Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Tom
4th Gear Member

Rear Subframe damage repair question

hey guys, well when I bought my 2000 323, the previous owner had told me there was subframe damage that was repaired by waranty at the BMW deaker im pretty sure... I was just looking around on corner73s website and I noticed they had a rear subframe reinforcement kit for people who have either had there subframes worked on or just for those who are looking for extra reinforcment, Anyways I was wondering if BMW installs this reinforcement kit when they do the repair or is this something I should buy and install myself? The previous owner had this car completely stock besides a remus exhaust system and that will change this spring when I install a bunch of bolt on mods Ive bought over this winter...So basically im asking if this reinforcement kit is necassary or is the BMW repair job to be trusted? Thanks guy!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I believe that it can be installed by the dealer. I know that for the E36 the dealership sells a reinforcement kit, since it was a common problem. Not sure if they've done that with the E46's
Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Tom
4th Gear Member

sell it

Hello, yes but what I am asking is if they install the reinforcement kit when they do the repair? as my car had the repair done to it a while back, I had my mechanic look but he said he couldnt see anything new or reinforced, but he did take a quick look... And if they dont install the reinforcement kit then is it worth it to install is basically what my 2 questions are. Thanks

Tom
Old 03-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I would imagine that the people that repair it WOULD install the reinforcement kit, and i'm pretty sure that you can't really tell just by lookin under the car (someone correct me). You should have to take the subframe off/lower to see if it's been re-inforced or fixed.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
joeys323ci
2nd Gear Member

you can see most of it while under the car. did the original owner say the subframe was torn out or their was damage to the subframe? why dont you go to the stealership and have them pull the service records?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Polish_328ci
2nd Gear Member

Most likely it wasn't re-inforced. All they did was basically make a whole new portion of your subfame and install it. It shouldn't happen again but if it does then clearly you can go to BMW and explain how they are F'in morons.

If you try to install the plates now your going to pay a ridicules price on labour.
Polish_328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Tom
4th Gear Member

thanks polish

hey thanks for the advice polish328! I shoulda made my name polish323 Anyways ya I figured the installation would be up the a$$, the reinforcement kit is on corner73 for 179 i think which isnt bad... but I guess this should have been done at the same time as the repair! Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Polish_328ci
2nd Gear Member

lol no worries.
Ya it's not a bad idea to get the kit but only when they are doing the work. I had my sub-frame fixed by BMW a few months back and honestly they did an awesome job, it looks soo perfectly normal lol. I mean if it happens again then BMW can't engineer cars, what else could you say. So it better not happen because I love my car lol.
Polish_328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

When the dealer repairs torn subframes they do not install any re inforcement plates. If they were installed you COULD see them from under the car.

Even if the car is repaired the plates are still a good idea to install. The new trunk floor is no better then the original one!!

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: