Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #256
///Maluco
5erholic

^^^Left-hand drive too!

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #257
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Here you go Dave! http://www.stayclassyatlanta.com/?p=2906

Something for you guys to look at while I get some progress over here lollll. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #258
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Small progress today. Got the passenger side seat rails welded in, and also patched one small looney sized hole in the driver floor that was driving me crazy. Hopefully more stuff and pics for tomorrow!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #259
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Progress shots!

My passenger seat bars from yesterday:

The usual argument between my Dad and I about how to come up with solutions for stuff popped up again when the subject of gas pedal came up. There was three main ways in my head how to do this. One was a super complicated collection of cable, some pivoting lever, and the throttle brackets and rods from the original pedal box and up to the firewall and link them together. Two (my main idea) was simply a looooonnngg cable that was attached to the pedal, ran back towards the driver, and looped around, and back into the engine bay and hooking up to the throttle body. Three (Dads idea) was using the E30 mechanism from my parts car and pretty much plunking that in. I was opposed to it because of the linkage that runs inside the car, as I didn't like the idea of being able to see it. It ended up being the solution that was taken.

First, I cut out a square for the plug from the throttle cable to fit into (318i M10 cable). I ended up making this panel twice, because the hole ended up being way too big the first time around

Once that was sorted, I riveted the new square holed panel into the firewall inside one of the holes IIRC the cars' wiring harness passes through.

Runs pretty nice, almost as if it was supposed to be here in the bay:

Next was to drill the brackets out of the E30's firewall that hold the linkage in the car. Was that ever a bitch, the car sitting outside baking, it was an oven in there! I must have lost a few pounds in a few minutes just from sweat lol. After that quick episode, I had to lengthen one linkage tab, and tack them into place. Unfortunately, they had to be moved around a few times in order to not interfere with anything like the other pedals, steering column, etc... Here it is mocked up in probably the 4th spot with a few tacks. Finally everything seems to clear each other, and works great!

Here is how it more less looks. I will have to see how the pedal alignment is once I drive it... I am almost thinking the gas will need to be moved towards the firewall more so it lines up better with the brake when depressed for smoother heel-toe action.

So that pedal there is a broken E30 gas pedal. I had lost the original 2002 pedal ages ago... and didn't feel like buying one, especially since now the setup is quite different from a normal 2002. So I started to muck around with a thickish piece of steel...

DAMN. This might work!! Kind of ripping the idea from the E30 DTM cars with the 4 flared holes. I made this with a hole saw, press, some odd sized pipes, vice and a hammer... no fancy dies or metal brakes here! Not perfect, but hey, for some fun project I didn't care if it went anywhere, I'll give it a shot.

Just plopped it in to see what it looks like. A bit wider than I would have liked, but I'll run with it. Going to go tomorrow to the hardware store and see what kind of heavy duty hinges I can buy.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #260
craz azn
6th Gear Member

All the hardware and hinges are attached! I am thinking to make a base on the floor to raise the pedal up as well as making an attachment point for the bottom hinge. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Almost forgot, I will need to make an adjustable stop too... might just weld a nut onto the back of the pedal and put a bolt in there that taps the floor.

(still have to remove the original throttle rod in the pedal box lol)

Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #261
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I will need to make an adjustable stop too... might just weld a nut onto the back of the pedal and put a bolt in there that taps the floor.
Unless you put a spacer between the nut and the pedal that won't really give you any adjustability. I'd just drill a hole in the floor pan and do something like this
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #262
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Sure it could. There is a big enough edge on the pedal that I could weld a small 6mm nut on there (even an 8mm nut would be fine, but thats overkill I think) and have tons of travel for a bolt. You haven't seen the assortment of nicely plated hardware I have access too either

Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #263
jm1602
5th Gear Member

I like it

The linkage looks more solid than the stock business that runs through the tranny tunnel. You also
won't have to jack the car to get to it, and if anything breaks or you want to make changes at some point, it's all right there in the open. Like the home made loud pedal as well.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #264
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Sure it could. There is a big enough edge on the pedal that I could weld a small 6mm nut on there (even an 8mm nut would be fine, but thats overkill I think) and have tons of travel for a bolt. You haven't seen the assortment of nicely plated hardware I have access too either
True, without seeing a picture of the back side of the pedals (unless that was on a previous page and I missed it) it's hard to tell what's going on back there, but I see where you're coming from now.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #265
craz azn
6th Gear Member

So... bad news. Obviously, the car won't be in a driving condition for this weekend which was my goal (Trillium school at Mosport) so I've decided to reset my goal to have it running for an upcoming track day I signed up for waaaaayyyy back at the beginning of the year which is happening on the 26th of this month... Pipe dream?

Lol.

Anyways, I got the interior painted up over the past two evenings. Rewinding back to the weekend, I also had made a base for the gas pedal to sit on, which I don't think I took any pictures of. Here is the freshly painted inside. I am itching to put the dash and seats in... and race on my imaginary Nurburgring

Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #266
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Looking good dude!
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #267
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
an upcoming track day I signed up for waaaaayyyy back at the beginning of the year which is happening on the 26th of this month... Pipe dream?
The BMW Toronto HPDE?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #268
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Looking good dude!
Thanks Jeremy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
The BMW Toronto HPDE?
Yessir! I started instructing with them this spring, great group to run with for sure! They usually have a few pro drivers too onhand instructing. Pretty cool!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #269
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Oh sweet Georgia
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #270
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

I like your build. I've been following it for a while.

Question: The interior, did you use tremclad white paint in spray car, roll it with a thinned out version, or did you bust out a real spray gun?

Have you considered this product (mostly available in the states at Walmart and Autozone.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: