Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #226
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Finally got a free day which I could direct some time towards the 2002. Started to hack away at the rear fenders so the arch won't create an addition tread pattern in my tires. After a quick romp with the dremel tool verified that I would be there for ages cutting this thick metal, I dug out a cutoff wheel and fired up the grinder. THREE layers later of metal, and I could see the inside of the car... no wonder these cars rust out with all that junk that was in between. Besides the goop, sound deadening, dust/dirt/crap that finds its way in there after 40 some odd years... yeah, one of those times overkill become a bit umm... detrimental to a car in a northern climate. Anywho... a bit of choppy choppy later, and I had a few bits on the ground:

After a bit of hammering around, and raising the slots a bit higher... and more hammering, I got the metal into a shape I think would provide enough clearance. Afterall.. I only plan to run a 225... considering you can fit 225s under near-stock fenders... this is already overkill.

It was a bit difficult to weld, mostly because of the goo from the glue and sound deadening crap that would catch on fire and/or contaminate the weld. For the most part, it is strong enough, and I will just seam sealer the holes from the inside so there won't be any issues.

All done!

The sides blend in somewhat okay to my liking. At least there isn't any sharp bits!

Hopefully I can finish the other side tomorrow without getting sidetracked too much.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #227
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Like I said before, and I'll say it again... I am pretty confident I can make this paint look good. Maybe not perfect, but definitely good enough for a car that will get most of its use at the racetrack.

Yeah don't mind the windex bottle... my phone sucks for pics. But you can see how much the texture changed, all within a 5 min span (quick wetsand w/random sandpaper and hit it quick with a cutting compound), and all by hand. Imagine how that will look when I cut it with a proper polisher!

Before: (fridge-like as John put it lol)

After:

Getting there! Unfortunately in other spots, I am starting to get lazy with the bodywork prep just so I can hopefully finish it before this years track season ends. I am also pondering what to do for a hood, as both hoods I have for this car are quite rusty...

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #228
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

You know...I might just have to try this roller paint thing! Nice job!

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #229
craz azn
6th Gear Member

^ Thanks! Its definitely worth a try. What I am eager to find out is how durable the paint will be. Hopefully it won't just chip that easy or I'll be mighty disappointed.

Got home a bit early today and decided to try and retest fit the Oldschools for the fun of it. Mmmmmmmm.... and that is only with a 16mm spacer. I am shooting for a 20mm.. and cramming a 225 onto that rim instead of that 205. Should look and hopefully fit well!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #230
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Looks great! Are you keeping the flares white as well?
desmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #231
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Yup! For now anyways...

Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #232
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

You're getting there Rudy. You do plan on licensing this for the street I hope?
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #233
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhavana View Post
You're getting there Rudy. You do plan on licensing this for the street I hope?
Maybe. I'll have to talk to Richard on that one and see if he can help me out with that But for this season, I don't think I'll have time for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #234
///Maluco
5erholic

niiiiiice....looking slick Rudy! Flares are awesome!!!
Keep on going dude.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #235
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

holy cow nice!

I had no idea you had the skills!

awesome project keep it up
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #236
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys!

I finally got another fuel pump relay and an ignition unit. Sweet! I'll maybe look at some wiring this weekend, get my mind off sanding...

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #237
craz azn
6th Gear Member

More progress this weekend! Got a shifter installed... interestingly with pretty much all OEM BMW parts, but nothing really majorly 2002 lol. Not sure what the base is from, but it was only a hair too short. Easily dealt with that problem by spacing the base out from the trans. The base holders I found already had delrin inserts pressed in from a previous life, so that worked out perfect. I chopped up an E30 Rad support rubber to insulate the rear of the base to the body. No solid shift bases for me!! I'd like to make a DSSR soon, but this will do for now.

Today, I took another look at my fuel lines I had fabbed up a few weeks back. After a few weeks of letting that solution simmer, I felt that it wasn't good enough, so I took another crack at it and made them fit up against the body much tighter than they were previous. I still need to weld a few more studs into the body to hold the clips on.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #238
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Fuel line goodness

I like it. Nice and clean.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #239
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
shweeeeeeeeeet.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #240
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Not that it's likely but if your driveshaft were ever to fail (u-joint or support bearing) I can see the potential for one or both of those lines to get damaged and potentially leak and if the exhaust is running down the middle that could be a bad combination.

Again, very highly unlikely as you won't have driveshaft shattering power in this car and you can hear the u-joint and bearing going bad long before they'll explode but it did cross my mind when I looked at those pictures.

Looks good though, nice fitment

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: