Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

How much longer will Max be around?

Other than people coming on to buy/sell stuff, there's not a whole lot going on here anymore . Traffic has been slowly declining over the past several years, or at least it seems that way.

I'd imagine there's a break point somewhere... I guess as long as the sponsors are chipping in enough to cover the servers we'll be online?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Got to stay strong, and not let this forums die!!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
Got to stay strong, and not let this forums die!!
I'd love it if the mods unlocked thread editing... I have build threads now full of dead links because of photobucket. I'd like to go back and fix all the links as I find time to do it.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
doogee
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Definitely not like the good old days! Seems everyone has shifted to BMW True North. I personally cannot stand that group.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Definitely not like the good old days! Seems everyone has shifted to BMW True North. I personally cannot stand that group.
Yes, the whole industry has changed, BMW's are becoming disposable vehicles, not much in terms of mods or swaps are being done, unless you consider "what angel eyes bulb should i use" or "what is the best place to wrap my car" as being mods! In the best case; tune, catless, and rims (80% reps). Maybe I'm just getting old...but slowly loosing faith in the "new generation" of enthusiasts.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 70+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I'd love it if the mods unlocked thread editing... I have build threads now full of dead links because of photobucket. I'd like to go back and fix all the links as I find time to do it.
Start with your sig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Heaven View Post
Yes, the whole industry has changed, BMW's are becoming disposable vehicles, not much in terms of mods or swaps are being done, unless you consider "what angel eyes bulb should i use" or "what is the best place to wrap my car" as being mods! In the best case; tune, catless, and rims (80% reps). Maybe I'm just getting old...but slowly loosing faith in the "new generation" of enthusiasts.
Same reason I have a hard time choosing a new bimmer. Aside from the M2/M235, there isn't a fun, light(ish), nimble newer BMW.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Start with your sig!
Working on it, I felt like the build thread pics were more important to start with
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Heaven View Post
100% agree.

Quote:
Start with your sig!

Same reason I have a hard time choosing a new bimmer. Aside from the M2/M235, there isn't a fun, light(ish), nimble newer BMW.
Even those cars are built with poor materials and age badly, though. The M235/M240 have awful steering feel too, not sure how people live with them. Feels like a video game.

Grab onto your pre-F-code BMWs and maintain them like crazy. Because it's all downhill from here.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
100% agree.
Even those cars are built with poor materials and age badly, though. The M235/M240 have awful steering feel too, not sure how people live with them. Feels like a video game.

Grab onto your pre-F-code BMWs and maintain them like crazy. Because it's all downhill from here.
I haven't driven the M235, but that's sad to hear. Wonder if it an be improved with upgraded bushings/etc.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Mystikal

Quote:
I haven't driven the M235, but that's sad to hear. Wonder if it an be improved with upgraded bushings/etc.
It took me a few years to get behind the wheel of one, and even after suspension upgrades were installed (and brand new P4S rubber) there was absolutely zero steering feel. Tons of weight, just no feel. The blame is the electric steering assist, which confuses me because the E85 Z4 came out in 2002 and had electric steering with decent feel. Not sure how BMW is screwing up the steering feel this much, Porsche and Mazda seem to have made the transition perfectly.

But the overall quality is the biggest turn-off for me. Interior plastics are wearing extremely poorly in the F3x and F2x cars, my clients with 200k all have shiny patches on the armrests wherever their elbows and fingers touch frequently. HVAC and radio buttons wearing off. Not even going to talk about all of the beautiful aluminum suspension components in the E9x and E8x cars that they reverted back to steel. Plastic oil pans. Universal components all over the engine bays. Just gross, cost-cutting techniques one is used to seeing from non-German makes.

I hate what BMW has become.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
It took me a few years to get behind the wheel of one, and even after suspension upgrades were installed (and brand new P4S rubber) there was absolutely zero steering feel. Tons of weight, just no feel. The blame is the electric steering assist, which confuses me because the E85 Z4 came out in 2002 and had electric steering with decent feel. Not sure how BMW is screwing up the steering feel this much, Porsche and Mazda seem to have made the transition perfectly.

But the overall quality is the biggest turn-off for me. Interior plastics are wearing extremely poorly in the F3x and F2x cars, my clients with 200k all have shiny patches on the armrests wherever their elbows and fingers touch frequently. HVAC and radio buttons wearing off. Not even going to talk about all of the beautiful aluminum suspension components in the E9x and E8x cars that they reverted back to steel. Plastic oil pans. Universal components all over the engine bays. Just gross, cost-cutting techniques one is used to seeing from non-German makes.

I hate what BMW has become.
Ewww... they're cheaping out even more than I heard. All so they can compete at the entry level with VW's and Accords.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a clownshoe M-Coupe or supercharge a BRZ.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
100% agree.
So....can you guys enable post editing for OP's in threads?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Still dedicated to max. I enjoy all the people that are on it. Local people with a variety of cars, ages and skills. It's the environment I prefer.

Neighbor brought home the M2 last week. Nice, but not my style. It needs more grunt for a new M car IMO.

Good call on the clown shoe, but still expensive; especially the S54.

Still say the last real M car is the E90/92 M3....

��
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Valid thread. I am also part of the problem as I hardly visit/post on Max anymore. BMW TN is a bunch of morons, like real, inexcusable morons, I am glad they banned me for calling them out.

Filip's comments are dead on too.

Anyway, it looks like the US forums are doing well, perhaps not as visited as once upon a time, but still a lot more info/content/discussion/new threads coming up.

The chassis specific FB groups are 95% nonsense too. The same cars being posted over and over, followed by threads on what mileage everyone has on their cars and how "cheap" they bought theirs....

It really doesn't bring much reason to discuss/post anymore.

I just lurk in the shadows and search google for information when I need it...

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 08-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
So....can you guys enable post editing for OP's in threads?
Would if I could. I'm not certain the reasoning behind that decision anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: