Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
South
4th Gear Member

Appraisal for engine swapped car question

My friend has a car older than 20 years. So it will need appraisal for registration.
He doesn't know whether to get it appraised before he does an engine swap upgrade or after.

Will MTO tax the appraised value?
He wants full coverage on it too, will insurance recognize the engine swap value?
97 540i6 ACS - 2016-present
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member

Just get two appraisals!
MTO just needs their green form filled out, and there's tons of licensed guys on kijiji that will do it, some even with mobile service coming to your house. Sixty to eighty bucks or so and they say they'll keep the number low but reasonable - even says so in the ads pretty explicitly. So with that in mind i'd say appraise it before you swap the engine.

For insurance, some providers often require an independent one, so you can find whoever you want and make sure you get the highest number you want that reflects what you feel is the value of the car and the work put into it (which would obviously be different than the wholesale value the gov't wants)! Either way, I don't think you're obliged to use the same appraisal (but please correct me if i'm wrong!).

Last edited by Sea Aych; 10-19-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: ninja edit - misread your question slightly
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
South
4th Gear Member

^that was helpful thankyou
97 540i6 ACS - 2016-present
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

i do them six47 298 six856

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
GeoS
Dogleg 1st Gear Newbie

The tax paid is based on the purchase price or wholesale value (whichever is higher). Appraisal value does not affect it.

Most of the typical insurance companies would not insure heavily modified cars (e.g. engine swap) as a daily driver. He will need to shop around. If he finds one, then they would most likely go with a very low car value due to the age. He would need an appraisal if getting a policy with an agreed upon value.

The hobby insurance would need an appraisal but not permit use as a daily driver.

GeoS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
dbworld4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoS View Post
The tax paid is based on the purchase price or wholesale value (whichever is higher). Appraisal value does not affect it.

Incorrect. An appraisal, using the Ministry’s own forms, completed by a MTO licensed appraiser, is what is used to determine the value used to calculate HST.

If an appraisal is not done (as with 99% of normal car registrations), then it’s paid on the purchase price or wholesale price, whichever is greater.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Sea Aych
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoS View Post
The tax paid is based on the purchase price or wholesale value (whichever is higher). Appraisal value does not affect it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Incorrect. An appraisal, using the Ministry’s own forms, completed by a MTO licensed appraiser, is what is used to determine the value used to calculate HST.

If an appraisal is not done (as with 99% of normal car registrations), then it’s paid on the purchase price or wholesale price, whichever is greater.

To echo that, cars over 20 years old will always need the appraisal if you're registering it as a regular car in Ontario.
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: