Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

EDUCATE ME! the dreaded "what swap" question

So, I've done my research...I have a couple of options.

Car is a 1985 325e 2.7 ETA engine...woopie.

SO...these are my options...

there is a low mileage ETA bottom end, with a stroked 2.7 "I" head thats available...as far as I know, this essentially would be more or less a direct bolt-in? please correct me if I'm wrong

Otherwise, the consideration of either a M30 or M50 swap...but than i'm looking at swapping trannies, ECU, wireharness etcetc....

Correct me if I"m wrong, please understand i'm trying to get my information straight...I have done my searches on r3vlimed...however am looking for consice answers.

On average...what has the cost of a M50 swap run roughly?

I am looking to get this done prior to springtime...

Thanks for your patience and understanding
Wingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

really?

nobody knows?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

nope. because it all comes down to what exactly you want, how much you are willing to spend, and how much are you gonna do yourself. since you have the eta, maybe you can go in the stroker direction.

personally, if i had the money i would go with either a 24v or big six swap
Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
there is a low mileage ETA bottom end, with a stroked 2.7 "I" head thats available...as far as I know, this essentially would be more or less a direct bolt-in? please correct me if I'm wrong
There is no such thing as "stoked 2.7 "I" head" but and ETA bottom end with "I" head would be a direct bolt in.

Quote:
On average...what has the cost of a M50 swap run roughly?
That depends, are you doing the swap or getting a shop to do it for you? are you gonna make the mounts yourself or buy them? and wither you buy the parts for doing the swap or buy a donor car.

A lot of guys who are considering power upgrades don't really know what they want, you need to set goals on exactly how much power you want and what purpose you want it to serve, track, drag or just a cruiser with more power. And don't forget about the budget.
90E30i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

correct-

and yes, its a ETA botton with a 'I' head- my mistake.

HaDesm- you're right...I'll probably be looking at the stroker option...eventually lean towards a boost project.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
dgmorr
4th Gear Member

An i head isn't a complete bolt on, you will need your pistons notched.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

Certainly depends on what you want to spend, and how much you want to replace. I'd say you coudl do a basic M50 swap for $2500 if you wanted to do it cheap. I'm into my S52 swap for almost 8K, but I did everything I could think of..OBD swap, Z3 rack, transmission, Euro maf, intake, custom exhaust, new diff, driveshaft, E36 M3 brakes, 5 lug swap, ect ect....

I'd say go M30 or S50....M50 hardlly seems worht the effort for 20HP.
Ian Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

I heard doing a chip on a eta can add up to 24 HP and around 28 ft lbs of torque. It'll coast you a couple hundred and might hold you over for a while.

Just putting a "i" head on a eta bottom end will get you around 30-40 WHP with a stand alone engine management.

What you have to ask yourself is how much power do you want and how much do you want to spend.

If you rebuild your m20 with Super eta pistons you could probably get around 160 WHP. It would probably cost you around 1500.

I'm running a eta bottom end with "i" head and it cost me around 700, and gave me around 140 WHP but I did it to boost it.

Here is how my 85 eta accelerates with 140 WHP to give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy0s1ayxiiU

Not really that quick, kinda slow but it's still fun. For me a stock eta wasn't really that much fun but I hear adding a chip really makes a world of difference.

If you do a swap you should probably only bother if you want more than 180 WHP and have more than 2-3gs to spend on it.

Good luck

Oh ya just wanted to add that you won't have to notch the pistons if you go with the eta bottom end and "i" head. I'm not sure about going with a Super eta bottom end, Dgmorr would probably be the best guy to answer that.

Last edited by Aveman; 03-12-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Aveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

Aveman- your setup (eta bottom with "I" head) is exactly what I'll end up doing-
after speaking to some local E30'ers here..it'd be the best back for the buck...so it seems...
(btw what exhaust are you running? sounds badass!)
have access to a low(er) KM'd ETA bottom with "I" head, thats been rebuilt for the puposes of boosting...
this would also "as far as I know" a direct bolt up to my tranny...85 eta same as 87 eta? anyone confirm?

anyhow-

heres some better pics of the '85 I picked up yesterday- haven't touched ot or done anything to it.......yet.

The rust...probably will just get new fender.

Sunroof

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Nice find looks really clean. I bought the exhaust off another member, it's nothing special just a 2.25" from the manifolds back. Running a Magnaflow twin tip muffler. I'll be putting it up for sale soon for cheap so I can start bolting up the turbo setup.
Aveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

looks better in these pics. thats a clean e30.. at least the rust spots are on the fenders
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
bmdoubleya
6th Gear Member

How hard is it to swap in a complete 325is motor from a 87.?
bmdoubleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

If you are looking for best Hp for the $$$, you cant beat the big 6 M30. You get S50 power for about 1/4 of the price. The engine is bulitproof, easy to find, ready to swap in E30 (dont have to look for oil pan like m50/s50 etc). With a few small mods like chip, intake, exhaust and you have even more power and tons of torque...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdoubleya View Post
How hard is it to swap in a complete 325is motor from a 87.?
unsure...

so far, I have my eye on a couple of engines
1st engine is the one that Raf from Turbo-Ready has (eta bottom with "i" head) which more or less would be a direct bolt on...

2nd, is infact Rafaels old engine from his boosted 87 325is...with prepped oil outlet source allready prefabed for turbo application

Eurostyle-
The M30 would require a whole tranny swap, source a 528 rad, swap out engine harness etc etc etc etc etc...?
or am I completely out to lunch on that thought...
not too concerned about HP...torque is where all the fun is at...
also trying to maintain a descent daily driver status (for the summer)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingking View Post

Eurostyle-
The M30 would require a whole tranny swap, source a 528 rad, swap out engine harness etc etc etc etc etc...?
or am I completely out to lunch on that thought...
not too concerned about HP...torque is where all the fun is at...
also trying to maintain a descent daily driver status (for the summer)

And for a turbo motor you have to get intercooler, tubing, full exhaust, blow off valve, cooler/oil lines, boost gauge, engine managment, tons of time and effort for tuning...You have to be a lot more carefull when using it (eg; dont shut it off too soon, or get turbo timer...) and chances are it still wont be as reliable as a NA car.

If torque is what you want, you know what they say; there is no replacement for displacement!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: