Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
philthy328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to philthy328
Bmw M3 e30 FS.... Scam?

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=218811

scam?
philthy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
for $4500? yes it's a scam, no way a E30 M3 in that condition cost so little, that M3 is worth minimum $15,000-20,000.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
philthy328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to philthy328
hahah i thought so, my friend just wouldnt believe me
philthy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Quack
Wheelman

tell him that a E30 M3 shell cost more than $4500, I remember someone on here was selling a rolling chassis for $8000.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Shoes R
Shoes R

you'd be an idiot to pay 15,000 -20,000 for that car, you can get a rolling shell for a 2grand i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a 18 year old M3 I dont know why people think they are gold, maybe when there is 1000 left in the world they'd be worth that much my dad's 1970 MACH1 is a special order and very few were made with this colour combination and motor set-up and he only piad 4500 for it and thats with the car full of parts 2 sets of craigers, 4 bucket seats 2 back seats 2 dash boards a fiber glass hood and a steel hood, fiber glass doors new full quaters new fenders.... the parts we got you couldn't get for 4500 bucks... you never know the situation that the seller is in, but I wouldn't buy a car with out taking a look over it first try and contact the seller and see where he's located and talk to him
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Quack
Wheelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyclxton View Post
you'd be an idiot to pay 15,000 -20,000 for that car, you can get a rolling shell for a 2grand i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a 18 year old M3 I dont know why people think they are gold, maybe when there is 1000 left in the world they'd be worth that much my dad's 1970 MACH1 is a special order and very few were made with this colour combination and motor set-up and he only piad 4500 for it and thats with the car full of parts 2 sets of craigers, 4 bucket seats 2 back seats 2 dash boards a fiber glass hood and a steel hood, fiber glass doors new full quaters new fenders.... the parts we got you couldn't get for 4500 bucks... you never know the situation that the seller is in, but I wouldn't buy a car with out taking a look over it first try and contact the seller and see where he's located and talk to him

sounds like you don't know much about E30 M3's, I've been looking for them for years, was planning on getting one as a track car, I thought a $10,000 budget was good, and it was, it you're lucky, but after a year gone by the price for a decent E30 M3 went up to $12,000, and the price went up every year, I agree with you that they are overpriced, but it's almost impossible to find a good condition E30 M3's for under $10,000, unless it doesn't have the S14 motor & has been written off, if you check on the autotrader right now there is one for sale, the seller is asking $24,000, it is crazy I know.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a 18 year old M3 I dont know why people think they are gold
And that's exactly why you'll never own one. The market is up there, just because you don't "feel" that the price is fair doesn't mean it isn't realistic.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

YEs, there's something madly wrong with that ad. I luv the bit about the redline. Oh yeah.

Quote:
you'd be an idiot to pay 15,000 -20,000 for that car, you can get a rolling shell for a 2grand i wouldn't pay more than 10K for a 18 year old M3 I dont know why people think they are gold, maybe when there is 1000 left in the world they'd be worth that much
I luv it when people say stupid azz shit like this. You really have no clue and are just pulling crap outta your azz to try and come off sounding like you know something about the market. Well, let me bring you up to speed. You know nothing about the value of E30 M3's if you make such an idiotic statement. And your personal opinion of the value has really no bearing in the real world. So next time you feel it's necessary to make a comment, ask yourself this........ do I really know what the fuk I'm talking about or am I just acting like a dumbazz to waste bandwidth on the MAX ??????

And it's fine if it's your own personal opinion as that's what the internet and forums are for........ but a rolling shell is not a solid car that's on the road and worthy............ especially when it comes to M3's. Put one together ......... and then come report back how you spent only $10K. Not possible unless it's a total piece of unsorted shit. Ask me how I know...................

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW, 2007 Z4M Roadster, 2002 325CI

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T, Honda CRV (!!)

Last edited by tominizer; 04-29-2008 at 08:39 AM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
bahaha, pretty brave statement even for someone who knows martial arts. the e330 m3 was an engineering breakthrough. ok hers something to think about, say ur friend gets kidnapped, u might pay 20 grand to get him back while i probably wouldnt care too much. Its all about what it means to u and obviously u dont care mainly because you dont appreciate it due to the lack of knoledge about this car.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
jello_g
4th Gear Member

The E30 M3 is worth what the market will bear. Thanks and have a nice day!

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
jello_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
the e330 m3 was an engineering breakthrough
What about it is an engineering breakthrough, exactly? Even for its time, it wasn't especially dominant. It had a helluva time with the AMG 190s and Cosworth Fords. The E36 mechanicals were far more of an engineering marvel but they were still hardly breakthroughs. The late 80's hondas had more advanced running gear and suspension than the E30 M3 (double wishbone and variable valve timing).

What makes the E30 great is that it's super light, rwd, independent suspension little bucket that's a huge pile of fun to drive. But the M3 doesn't offer anything terribly special over a stock E30, purely mechanically and performance speaking. There's an article out there comparing the 325i and the M3 and the testers actually preferred the flexibility of the i6, which while on paper lagging in power, pulled harder in most cases.

And like I said for the price of a mint Evo3 nowadays, you can get a used S2000 which is a better car in every way.

Again, I'm not questioning people's appreciation of this car. I'm a die-hard E34 M5 lover, even though the latest Camry would kill it in a race. I love the car for reasons no one who doesn't already understand, ever will. But let's not go crazy and call it any kind of miracle of engineering.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
What about it is an engineering breakthrough, exactly? Even for its time, it wasn't especially dominant. It had a helluva time with the AMG 190s and Cosworth Fords. The E36 mechanicals were far more of an engineering marvel but they were still hardly breakthroughs. The late 80's hondas had more advanced running gear and suspension than the E30 M3 (double wishbone and variable valve timing).

What makes the E30 great is that it's super light, rwd, independent suspension little bucket that's a huge pile of fun to drive. But the M3 doesn't offer anything terribly special over a stock E30, purely mechanically and performance speaking. There's an article out there comparing the 325i and the M3 and the testers actually preferred the flexibility of the i6, which while on paper lagging in power, pulled harder in most cases.

And like I said for the price of a mint Evo3 nowadays, you can get a used S2000 which is a better car in every way.

Again, I'm not questioning people's appreciation of this car. I'm a die-hard E34 M5 lover, even though the latest Camry would kill it in a race. I love the car for reasons no one who doesn't already understand, ever will. But let's not go crazy and call it any kind of miracle of engineering.
This man knows what he is talking about.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:

First of all lets see in 20 years from now what the S2000 will be worth.
Secondly the E30 was a far superior car than the Merc 190 and the Cossies. It took Ford to get close to 600bhp to beat the 300bhp M3 on track and in some cases did not even manage it (apart from the fact the cossies were always breaking).
Also i bet the article you read was from a US magazine where folks no nothing about handling!
Thirdly the S14 engine was one of the first mass produced engines to offer close to 100bhp per liter (in 320iS form it made 196bhp from 2 lt).
Then you have the chassis which has almost nothing to do with the normal E30 and was developed for Motorsport and then for the public(and that says allot).
Then you have all the major racing drivers swearing by this car as the best RWD car ever.
Yes technology has moved on but considering you still see cars with 300K km on the clock and handle and go as they were new says alot.

And E36 mechanicals were nothing but a marvel. Even the Z3 used stuff from that era.
The crank on the BMW M3 was so stiff that it was able to run even at speeds of 10,000 rpm and more. Back then that was F1 territory and even today that is very impressive!

I challenge you to go out and find a car that
a) looks as good
b)goes and handles just as well
c)can take 4 with luggage(or even 5)
d)is just as reliable
e)has a similar heritage
f)in 20 years it will still be competitive.
g)and has a similar resale value

No disrespect but as it was said earlier if you dont know what it really is then dont try and put it down.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"

Last edited by magnus; 04-29-2008 at 05:58 PM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
First of all lets see in 20 years from now what the S2000 will be worth.
The reason why m3 costs so much is because it's a rather low production car.

Quote:
Secondly the E30 was a far superior car than the Merc 190 and the Cossies.
Facts please.

Quote:
Also i bet the article you read was from a US magazine where folks no nothing about handling!

Quote:
Thirdly the S14 engine was one of the first mass produced engines to offer close to 100bhp per liter (in 320iS form it made 196bhp from 2 lt).
192hp, or 189hp on this side of the pond.
One of the doesn't count, Honda's b16 was first and for much cheaper.

Quote:
Then you have all the major racing drivers swearing by this car as the best RWD car ever.
OK, this smells of BS way too much. I'd love to see some quotes.

Quote:
Yes technology has moved on but considering you still see cars with 300K km on the clock and handle and go as they were new says alot.
I doubt a car with 300k parts on it would handle as good as new, no matter what car is it.

Quote:
The crank on the BMW M3 was so stiff that it was able to run even at speeds of 10,000 rpm and more. Back then that was F1 territory and even today that is very impressive!
And what was happening to the valves at 10k rpm?

Quote:
I challenge you to go out and find a car that
a) looks as good
b)goes and handles just as well
c)can take 4 with luggage(or even 5)
d)is just as reliable
e)has a similar heritage
f)in 20 years it will still be competitive.
g)and has a similar resale value

No disrespect but as it was said earlier if you dont know what it really is then dont try and put it down.
a) looks is personal, so why even mention it?
b) as we established, today it's not such a great handling car
c) many cars
d) it's not that reliable!! It is a VERY high maintenance car.
e) What kind of heritage does it have? It was a successful touring car, but so was e36 and e46
f) see b
g) supra, skyline, delta integrale evo. 190e evo2 costs much more than m3 sport evo
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Lee
Original BMW Teile

Quote:
I didn't know that used S2000s sold for $35k these days. Which is the price for a good Evo3, but nothing exceptional. Minters are $50k these days if you can find one. Very few were made (600 units). Welcome to the world of e30 M3s. The winningest Touring car of automotive history.

Last edited by Lee; 04-29-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: