Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
9stretch9
2nd Gear Member

where can i find the lower compression head gasket

hey guys i was wondering if any of you guys know where i can find a lower compression head gasket that all the turbo guys use on the 325's 28's and m3's...closer to mississauga the better i guess...also needed some head studs..any help is greatly appreciated thanks
9stretch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Not sure who can get u an MLS gasket for these motors locally. But I know you can order them online from VAC Motorsports in the US.

Head studs aren't a problem. Any competent motorsports shop here in TO will be able to get you either ARP or Raceware studs.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Furious
BMW again.

yeah VAC is where i ordered mine from.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

I can get the Headgaseket and studs.

Please call me at the shop for more info and pricing!

Rocco

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
9stretch9
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks alot for the help
9stretch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

FYI . just in case you haven't gotten your gasket yet, theres a couple new options out there for Sxx/Mxx engines. I rsaw a couple posts on bf.c already and it really sounds like theres another even better one still coming down the pipeline soon. The MLS's are known to leak after time, I've been holding out as long as possible to order mine in hopes that something I feel is better will come out (but there is only so long someone can wait right).

I will probably just end up getting a .140" Cometic and replacing it next year when it blows but I'm keeping my fingers crossed right now.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
ziff
2nd Gear Member

The biggest mistake an engine builder can do is use a head gasket of that thickness. What you want is a gasket of original thickness(.070-.080)or even thinner,like .060 multi-layered.What .140 would cause is a more detenation.You want the best cumbustion chamber "sqish" possible. When any manufacterer designs an engine they design it with no head gasket. By altering the shape of the chamber youre asking for trouble. If youre using a tec3r system you can set the map anyway you want. Higher compression and less boost on a stock bottom end would make you more power. Your engine would last alot longer as well.
PS. I'm speaking from experience.We tried that route about 3 years ago.It always ends up "deting"at around 11-14psi boost, regardless of fuel and map.
Meth. injection would help, but don't waste your time.
ziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziff View Post
The biggest mistake an engine builder can do is use a head gasket of that thickness. What you want is a gasket of original thickness(.070-.080)or even thinner,like .060 multi-layered.What .140 would cause is a more detenation.You want the best cumbustion chamber "sqish" possible. When any manufacterer designs an engine they design it with no head gasket. By altering the shape of the chamber youre asking for trouble. If youre using a tec3r system you can set the map anyway you want. Higher compression and less boost on a stock bottom end would make you more power. Your engine would last alot longer as well.
PS. I'm speaking from experience.We tried that route about 3 years ago.It always ends up "deting"at around 11-14psi boost, regardless of fuel and map.
Meth. injection would help, but don't waste your time.
While I completely understand your opinion and what your trying to say but the thick headgaskets have more than proven themselves on the Mxx/Sxx motors. Try looking up cardcounter on bimmerforums.com, he was pretty much theposter boy for this, 704rwhp when he still had completely stock internal with only the 0.140" gasket (obv on race gas). There are also dozens of other dudes with similar success (look up technique tuning stage 2 turbo 400whp+ over and over with stock pistons and lower compression head gasket). You must have been running some really aggressive timing that cause you to knock at 11psi, I think you'd have benefited big time from a proper tune.

Theres no doubt that a built motor with dished pistons that maintain the proper quench area is best but when your on a budget, lower compression with a thick headgasket will make VERY good power on these motors. Trying to make 500whp while maintaining the stock 10:1 compression is alot more risky than just lowering the compression and running more boost.

Anyway, just don't want to see anyone having tere bubble busted thinking they have to spend tons of money with a built bottom end to lower comression, IMO from all the cars that are kickin around now there is no point in building a motor for anything less than 500whp unless your motor goes. I'll be building my m52 with a 0.140" headgasket to get my compression down and I'll be running 15psi, later on if I decide to go for mega power I'll build a motor but unitl then I'll save my $$$$

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: