Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Hmmm, I don't know about 'eating more'. There was a major study (the largest of its kind) just released from Europe that studied thousands of ppl over many years. Their conclusion: the caloric content of what you eat is by far the largest contributing factor to fat levels in the body. Eat too many, get fat. Eat too few, lose weight.

There are lots of other factors, but over the long haul (which ANY and ALL weight plans should adhere too) this is the main factor. There are also lots of false signals, like weight 'bounce' when you start a diet, etc, but they will all level off. If you ate 300 calories less on average per day, in ten days (3000 calories) that would roughly equate to one pound.
while i didn't say specify what to eat 'more of' its assumed it would be healthier hopefully

you can still eat less calories then current - but spread it out in smaller sums over many feedings
in this way you are 'eating more' but it will still equal less calories.

and there are alot of studies out there..
I mean i watched some1 lose weight eating bacon, steak, raw butter.. Yes Raw butter
bread is like kryptonite to the atkins followers.

Quote:
Also, ppl tend to gain 2 pounds per year extra as they age. This has been linked directly to overeating on the typical holidays that people have. Like Xmas, thanksgiving, birthday, family birthdays, anniversaries. Overeat just 1000 calories (easy to do with deserts), 6 times a year and you'll gain 2 pounds. It happens so slowly your bodies metabolism doesn't change,
therefore you put on the weight as fat.

After 20 years (40 old) you are suddenly quite overweight
, like all of Florida.

Just my thoughts. I read a lot of Scientific American. :p
yeah as you get older typically you exercise less or get lazy (age, injury), whatever the reasons.

so again some go buy eating healthy multiple x's a day to keep the chemical process active ..
constantly working to digest. in this way your metabolism never goes into 'im starving fat storage' mode.

read up on starvation. did you know that when you feel thirsty you're already dehydrated?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

here a good article (not selling anything)

Quote:

Health & Fitness: Fundamentals of Nutrition Part II - Metabolism

Metabolism plays a huge role in why we look the way we do. The older we get the slower our metabolism gets. This has to do with the decrease in hormonal levels as we age, namely growth hormone and testosterone for males and estrogen and progesterone for females (hormones that are already present in the body).

Fast and Slow Metabolism

I believe that this concept of fast and slow metabolism has more to do with what our bodies have a tendency to burn as a source of energy. Fats, carbs, or protein. We all know that it is possible to eat in a way that that will force our bodies into catabolism (the breakdown of muscle as an energy source) For example: skipping meals for one. So when you hear people talking about a fast metabolism or a slow metabolism, I think they are really referring to how much fat your metabolism burns as well as at what rate. In the hopes of trying to gain weight, someone with a fast metabolism would have to eat enough calories to support the speed of their metabolism and then a few hundred calories more per day to support the growing process. The growing process of muscle not fat, so eating everything in sight is still not a good idea. Sticking to quality calories is best, trying to stay away from sugary foods and saturated fats is a good idea. I believe these kinds of foods can help encourage your metabolism to slow down because of the effect it has on insulin levels. So stick to an eating plan that is high in protein, complex carbohydrates and quality fats (not to mention the obvious fruits and vegetables).

The same way a person with a slower metabolism can turn their metabolism around to a fast one, A person with a faster metabolism can slow down their metabolism by making poor food choices according to the glycemic index.
Sugar is the enemy. Stay away from sugars and excessive carbs, regardless of the fact that they are fat free. Your body will turn excessive calories into whatever it wants. Considering we are all mammals, we are therefor fat storing animals and any excessive calories will get converted into fat and then stored. Genetically our metabolisms will always have a tendency to be more like the way we were born, thanks to our parents.
But I believe that the way our parents fed us from the time we were infants to mid adolescence plays a role in the conditioning of our bodies to be faster or slower. This can not be said for all, but the United States does not have the reputation for having the highest percentage of obese people because the majority of the country was genetically born that way. Activity level and the way in which we ingest food and the type of foods chosen plays a much larger role than most of us think. If you tend to have a slower metabolism it is just easier to come to terms with this if you blame it on genetics. I understand that some individuals have medical conditions surrounding this issue but, there are many people, even some bodybuilders, who use this slow metabolism as an excuse for their shortcomings. Having a slow metabolism can be beneficial if one is trying to gain weight, both fat and muscle. When it comes to dieting one must be more careful with the foods consumed if one is trying to get leaner. The best way to get your metabolism to speed it up is through weight lifting and increasing lean body mass. The second best way is through eating techniques. The way to do this is to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. It helps to get your complex carbs in the morning and gradually cut them out as the day goes on.

#1 WAY TO SPEED YOUR METABOLISM
The best and most effective way to speed your metabolism is to increase your lean body mass. By stimulating muscle growth and hormone release through intense weight training is the best way to increase the speed of a slow or slowing metabolism. Muscle is living active tissue that requires caloric expenditure for survival. The more muscle you have the more calories your body has to burn on a daily basis to maintain that tissue. If and when you stop training and begin to lose muscle, your metabolism can slow down, and you can gain weight if you don't drop your caloric expenditure.

#2 WAY TO SPEED YOUR METABOLISM
The second fastest way to speed your metabolism has to do with your diet. There are two main points that come into play here. The first is the type of foods you consume and the second is the way in which you consume those foods. A diet that is balanced and consists of complex carbohydrates, quality protein, mono-unsaturated fats and plenty of fiberous carbs just about does it. As far as giving your body what it needs so your metabolism doesn't slow due to a depletion of something somewhere in your diet. In other words give your body everything healthy it could possible be looking for. To add the second equation into the mix to help get your metabolism to speed up and burn more fat, now eat these quality foods throughout the day. Not just at two or even three sittings. Eat smaller meals and more of them. Six meals a day is about what you should be shooting for.

http://www.mikedangelo.com/health/articles/nutritionII/
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
bmdoubleya
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Like I commented on the 'tube.. if you wanna lose some weight, play some squash with me. At full tilt squash burns 450+ calories per 30 mins session in a person weighing 190#s. Higher burn if you're heavier!

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2003..._1001feat.html

I love squash where do you play.?
bmdoubleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

first time in my life I feel like I can do anything !! been eating vege's and chicken for the last 2 weeks ... I gave into mcdonalds
tonight and omg it was good !! bahahaha talk about discipline it's neat to hear how everyone deals with there fat
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #20
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

I would be an extremely happy man if I never had to see you dancing in your boxers ever again
oldskool3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #21
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

ya i wont let it happen again haha
Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdoubleya View Post
I love squash where do you play.?
Good life @ pinecrest. I have a membership there through my wife's work, otherwise its really expensive for a membership, but if anyone wants to play with me, its $10 I believe for a non-member.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Good life @ pinecrest. I have a membership there through my wife's work, otherwise its really expensive for a membership, but if anyone wants to play with me, its $10 I believe for a non-member.
I have a free squash court in my apartment building...too bad I don't play squash.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

You should. And you should invite Dave and I over for a game. It's really fun with three people as you can rotate out so you don't get too tired.

I've even got a spare racquet!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #25
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You should. And you should invite Dave and I over for a game. It's really fun with three people as you can rotate out so you don't get too tired.

I've even got a spare racquet!
I think you underestimate my lazyness!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Man, go get a nintendo WII one hour of boxing and you burn over 600 Cals..

Or do like me pay 5K to Dr Nick and get 40 pounds sucked out with a vacuum, diets are for pussies, be a real man and cut yourself open and remove the fat yourself.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #27
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is View Post
Man, go get a nintendo WII one hour of boxing and you burn over 600 Cals..

Or do like me pay 5K to Dr Nick and get 40 pounds sucked out with a vacuum, diets are for pussies, be a real man and cut yourself open and remove the fat yourself.

tooo funny!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #28
jeffrie
Addict

Same comments from both Adams and what ever Everlast's real name is?
I assume another Adam but thinking Jason...

All share pretty much the same aspect for weight loss, yet they all also share the same body type, Lean & Mean.

Their also all ignoring body type.
Their also all med boned in their frame structure.

IMO Bear after meeting you knowing your size you need to replace fat with mucle and I enforce not the type steroids or caroteine will give you, the real kind were your bone mass has time to build and physical mass isn't just built up water. + it will stay after for years if you do it right even after/if you give up the hobby.

Your large boned well porportioned and mucle also helps rais your motabilizm as Adam preposed (who cares witch with so many) without the habit of eating too much during the day.

You met me and beleive it or not I bench 220 free weights in reps of 8 @ 6 sets and do nothing but drink lots of beer and eat steak. & I only weigh170 lbs.

Read all the stats you want, chances are you'll always fail if you follow them. You need to experiment with something you'll keep but listin to others for advice for when you finaly see what you lack.

Some work better with competition, some better without, I do think powerhouse and no loss is the way to go as fat will easily turn into mucle if need be.
Your bigger then all of us for a reason, enbrace it and be Ottawa's "BIG D" but "BIG B" instead.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 01-24-2008 at 02:04 AM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #29
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

Jeff, at least 5 lbs of you is in that ponytail.

And for you Barry, if you want the least time commitment possible, I would go to the gym twice a week, Monday, Thursday and do nothing but:

Monday: bench press, military press, and some seated cable rows. All 5x5 + 1x8warm-up.
Thursday: barbell squats, dead lifts, and hamstring curls. All 5x5 + 1x8warm-up.

That's going to work almost every muscle in your body, and promote muscle growth. It'll take about 30-45 minutes of your time.

The only thing I would recommend is to go with someone who knows about these exercises. They require heavy weights and form is critical to avoid injury on some exercises.

You can dance in your underwear the other days for cardio if you really want.

Last edited by Jamil20; 01-24-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Jamil20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #30
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil20 View Post
Jeff, at least 5 lbs of you is in that ponytail.
OH snap!! no you just didnt!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: