Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
someguy
Singhy

Help!!!

Seems like one thing gets fixed on the E36 an another breaks....driving home today, the dashboard and all interior backlighting went out. The speedometer an stuff still function, the mileage lights up, but no backlighting. The side markers on the outside don't turn on when I turn on the light switch, but they blink with the indicator. The headlights and taillights work, except for the passengers taillight (not brake lights, reverse, indicators, etc. I tried disconnecting the battery and waiting, then reconnecting, but it didn't fix it. The OBC says tail light failure. Every single light on the car was working this morning. Seems odd that some lights went out but others didn't.

suggestions?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
rlim
2nd Gear Member

Wow ... that's a strange one. I will start with the fuse box .. check your manual for your lighting and go through them individually.

At least your OBC detected tail light failure ... simple fix.. replace bulb.
rlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
DANE
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to DANE
DEFINATLY check ur fuse
DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
someguy
Singhy

hmmm i checked the fuse box this morning....fuse 37 was blown an i replaced it but when I tried the lights it just blew again!! wtf

edit: K after some googling I found this page.
http://edu.cqdx.gov.cn/car/134796.html
as unorganized as it is, I think it explains the exact same issue I'm having....lights shorting out, no buzzer sound when I open the door with lights "on", etc. Gonna check the light switch when I go home today. If anybody else has more suggestions please let me know...

Last edited by someguy; 02-15-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

i just replaced my light switch for a different problem, when i took it out and shook it it sounded like it was full of debris. entriely possible yours is producing a short and blows the fuse. you can get a new one from bavauto.com for around 40 bucks i think. easy enough fix. the is a screw in the bottom of the whole vent/switch assembly, unscrew that and pull it out, pull of the switch knob from the switch and undo the big plastic nut. switch connection comes of with a twist. replace switch reverse order you are done

new switch also feel nice and crisp
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Search on bimmerforums.com ...I remember reading something VERY similar. There are wires that go to the taillights through your trunk lid, and they are not insulated properly, so after years of openeing and closing the trunk, they slide around and the insulation comes off, shorting out the components you listed!!!

Someone who has more time, please find the thread I'm talking about.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Friend of mine lost his dash lights in his 328i.. if he replaces the fuse they work until the first time the door locks lock.. It's the front pass door causing it... e36's have some weird issues sometimes lol
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
someguy
Singhy

@ Mickey Knox: Thanks...I was gonna try removing the whole dash lol
@Flav: I initially thought about that but concluded that the wiring to the trunk wouldn't affect the interior lights....guess i was wrong.
@ infamou$: now thats a strange one...hope thats not the case tho. Its very similar in manner that when I put in a new fuse, I can see the dash light up for a fraction of a second before it blows again.

I'm gonna try troubleshooting from easiest to hardest...first with the trunk wiring, then the switch itself, then if that comes up with nothing, I guess I'll just trace the wiring start to end.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Not sure what year your car is.. but just out of curiosity.. If at night (when you can see the dash lights) if you hit the button on your center console near the pass side window buttons for the locks... see if your dash lights work for a fraction of a second (blown fuse or not) my buddies car will flash them for a second.. let me know ???!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
@ Mickey Knox: Thanks...I was gonna try removing the whole dash lol
@Flav: I initially thought about that but concluded that the wiring to the trunk wouldn't affect the interior lights....guess i was wrong.
@ infamou$: now thats a strange one...hope thats not the case tho. Its very similar in manner that when I put in a new fuse, I can see the dash light up for a fraction of a second before it blows again.

I'm gonna try troubleshooting from easiest to hardest...first with the trunk wiring, then the switch itself, then if that comes up with nothing, I guess I'll just trace the wiring start to end.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
someguy
Singhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOU$ View Post
Not sure what year your car is.. but just out of curiosity.. If at night (when you can see the dash lights) if you hit the button on your center console near the pass side window buttons for the locks... see if your dash lights work for a fraction of a second (blown fuse or not) my buddies car will flash them for a second.. let me know ???!!
My car is a '95 325i.

As far as this problem goes....it was just another bump in my love/hate relationship with E36's.
I had some free time so I thought I'd just take a look at the trunk wiring....looked good as new. Just out of curiosity, I disconnected my battery and grabbed my work knife....I ripped the rubber tubing covering the wires and to my amazement I found a mess of exposed wires, all with burn marks
Right there in the parking lot of the university, I cut each one apart, stripped them down to clean wiring, and used some wire connecters I had in the electronics kit supplied by the school for a group project.
I quickly wrapped them up in electrical tape and tucked them away, then replaced the blown fuse, and voila...FULLY FUNCTIONING LIGHTING!!!

Took me all of 15 minutes maximum, but freezing my ass off for 15 minutes was totally worth it. I even got some weird looks when people saw me taking a blade to my car lol.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

so this was in the trunk wiring?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
someguy
Singhy

yup....all the wiring was rubbing together an started shorting out
Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Exactly what I was referring to...the wires rub together and the insulation on each wire strips off!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
///MG
3rd Gear Member

I had that happen to me too when I replaced the bulbs. Sometimes the bulbs are faulty and they let more amps thru, as a result blowing the fuse. Fuse 37 is responsible for all the lights inside the car, your right corner light and the taillights. It's really weird how it's all connected... but I'm not the one who designed the car. I replaced the bulb for stock bulb and it worked fine. As a test, I put in the "faulty" bulk in the other socket (on the left side of the car) and it blew a different fuse... I then proceeded to breaking the bulk for all the hassle it has cuased me.. i smashed it with a hammer... i felt a lot better after
2004 Mitsubishi Galant SOLD
1993 Plymouth Duster SOLD
///MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I had the same trunk wiring issues.... it's a common problem/ flaw in the design.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: