Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

mtech 2 kit and paint

ok so i picked up the mtech 2 bumper, valance and a diffuser for the front, and the side skirts. and since i was planning on painting the whole car i figured i would jsut spray them seperate now and put them on until i paint the whole car in the summer.

I have two questions, one is, the kit is made of fiberglass and has no holes or mounting brackets/hardware. anyone have any idea on the best way to get it on good?

and two, for paint right now the car is lachssilber-metallic #203 do you think i should jsut respray, or maybe go the route of a newer darker bmw colour?
preferably in the grey's still, my only concern is i wont be painting jams or engine bay, you guys think it will look better same colour and clean, or maybe nicer colour but diff colour bay, jams, and trunk?

thanks steve
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
alpine323
2nd Gear Member

Not to be a downer, but you made a big mistake buying a fiberglass kit.
Especially if there are no mounting holes or brackets, that means it has to be put on custom. Which means it will not look stock and may not look like it fits perfect.

If you can return it, I would.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

i bought it off of a fellow member, so no dice on returning i assume, and i also can't really afford an authentic kit, so this will have to do. any mounting ideas tho?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
alpine323
2nd Gear Member

To be honest, a lot of garages will do this different, and some wont even touch it, because they cant guarantee their work.

I would go around to a couple of places and see what they have to say.

Sorry to be a buzz kill dude.

If you can find a place to put it on properly, just drive carefully because fiberglass cracks very very easily.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
So you picked up the kit from 91iS huh? Good deal. But its not a diffuser. its a splitter. Diffusers are on the backs of cars.

All aftermarket stuff is sketchy to mount. You probably will have to drill holes into the bottom of your front bumper to screw the valance onto it. For the sides, you will have to drill into your rocker panel (ouchy) make sure you paint the holes, or it will rust (downsides to bodykits lol)

Keep your car the same colour. Lach is a decent colour (wish mine was anything other that red) as it will look proper, and have reasonable resale value later... different colour bays, trunk and door jams look ghetto. Trust me on that lol.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

alright, thanks for the help guys.

maybe i will try to sell it then? i dunno
I think i agree with you rudy, it will look alot cleaner with everything the same colour, but resale doesn't matter to me, it will already be shit with almost half a mill km's on the odo
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
89M3
2nd Gear Member

Putting on the kit is not that hard.90% of kits out there is fiberglass and very easy to work with.Any body shop would beable to do the job.If you want to do it yourself.Go to a auto body supply shop.There you can get to stuff to do the job.What I like to use to glue the kit to cars is windshield sealer.$15 for a tube.And for the bumpers you can make brackets or screw it in place.Also you can get paint in a can mix to match your car.I can't explane in details on how to do it,but I hope this helps.
89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

hey, this guys is looking for a kit
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101244
Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

thanks alot, i will def talk to him

steve

Display Modes Rate This Thread