the moisture collecting in the valvetrain case while open to environment...

Checked all vacuum connections, found one of the two vacuum hoses disconnected, on the bottom of the intake boot (post MAF). Reconnected and clamped, cleaned throttle body, lubricated cable and linkage.

White smoke went away after a few WOT bursts and 5 miles of driving, exhaust mostly clear, smells rich with fuel.

Hesitation/power loss condition GONE.

Day 2:

Hesitation/power loss condition all eliminated, seems stable.

Check engine light turning on/off in 20 or so minute intervals -- curious note: when light is on, car idles smoothly, exhaust clear - smells only slightly rich.... when light is off, the car idles fluctuates, gets quite dippy, and exhaust starts smoking white, smelling like a mixture of rusty pipes or so... Does not have an antifreeze smell, luckily.

So, in the end, I am pretty sure it is the O2 sensor only, however, I'd be open to other suggestions while I wait for its replacement to arrive.

Thanks for the help!
Nitromethane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Big T
94 318is

wow, you just described my 318, although i only had a little bit of oil in cyl. 2 and 3.

I got the same code 1221 O2 sensor I'm curious if thats the problem. I am pretty sure the oil is a different story though..old worn piston rings..for me anyways

and sometimes my check engine light comes on when i am WOT uphill

Last edited by Big T; 03-24-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Nitromethane
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
wow, you just described my 318, although i only had a little bit of oil in cyl. 2 and 3.

I got the same code 1221 O2 sensor I'm curious if thats the problem. I am pretty sure the oil is a different story though..old worn piston rings..for me anyways

and sometimes my check engine light comes on when i am WOT uphill
I replaced my O2 and the code went away.

The hesitation is still there sometimes, but I have no check engine codes.

Fuel filter is probably the culprit. Will replace and report.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Big T
94 318is

Hah. forgot about this thread.

I actually did replace the fuel filter, didn't make a difference, the hesitation isn't there as much anymore, but when it is rainy out is comes back.

Lemme know if your fuel filter replacement changes anything.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Nitromethane
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Hah. forgot about this thread.

I actually did replace the fuel filter, didn't make a difference, the hesitation isn't there as much anymore, but when it is rainy out is comes back.

Lemme know if your fuel filter replacement changes anything.
I had this issue on a 318... when it was rainy, it would hesitate/die... Found out rain was getting into the ECU box due to a bad seal under the windshield... Maybe something to look into?

Still haven't done the fuel filter replacement, car is fine 90% of the time...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: