Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

electrical problem

Hey guys I have a serious electrical problem I can't fix.
Bought a new battery, problem still persists. The car would never die while driving, and the battery would only die if left connected overnight. So disconnecting the battery when i wasnt driving was my cheap fix.

Now the battery's dieing while i'm driving so I am assuming my alternator has given up.

Now prior to my alternator giving up I hooked up a voltage meter in between the positive terminal of the battery and the car. I pulled every fuse and relay and found no drop in voltage. Therefore I couldn't find the result of the parasite drain.

Could my alternator have been faulty for a while and have been killing my car while sitting over night; but yet still charge my battery while the car was running? This is all I can come up with. I don't see what other electrical component in which I didnt pull the fuse for would cause this.

Thanks.
ruthmann88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Post some stats you find with your meter: how many volts do you read with the car off, and how many with the car running. Can your meter show amps (current)? If so, measure the current coming from your battery. Ask if you don't know how, I can give you a step by step.

It could be there was a drain killing you battery, and now your alt. is fried from charging your battery from dead so many times. That happens a lot; the alt. is not meant to charge a dead battery.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

i gotta get my hands on a new meter mine broke. I'll post the stats up tommorow, ty.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
Starters do crazy things too, but this does sound like an alternator issue. Be sure to search the forums, I am sure this was discussed within the year.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
slimjim
Almost Sideways

i know it sounds stupid, but is ur alternator belt loose? when u wiggle it, you shouldnt have too much play. the exact same thing happen to a friend of mine.

ya, first thigs first check oming fr the battery should be around 14v.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

ok..

K man, possible solution.

Get a volt meter and hook it in the lighter plug or wherever you should have battery voltage.

Start the car it should go to 13 volts, or near to it definitely over 12 volts.

If not rev the engine over 3k. Make sure the engine is at least out of the blue on the temp gauge.

The voltage should now rise to roughly 13 volts.

This is testing the alternator, the small + lead to the alternator tells it to charge the field and start the charge. If it charges after revving you should check that lead, make sure it's giving 12v (battery voltage) on run. If it is giving battery voltage on 'run' then you have an alternator field issue and you'll need a rebuilt or new one.

Later.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

in addition.

The reason the alternator kicks in automatically after a 3k rev, is that at that speed it builds enough internal charge to kick itself on. If after revving to 3k it doesn't turn on... the alternator internal board needs to be changed, probably cheaper just to get a good used one or a rebuilt one.

later.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

Hey everything fixed. It was the alternator. Got it rebuilt. I didn't know that a faulty alternator could actually cause a parasite drain. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

cool glad u worked it out.

Well if the alternator needs current to activate the field, yet at the same time isn't feeding the system a charge, I suppose what you get is a net loss, and the resultant battery drain.

Later man,

Mike.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

It won't generally drain the battery when the car is off tho, so if your car goes dead again you still may have a drain.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
WillieE30
2nd Gear Member

Bad Diode in Alt can cause drain.....good fix and diagnosis.......Bill

P.S....A good tool to have in your tool box is a clamp on current meter for D.C....can be expensive but well worth it for drains......cheers

Last edited by WillieE30; 03-10-2008 at 10:17 AM.
WillieE30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: