Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
I just don't know if I could take the plunge and move to Quebec. But Damn the deals there are really tempting. I'd never find a house here like the one you sent me for any less than like 400k
I'll do my reverse Darth Vader -- Don't go to the dark side! Don't do it! Overall cost of living (including taxation) is higher!
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

^^^Time to defend the land of the poutine!!!

Taxes are higher but then you have to look at other things as well. Insurence for example some guys on max pay 4K a year for an E30.. I pay $1500 for a 2008 Civic and a 1994 BMW.. Beer is cheaper, smokes are cheaper, gas well it's almost the same. Land taxes are around the $2200 mark, we don't pay for water here, it's in your taxes. If you get a cleaning lady for your house the government pays them $4 an hour...and health care is better on the Quebec side.

It's just little things so add all that up and see how much you save and we'll say for shits and giggles you are starting out $180,000 ahead by buying that house in Quebec at $220,000 Vs The Same House in Ontario at $400,000. If you wanna get technical add on the interest rate for 25 years to both houses and get back to me, you'll be close to $350,000 ahead in Quebec after your 25 years are up with interest. So why is it cheaper to live in Ontario? Beats me, maybe I can't count.

Alot of people asked me why I don't want to move to Ontario and I Just state the above things to them. For $220K in Quebec I get a nice big house, with a yard and double garage, 2 story 3 bed and 2 bath.. In Ontario for that price, I'm lucky if I get a townhouse 2 bed 1 bath and maybe a garage and a driveway to park one car.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^ to defend Ontario though, If I were to move 40min outside Ottawa on the Ontario side, the house prices are similar, maybe even a little cheaper. The only reason they are more around Ottawa where I'm looking are because they are closer, like Kanata, Nepean etc. So Distance vs Value is about the same between Ontario and Quebec.

Car insurance is pretty much the same from my perspective. The only time people get raped in Ontario is when you're under 25, Above that it's no different. (Unless you have lots of tickets)

$2200 in taxes would be considered on the high end of the scale on the outskirts of Ottawa. Plus I'm pretty sure the provincial portion of the income tax is higher.

I also couldn't handle Quebec roads.

Last edited by chromius; 02-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

Tony, didn't know you were looking for a house. Plan on staying in Buckingham?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #20
jeffrie
Addict

Living in Quebec and Ontario is about the same (I'v done both), Ontario is cheaper if you do not drive a car. If you do it's more expensive.
In Qubec you save on insurance even if your over 25 + housing is WAY cheaper (insurance wise too) but double taxed by the quebec government and less of the city luxury stuff spoiled lot's enjoy.
Main reason I moved back to Qubec (besides the 300+ acres of land to play with I now have) is the BS crap Ontario pulls on you were Qubec doesn't.
Such as traffic is fast moving, not bumper to bumper EVERYWERE you go as it is from west end to east on a 400 series hyw? Quebec driver ratio from grandpa to F1 style is way in the F1 style ratio were Ontario is in barly out of Grandpa state.
The never ending retarded bylaws, And what is with the 4+ different bins and a set limit for garbage pick up.
Bin for food waste, another for glass, one for paper and yet another for plastic.... Then no wood allowed or car parts and or leaves, appliances till specific days of the year....
Simplified in Qubec, recycle goes in one bin, rest goes in the other, I can drag a my fridge or hot water tank to the curb when ever I feel like it. I can also drink beer by a camp fire without the police asking for the permit (25 bucks a shot in Ottawa), I can buy beer @ the corner store for WAY cheaper then a beer store & have none of the uptight neighbors constantly saying "You can't do that" when ever I did something out of the ordinary, not to mention the neghbors are not sharing a wall & drivway with you either.
Geuss once your you have gone to the dark side you'll never be accepted again into the Cult of Ontario, but all is always welcome to join the "Dark Side".

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Tony, didn't know you were looking for a house. Plan on staying in Buckingham?

Yup staying in Buckingham or Masson/Angers..

Main reason is my sons school and daycare and 2nd I can't afford the style of house that I want in Ontario..

Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #22
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is View Post
^^^Time to defend the land of the poutine!!!

Taxes are higher but then you have to look at other things as well. Insurence for example some guys on max pay 4K a year for an E30.. I pay $1500 for a 2008 Civic and a 1994 BMW.. Beer is cheaper, smokes are cheaper, gas well it's almost the same. Land taxes are around the $2200 mark, we don't pay for water here, it's in your taxes. If you get a cleaning lady for your house the government pays them $4 an hour...and health care is better on the Quebec side.

It's just little things so add all that up and see how much you save and we'll say for shits and giggles you are starting out $180,000 ahead by buying that house in Quebec at $220,000 Vs The Same House in Ontario at $400,000. If you wanna get technical add on the interest rate for 25 years to both houses and get back to me, you'll be close to $350,000 ahead in Quebec after your 25 years are up with interest. So why is it cheaper to live in Ontario? Beats me, maybe I can't count.

Alot of people asked me why I don't want to move to Ontario and I Just state the above things to them. For $220K in Quebec I get a nice big house, with a yard and double garage, 2 story 3 bed and 2 bath.. In Ontario for that price, I'm lucky if I get a townhouse 2 bed 1 bath and maybe a garage and a driveway to park one car.
Funny that two people mentioned the price of beer

All I know is that everyone I know who has looked into it ended up staying in Ontario for monetary reasons -- but for one person that got a massive house on the river after a bank foreclosure and scored HUGE.

House insurance is largely based on value, as are property taxes -- thus the lower rates. If anyone here is paying $4K for an E30, they either have a lousy driving record, or need to shop around. I had my 540I and an SVT Contour insured for way less.

For the record, I don't share a wall or a driveway with my neighbours, who are not uptight (although one guy keeps wearing a Leafs jacket...). When I drank beer, I drank it by the campfire without a permit (don't know where you were camping...) in a provincial park. Traffic....I worked in Quebec for a time, and let's just say that I have a vastly different impression of the traffic there than you do. Stupid bylaws....don't get me started on the language cops. And personally, I don't think sorting garbage is enough of a reason to move.

I am comfortable with my choice. Just as you are comfortable with yours.

To be fair, were I in the market for a cottage, I would likely buy on the Quebec side -- I am getting killed on property taxes for my cottage here in ON.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
Living in Quebec and Ontario is about the same (I'v done both), Ontario is cheaper if you do not drive a car. If you do it's more expensive.
In Qubec you save on insurance even if your over 25 +
Why is that? From what I can tell it's the same. When I had both my e30 and e39 insured I was paying less than what Tony is paying, So it doesn't seem like that much of a savings.

Quote:
housing is WAY cheaper
Again, it doesn't seem that different to me. If I look for houses in Ontario the same distance from Ottawa as Buckingham is, the house prices seem similar for what you get. The only ones with shared walls and high pricing are within 10min from downtown. So of course they will be more. Paying for convenience.

Quote:
Such as traffic is fast moving, not bumper to bumper EVERYWERE you go as it is from west end to east on a 400 series hyw?
I dunno about that, I drive the 417 downtown to Kanata and back again every day during rush hour and my average speed is between 130-140km/h, and could be faster if I wanted it to be. The only place it slows is the Kanata Hill (which I avoid anyway by taking the 416) and when coming back downtown right in the Downtown core, which isn't that big a deal because I just hop off the 417 and take a side street.

Quote:
The never ending retarded bylaws
That I agree with, but Quebec is just as bad.
Quote:
Bin for food waste, another for glass, one for paper and yet another for plastic.... Then no wood allowed or car parts and or leaves, appliances till specific days of the year....
I live in an apartment, so I just have one garbage chute for everything
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
carjoe
6th Gear Member

2200 in taxes? I wish...coulda been supercharged by now. Anything in the "Ottawa" region is taxed ridiculously. My friends live in Greely and pay over 3k. Not exactly close by any means.

$4/hour for a housekeeper? WTF?

Car insurance? Geez, I pay 2500/yr for the car, van and truck, granted we're 2 drivers and the car isn't insured in the winter...

On another topic, any one making a snowman this weekend?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #25
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
On another topic, any one making a snowman this weekend?
Nah. Apparently there's some weird-ass bylaw.......

I don't need a snowman, because I have my snow renditions of the Great Wall of China on either side of my driveway. I'm 6'3", and it's getting hard to throw the snow high enough to clear it.

I am seriously considering a snow blower for next year.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I like naked women.. I spent valentines day alone watching Road house naked while eating cheetoh's it was awsome.. Yeah my better half is sleeping for the winter and I can't get in to see her due to the snow...

So Phil you make fires in the summer and drink beer... hmmm A Maxbimmer//Fire/Bbq in the near future

Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #27
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Wouldnt' the Max summer Q be at Tony's place? You know, like a housewarming?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #28
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Wouldnt' the Max summer Q be at Tony's place? You know, like a housewarming?
Maybe Adam's????

Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #29
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

just over the island park/ champlaine bridge theres 2 bdrm condo appartments
(ya know with the communal parking) for like $98K asking.

$5K down $12K a year in payments.. you could have that paid off in less then 10yrs.

my turbo 318 (that theres no emmission tests on) costs $300 a year for liability
1000cc motorbike is less then $100 for liability
Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
just over the island park/ champlaine bridge theres 2 bdrm condo appartments
(ya know with the communal parking) for like $98K asking.

$5K down $12K a year in payments.. you could have that paid off in less then 10yrs.

my turbo 318 (that theres no emmission tests on) costs $300 a year for liability
1000cc motorbike is less then $100 for liability
Nice but what sucks about condos is you have your fees (around $200)every month, one parking spot My buddy has a condo in Quebec pys $1000 a month plus $200 a month(for life) for condo fees. He paid $150K for it. It's not bad, but it's not super big. It's good if you are old and lazy and don't like to work around the house and have to worry about snow removal and your grass. I'll stick to a $180K house with taxes in for under $1100 a month. If I buy a $180K house in Qubec with 0$ down I can have it paid off in about 5 years, no penalty..(I'd have no life but it is doable)

1000cc motorbike, if it's a street bike it's over $600 a year just for your license in Qubec, as per the SAAQ website(new pricing) along with our license being every year instead of every 2 years and pricing went up for that as well.

Anyway enough of that, enjoy the snow that's coming down right now.. and I'm off for the Daytona 500

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: