Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
bimrpwr
2nd Gear Member

I just ordered E36 Coilovers for my E30......

Hi,

I finally ordered my OBX coilovers for my E30 and new Randy had done them on his car and I already posted about it once but I had some more ?s.

Do I only need to weld the front coil sleeves on or do I need to weld both front and rear on?

Does cutting the front perch only allow me to adjust the ride height more?

With the coilovers all the way down how low are you to the ground with your GTS kit?

When I install them how will I get a jack under my car?

Thanks
Madison

Feb. 21-23rd
51st Autorama
at COBO in
Detroit, MI

Check out my E30 at this years Autorama

"The Ultimate Driving Machine"
bimrpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Madison,

Neither front nor rear sleeves are welded (aluminum on steel) you're right about the added adjustment on the front if the stock perch is torched off. The pics of my car sitting on the grass... the coilovers are able to go down a further 1.3"!!!! Obviously not really possible with the large Rieger kit on. Good luck and pm me if you have any more questions..

Randy

P.S. Good luck in Detroit.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
rayz
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to rayz Send a message via Yahoo to rayz
so all i need to do is cut the perch off? at what point? just below the perch? and I dont need to tack weld them on? Ive been putting that job off for a while. I want the front on the ground!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:36 AM   #4
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Madison and Randy I don't get it.. why go with E36 coilovers.. what's the price on the kit and what does it include? I'm thinking about changing my suspension setup to something more aggressive and adjustable ..i have eibach sport kit right now

Thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 02:54 AM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

on the OBX box, it say both E30/E36... and since they have similar setups I don't see why they wouldn't (and didn't) work. The spring rates might be in question, but compared to the "E30" Ground Controls I had on prior, the OBX were a lot more street friendly with a decent ride.

When you torch off the stock perches (don't try this on the car please) you'll have to somehow make a lip so the sleeves rest on it since you can't weld Aluminum to the steel perch. Either a bead of weld or tack on an old brake line around the strut (do a good job, the weight of the front is on there).

Ryan, the price of the kit is around $260.00 CDN.... depending where you get it.... remember, they're just sleeves/springs, not "true" coilovers with shocks.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Thanks Randy..

so the springs arn't too stiff but they won't bottom out? any other trick mods to the suspension.. like rear control arm re-enforcement? camber/caster fixes or adjustments?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:02 AM   #7
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
so those are the sleeve and spring I have seen around. Is there any modding to be done. Most of that went over my head. the odbx was about 280?. I don't really need mine adjustable so would this be a good route for me?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:05 AM   #8
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Guys,for the price you can't beat the obx....BUT

I'd rather buy the GC coilovers. They are really great quality
and you can choose your own spring rates (call Jay at Ground control) The price is a bit higher though....

If I had to do it again, I would get the KW coilovers. They are
one of the best "true" coilovers out there. BBR Sportline in Markham is a supplier for KW. But they are $2200
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:30 AM   #9
Slowered318