Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

Question Help with lights dimming after audio install

I just finished installing the following into my 01 325i (non-xenon)

one 12" Infinity Sub 4ohm, 300w RMS (in vented box)
one Sony Xplod Amp 340w RMS at 4ohm (adjusted gain lower to match sub)
one Audiobahn 1 Farad Capacitor w/digital readout
one JVC MP3 deck with amp pre-outs

After the installation and tuning the bass I noticed that when the bass kicks hard my headlights dim. (even when the cars on and driving). I looked at the capacitor and it is kicking in and maintaining 11.5-12volts. I thought the purpose of the capacitor was to eliminate the extra drain on the battery.

Could the issue be that because the amp is 2 feet from the battery in the trunk and that the main power wire for the vehicle is longer than that, due to it having to travel to the front of the car to feed the fuse panel and other accessories it is taking too much power?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1unekE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Weird......... that's not a big amp either. Strange that this should be happening. Most stock electrical systems can easily handle this. IS there anything else aftermarket installed and running at the same time? When is this happening............. -20 degree weather when you have all your accessories on ???
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

The car has nothing else electrical added. Only mods so far were suspension and wheels.

The car is kept in a heated garage but it does not matter if the temperature is above or below 0 the lights still dim when the bass hits. I have tried it with nothing else on except the radio and the headlamps while driving, and same results.

The Battery is only a year old and no other electrical stuff have been acting up. The car starts up first time and everything else works fine, heater, rear defroster, wipers, etc.

Just a thought but does it matter that I grounded the Amp directly to the battery negative terminal rather than a clean chassis screw/point?

Unfortunatley if this contiues I will have to remove the 12" sub and try a lesser system maybe with 2x 6" or 8" subs with a combined total of 200w RMS.

Any one else have the same symptoms?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Blades
Your opinion is to long

did you pre-charge the capacitor before installing? common mistake where the capacitor doesnt do anything after installation. To test it use a volt meter and see if there is a large drop.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
europrince
6th Gear Member

get a secondary battery
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

sounds like the alternator is dying
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

In reply to Blades question, yes I made sure the capacitor was fully discharged first and than charged it with the supplied light meter. I have done this many times with no issues.

In reply to jstalin comment, I will check my alternators output tonight when I get home with a volt meter. However I would have thought if the alternator was dying that when I have the heat on, wipers, rear defroster that the lights would dim but they do not.....I guess I'm F__Ked if it isn't the alternator either.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
hellrot_M3
3rd Gear Member

it is your battery. The same thing happened to my brother 01 330ci. He installed a full system like yours and his lights were dimming. so he installed an optima yellow battery and it was great afterwards. hope this helps

RMP Motors For The Win!!!!!
hellrot_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

yea happened to me and i installed an optima blue top battery..... for rv's and boats's....
bimmerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
///M3
2nd Gear Member

you shouldnt ground to your battery
///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
elroy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 View Post
you shouldnt ground to your battery