Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyclxton View Post
Considering i have built a 580HP 351 Cleavlanmd engine with my dad for his 1970 Mach1, and i've built a 5.0L Mustang engine for my old drag car, and yet helped on another one for my friends 5.0L and helping build his LS3 engine i know considerably amount on building an engine... and whats the "basics" mean to you?
and people on here with "seniority" and "knowledge" that consider swapping an "i" head on to an eta engine is considered building a stroker. have alot more knowledge then me on engines considering its NOT stroker engine, because you are NOT changing the STROKE of then engine.

But yet again i am a dreamer
Basics, as in you can't come in here and expect us to take you seriously when you think headers and an exhaust give you 25 HP, or cams 30 HP, etc. on a 2v/cyl 2.5L straight 6.

You can now tell what you want, about motors you have or haven't built. But I do not believe YOU built them, not when you talk nonsense like that.

The first thing you should know is that smaller displacement engines like the M20 don't take well to "simple" mods that produce good power values on a large V8.

Not only that, most stock OLD American V8's see such large gains because they weren't tuned near their limit in the first place. Where European companies make smaller engines to start with, but try to make as much power as possible while still retaining a good amount of reliability. This goes from everything from the intake to the tips of the muffler.

Good luck with your project. IMO for the power levels you're looking at achieving with the M20 you should seriously look into turbo charging it. It's a strong motor, and with the right parts you'll make a lot more power then you really need in an E30 for a lot less money.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
Shoes R
Shoes R

I haven't built an engine all by myself before, I have had help because usually I dont need to do it by myself because I have friends and my father who help me when I'm working on a project and vice versa, because i have yet to hear about ANYONE BUILDING an engine on their own including maching it, and i think i have said this before I haven't worked on an european engine before and thats why I come here asking questions.

And yeah i have worked on cars

thanks for coming out and being a dick chris

And Like i said the HP gains were an estiamte A GUESS! from what HP gains i am use to seeing on those parts, and i didn't know that about the american engines, like

I have been asking questions and still get reamed on, what a good community this is maybe i should start asking questions like "What Gas I Should Use!" maybe I can start a good and helpful thread
I'm not saying I m getting 400HP out of these parts I m guessing, usually when some one says maybe 20hp or 30HP thats aiming high, its like saying getting maybe getting 5HP out of a CIA,

The only helpful people on this thread have been Jazz M and NOTORIOUS VR thanks for the help., the rest of you are just flapping your gums being dinks...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #18
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Yes I wasted 7grand. I'm a real smart kid huh? lol

Granted, I don't have a 3.1l blah blah, because that would have required me at the time to go out and buy another crank, set of rods, etc... I stuck with a simple 2.7 crank, since I had it already at my disposal. Even still, with a 3.0l crank from a S50B30US, it still wouldn't spin you past 250HP. Man, 250hp is a stretch with the m20. It is an old design, penned in the 70s. What do you expect? Obviously it makes more sense to put the money into a 24v BMW engine whereas it will make more power with the same amount of money thrown at it. Regardless, in a money-for-horsepower tradeoff, boosting is generally the way to go with the older motors, as NotoriousVR commented, they are naturally strong engines.

Probably a reason why a lot of people are giving you attitude is because you cannot find the SEARCH button. Try it, it gives a good bit of info. Also try R3Vlimited.com as there is an abundance of e30 info floating around. Don't expect us to do your homework for you in 5 minutes that took some of the people here years to figure out and prove and retain.

You need to look over that list again you posted in your original post. I didn't know the m20 has only 6 valves. You have some special 3 cylinder version going on?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Shoes R
Shoes R

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
You need to look over that list again you posted in your original post. I didn't know the m20 has only 6 valves. You have some special 3 cylinder version going on?
yeah i have done reasearch for quite awhile and i was mainly asking about Ireland engineerings 3.1L stroker kit, and was abvoiuosly a typo along with the 10 MOTOR MOUNTS
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Its a bunch of bottom end parts. What else is there to know? The cranks are BMW(3.0l crank from s50b30 or m54b30), the pistons are Custom (probably JE, I don't know who makes their pistons) and thats all there is. It says 'call for more info'. How can you ask when nobody here has even gotten a kit from them? Dude, the e30 population here on maXbimmer is small, in comparison to say R3V, where your question is much more relevant over there. Seriously, go on there, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and drop the attitude. Its getting sour. Clearly it was a joke, I'm not that stupid.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

e30tech.com is also a very good forum.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #22
Shoes R
Shoes R

seemed more of an insult to me say i dont know anything about cars, just trying to get cheap thrills, but w.e.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
something ireland engineering doesnt warn u about, the motor will be good for only 30-50,000Km and it will need a rebuild.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #24
jamison67
E30 POWER

is this kid even old enough to drive with all the stupid shit hes saying lma
jamison67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #25
Shoes R
Shoes R

nope not old enough to drive but i own 4 cars
Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #26
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison67 View Post
I want to ask the same question from you..

Here is how it works "speedyclxton". IMO the best way to learn sometimes is dig in and get your hands dirty.

If you do consider yourself a car guy, there are a few basics you should know

4 valves per cylinder are better then 2.

A motor designed in the 90s is better then an engine designed in the 70s ( at least in the case of M50 vs M20)

When you mentioned about making 400hp, you didn't say anything about boost then, To make 400hp N/A on a 5.0 liter ford motor is not an easy task, let alone on motor half its size.

I know some guys on the forum act like dicks sometimes, but you should consider yourself lucky Jordan is not on here anymore

You do have to be clear when you are asking for help though...just a thought
90E30i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison67 View Post
sheesh man relax. fine maybe what hes saying is a bit to unreal, but give the guy a break. dont sit here talking shit right after like 3 other members hammered down at him. your post is way off topic, u're not even discussing technical issues you're just attacking the guy personally. i bet u wouldnt even have talked shit if other members werent harsh with him either... one person starts and the rest follow.
if u have something productive to say, like giving ur personal thoughts on how much u can actually get out of an m20, then go ahead. but dont sit here assuming this guy is just some kid.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #28
Shoes R
Shoes R

i don't even care what they say, i don't lose any sleep, they just chime in to get some attention, and like i said before i don't know much about BMW's and just because the m20 has a 12 valve head doesn't mean shit there are lots of engines with interchangeable heads, for the VW MKII/III theres the 16 valve head 20 valve head and the 8 valve head. I don't know everything there is to know about cars, but i do know enough, and thats why i come on here to ask questions, read and search to get information on shit I don't know about, and just because I'm hoping to get something doesn't mean I m saying a getting something, and I have never once argued on that those numbers are reachable someone tells me that its not possible I just learned something i didn't know but assholes love to try and talk shit to make someone feel like them, a piece of shit... because thats all assholes do is push out shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
something ireland engineering doesnt warn u about, the motor will be good for only 30-50,000Km and it will need a rebuild.
yet again something else i didn't know about, simply put and not being a dick,

Last edited by Shoes R; 02-25-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Shoes R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #29
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Don't sweat it...I suggest going over the r3v and reading up...Do lots of research and then if you wanna share your ideas and get input with us it'll prevent these flaming threads from happening.

Don't worry about jamision67...he still owes us a dyno sheet.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #30
90E30i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
just because the m20 has a 12 valve head doesn't mean shit there are lots of engines with interchangeable heads, for the VW MKII/III theres the 16 valve head 20 valve head and the 8 valve head.
I wish we had an interchangeable 24valve head for the M20, but there isn't one. Althou I remember reading once that an after market company ( hartage or racing dynamics or maybe somebody else) made a 24valve head for the M20.

You can make around 200whp range with a stroker M20, but you have to spend alot of money to make that power. The cheapest and easiest way to make power on the M20 and any motor for that matter is FI. I'm making around 330whp and 325wtq with all oem internals.

I know 12 valves doesn't mean you can't make power, the Swedes have been making around 1000hp on their M20s, but they usually don't have a budget when they build a car.

Since you have an M50, I would consider a swap before spending money on the M20 and the M50 is a much better platform for making reliable power then the M20.

Make sure you do your research on the M50 swap, its not a straight drop in. Good luck.
90E30i is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: