Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Acuraknight, welcome to max.. first post!

Jamil20, not sure what you're doing wrong either, other than perhaps you blew the fuse on the ammeter.. The best way to do this.. is hard to describe. I'll try:

You disconnect the battery (either + or -) and get your meter ready. Now, touch the terminal and post together so they are making contact but you can easily move the terminal. Now, clumsily touch the meter to the terminal and post. Then, move the terminal and post apart, leaving the meter touching the terminal and post.

You see, when you first connect the battery after it being disconnected, the V may spike as the computer, etc, power up. This way, your computer powers up, and everything 'settles', then when you pull the cable away from the battery, leaving the meter connected, no spike goes through the meter.

Frack I hate trying to type this procedure out.. it is really easy to do, just hard to describe.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 AM   #17
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
-

Oh so to top it all off My PC Blew up/died like the very next day!
was a amd semperon 1800+ (2ghz), 2gig ram, dvd burner, etc

well it would still boot but said: windows\system32\config\system ..was corrupt or missing ..
tried various things.. was even gona dos boot & copy over the 3.5mb+ 'system' file, but failed.
hmm wonder if its even the actual hard drive?

it had also been sporadicly shutting right off for a few months prior.
pwr supply rear fan needed a push start & shit, t'was on its way out.
glad i had recently backed up all my pics & stuff.

so i bought a used p4 2.6ghz for $150!

:
Nice im still rocking a P4 love it! ... the bios shuts the system off when the processor get's too hot ... the joys of dust and fan failure... reformat the hd and install vista or xp with updates and you will love it !
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Acuraknight, welcome to max.. first post!

Jamil20, not sure what you're doing wrong either, other than perhaps you blew the fuse on the ammeter.. The best way to do this.. is hard to describe. I'll try:

You disconnect the battery (either + or -) and get your meter ready. Now, touch the terminal and post together so they are making contact but you can easily move the terminal. Now, clumsily touch the meter to the terminal and post. Then, move the terminal and post apart, leaving the meter touching the terminal and post.

You see, when you first connect the battery after it being disconnected, the V may spike as the computer, etc, power up. This way, your computer powers up, and everything 'settles', then when you pull the cable away from the battery, leaving the meter connected, no spike goes through the meter.

Frack I hate trying to type this procedure out.. it is really easy to do, just hard to describe.
I didn't do it exactly like this. I disconnected the post, then put my multimeter in series. I expected the trunk light to come on at least. My multimeter is fused, so I didn't blow it. I have the option to unfuse it though.

I can try it the way you described.

Also to note, the car was not on. It was completely off, which means the PC is off too.
Jamil20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^^ When Jay said Computer, I think he means the Engine computer (ie. DME/ECU) Which is powered even when the car is off.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

lol!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #21
everlast

Yep, I did. When you put the multimeter in series with the cable and your trunk lite DIDN'T light up, then either your fuse is blown or you didn't make contact. With lights off, etc, you should see at least 40mA of draw, more likely around 80mA.

BTW, $windows$\system32\config\system is the binary record of HKLM/System hive of the registry, which is very easy to corrupt in situations where windows wasn't powered down. Your overheating caused the power downs, which caused the registry corruption.

I actually back those files up every so often. You can just drop in the replacement and your machine will boot.

I assume you had tried "Last Known Good Configuration"? That loads the backup file windows always keeps.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #22
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

cracked rear bumper , broken bumper gril , all the heat shields make noise , rust is starting to show summer had nothing threw winter i now see rust
this spring i have work to do on it well since i am a body man its not too bad but still its work/money
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

My winter problems.. Broke the auger spring on the snowblower and lost 2 bolts.

As for the car the only problem that I have is I can't clean it. I'm at 6,000KM and I have 30% oil life remaining..

Adam I saw your rice twin today.. same 318 colour stickers and a fart can.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
carjoe
6th Gear Member

My biggest problem, I ran out of gas in the snowblower Wednesday. I'm loving this...

Tony, how's the shelter holding up?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #25
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
My biggest problem, I ran out of gas in the snowblower Wednesday. I'm loving this...

Tony, how's the shelter holding up?

Yeah I ran out of gas about 7 times this winter, I went and got 20$ worth of gas on Weds... didn't even fill a 5 gallon Depressing

Well I've cleaned the roof about 6 times this year.. in the past 5 years I've owned it, I think I took the snow off a total of 2 times. I'm surprised that it's lasting this long. When I stand beside it on the snow bank I'm about 2-3 feet higher then the roof.. kinda cool and easy to clean off I might have posted some more pics on FB..

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
everlast

My snowblower started to run like hell.. i was really worried. I love that thing. Its a 70's death machine (single stage) that would chew up a small child. I've got a kickass PureEvil sticker on it.

Anyway, turns out the shield around the throttle shook the carb loose. I'm surprised it ran at all.. i could put my finger between the carb and the motor, lol. Tightened up and away it goes! YAY!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsBmr View Post
Nice im still rocking a P4 love it! ... the bios shuts the system off when the processor get's too hot ... the joys of dust and fan failure... reformat the hd and install vista or xp with updates and you will love it !
well maybe not so much with Vista, eh

I've heard (and seen abit 1st hand) that its the new windows millenium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is View Post
Adam I saw your rice twin today.. same 318 colour stickers and a fart can.
lol ..... but also ewww
Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #28
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

[quote=bmdbley'sBro;1120827]well maybe not so much with Vista, eh

I've heard (and seen abit 1st hand) that its the new windows millenium
QUOTE]

Depends what programs and hardware you are running, cause some older stuff wont work with vista. however If you know what your doing you can actually use xp drivers in vista, but its not recommended. I didn't like vista at first and swapped back to XP quickly, but I'm using Vista now and I love it ... Computer runs alot quicker, and all my hardware has updated drivers for vista . I think Microsoft has a service pack 1 for vista or you can just use the Microsoft update link and its prity easy to install all the updates... with all this said I have tweaked the following to keep the computer fast by tweaking startup programs, startup services, and video card over clocking... good luck!

OH ya I also soak my heat sink with the fan attached with hot water every 6 months to remove the dust.. again not recommended but im crazy like that and don't have a air compressor

Last edited by ecuconnection; 03-08-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #29
everlast

Bear, the only way Vista is quicker on the same hardware than XP is if you're on CRACK.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #30
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Haven't played with Vista much yet. From what I've seen, I hate it.

I did make the switch to Ubuntu last week. Aside from RDP security issues, I'm liking it so far.

On topic, this snow is sick. I pulled a Tony and took pics today...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: